Review Dracula (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Dracula1st.jpeg

Sherlock co-creator Mark Gatiss gives a timeframe for SHERLOCK'S potential return - and in the meantime, drops some hints about his new project DRACULA, complete with vampire impression.
Steven Moffat will be Gattis' collaborator on this project.

Doctor Omega

They have not even put pen to paper yet and I already know that Gattis and Moffat would have to put a gun against my head to make me watch this thing. :emoji_head_bandage:

And despite his squirming reply it seems clear to me that Gattis has, indeed, already bagged the role of Renfield for himself.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Sherlock” Team Plan New “Dracula” Mini-Series

“Sherlock” creators and “Doctor Who” producers Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss are re-teaming for a new event series adaptation of Bram Stoker’s 1897 novel classic “Dracula” for BBC One in the UK and Netflix worldwide.

The one-off will consist of three feature-length episodes. Piers Wenger and Charlotte Moore commissioned the series, which is written and created by Moffat and Gatiss who released a statement saying: “There have always been stories about great evil. What’s special about Dracula is that Bram Stoker gave evil its own hero.”

Countless adaptations of the work have hit the big and small screen over the years. In the last five years alone Jonathan Rhys-Meyers played the role in NBC’s short-lived series “Dracula,” Christian Camargo took on the part in Showtime’s “Penny Dreadful,” Graham McTavish voiced the character in Netflix’s “Castlevania” animated series, and Luke Evans played a spin on him in the big-budget feature “Dracula Untold”.

Doctor Omega

The series will consist of three 90-minute episodes, just like Sherlock, and it will air on BBC One in the UK and Netflix everywhere else. The two companies will co-produce the series together.
The Beeb’s official press bumf says this about the plot:

“Three feature length episodes will re-introduce the world to Dracula, the vampire who made evil sexy. In Transylvania in 1897, the blood-drinking Count is drawing his plans against Victorian London. And be warned: the dead travel fast.”
Moffat and Gatiss released this joint statement:

“There have always been stories about great evil. What’s special about Dracula, is that Bram Stoker gave evil its own hero.”
The BBC’s controller of drama, Piers Wenger, said this:

“Steven and Mark’s ingenious vision for Dracula is as clever as it is chilling. In their talented hands the fans will experience the power of Bram Stoker’s creation as if completely anew. We are thrilled to be collaborating with them and the brilliant team at Hartswood on yet another iconic British series.”
And Sue Vertue, who is set executive produce the series through Hartswood Films, added this:

“We are absolutely thrilled to be back at the BBC, and also delighted that Netflix are coming on board with Dracula. There’s nothing like fresh blood.”

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I'm just imagining what the writing process is like.

"What if, instead of them killing Lucy, they are able to bring her back to being human?"

"Steven, are you daft? Her death is a catalyst of sorts, which shows the horror that Dracula has brought to England, and reinforces their efforts to destroy him in the end!"

"Ah, yes...let me bounce something off ya, Mark...what if...we don't kill Dracula in the end, eh? What if...they find a cure, like a crack in the wall, or..."

"Fuck off, mate! I knew I should have written this with Stephen King! At least he knows how to kill someone off without getting all weepy over it!"

Doctor Omega

Claes Bang Is “Dracula” For “Sherlock” Team

claes-bang-is-dracula-for-sherlock-team-696x464.jpg

Claes Bang (“The Square,” “The Girl in the Spider’s Web,” “Borgen”) is set to star in the title role in a new three-part “Dracula” mini-series for Netflix and BBC and hailing from “Sherlock” creators Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss and Hartswood Films.

Inspired by Bram Stroker’s classic novel, the three 90-minute episodes will re-introduce the world to Dracula in 1897 Transylvania where the blood drinking Count is drawing his plans against Victoria London. Moffat and Gatiss penned and executive produce the series and filming begins next year.

Bang said in a statement: “I am thrilled to be taking on the role of Dracula, especially when the script is in the hands of the incredible talents of Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss and the team responsible for Sherlock. I’m so excited that I get to dig into this iconic and super-interesting character. Yes, he’s evil, but there’s also so much more to him, he’s charismatic, intelligent, witty and sexy. I realize that there’s a lot to live up to with all the amazing people that have played him over the years, but I feel so privileged, to be taking on this incredible character.”

Moffat, who served as showrunner on “Doctor Who” until recently, previously did a six-part contemporary take on “Jekyll and Hyde” called “Jekyll”.

Doctor Omega

Has no one actually read the novel? Dracula wasn't sexy!

I remember a fan of the novel reacting badly to the romantically doomed Oldman Dracula in a documentary. Yes, they really need to go back to the source and get it right for once. As it stands this looks like another pointless, inaccurate retelling.

Have to say the BBC Louis Jordan one was probably my favourite in terms of adapting the novel......

Dracula 5.jpg

and Max Shreck in terms of making Dracula/Orlok himself one scary mo-fo!

fe78774555e4bee38f16c9c9f378a87e.jpg

And his cousin - twice removed - Reggie Nalder, didn't do me any favours either........

88488620160906054829.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Dracula will be “the hero of his own story” in radical reinterpretation by Sherlock creators

Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss says the switch-up was their main pitch to Netflix and the BBC – but it’s been giving them some problems…

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-02-15/dracula-will-be-the-hero-of-his-own-story-in-radical-reinterpretation-by-sherlock-creators/

While Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss’s new Dracula TV series won’t be bringing the iconic vampire to the present day (as the duo did with a certain Baker Street sleuth for Sherlock), the pair have revealed they are making one big change to previous adaptations of Bram Stoker’s original novel.

Speaking exclusively at the Radio Times Covers Party, the pair revealed that their big pitch to the BBC and Netflix has been to finally make Dracula “the hero of his own story” – the central focus of the narrative rather than a shadowy villain for more traditional heroes to overcome.

“There’s lots of things that are challenging about Dracula,” Moffat said.

“Having an evil lead character is actually really difficult. That’s been the main challenge I think. But how we’ve handled, that you’ll have to wait and see.”

“It’s been very exciting though,” Gatiss added.

“Because we sort of made a promise to ourselves and the people who are making it, paying for it, that we’d make Dracula the hero of his own story, and less of a shadowy presence.

“And that’s a really clever idea, but we had to make good on it!”

In Bram Stoker’s original epistolary novel of 1897, Dracula is only ever seen through the eyes of humans trying to escape him or bring him to heel, with the Count representing a malevolent threat to humanity without any real sense of his inner life or perspective.

According to Moffat and Gatiss, their new Dracula – played by Danish actor Claes Bang – will bring that interiority on screen. Though, as noted above, it’s not been quite as easy as they anticipated when they first pitched the reinterpretation…

“We quickly found out why he’s often kept a shadowy presence!” joked Moffat.

“So it’s hard work, but I think it’s worked. It’s worked well I think, so far.”

Considering the duo have just written the final words of the three-part series’ last episode, fingers crossed they worked out the kinks in the end.

Dracula will begin shooting later this year

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

finally make Dracula “the hero of his own story rather than a shadowy villain for more traditional heroes to overcome.
Why do these idiots always try to reinvent the wheel?

And that’s a really clever idea

Guys, you wouldn't know one of those if you fell over it.

Doctor Omega

Not confirmed yet, but am hearing that Van Helsing is now a woman - possibly played by Catherine Schell.

I am dismissing this as gossip though - as there is no way those two genius' Moffat and Gatiss would be tasteless or talentless enough to support or put into action the change the gender of a character in a classic of storytelling. :emoji_disappointed:

Last edited: