News Dune: Part 1 (2020)

duzit

Member: Rank 6
Looking forward to this as I did like the 1984 version. With better visual effects it should be stunning.
The "Sandworms" were a precursor to the "graboid" creatures in Tremors.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
In 1973, film producer Arthur P. Jacobs optioned the film rights to Dune but died before a film could be developed. The option was then taken over two years later by director Alejandro Jodorowsky, who proceeded to approach, among others, Peter Gabriel, the prog rock groups Pink Floyd and Magma for some of the music, artists H. R. Giger and Jean Giraud for set and character design, Dan O'Bannon for special effects, and Salvador Dalí, Orson Welles, Gloria Swanson and others for the cast.

Frank Herbert traveled to Europe in 1976 to find that $2 million of the $9.5 million budget had already been spent in pre-production, and that Jodorowsky's script would result in a 14-hour movie ("It was the size of a phonebook", Herbert later recalled). Jodorowsky took creative liberties with the source material, but Herbert said that he and Jodorowsky had an amicable relationship. The project ultimately stalled for financial reasons. The film rights lapsed until 1982, when they were purchased by Italian filmmaker Dino DeLaurentiis, who eventually released the 1984 film Dune, directed by David Lynch.

A documentary was made about this lost cinematic incarnation of Dune.....

Doctor Omega

Villeneuve Putting “Dune” Over Next Bond

villeneuve-putting-dune-over-next-bond-696x464.jpg

Coming off the critical success but commercial disappointment of “Blade Runner 2049,” filmmaker Denis Villeneuve now has to decide what to put his focus on next.

At last report he was mulling several projects, most notably his long-gestating new film adaptation of Frank Herbert’s “Dune” and Daniel Craig’s potential final outing in the role of James Bond. Well, now we can scratch the latter off the list.

Speaking with The Playlist, he confirms he’s still working on the script for “Dune” and so can’t do Bond due to scheduling issues – though may come back around to it one day:

Daniel Craig is a very inspiring actor and I had some contact and the thing is that I’m busy right now doing ‘Dune.’ But, I will say to have the privilege to work with him it would be a dream. I would love to work with Daniel and a Bond movie for me would be a treat. It’s a matter of timing, I guess.”

The next film in the series has been widely reported as being Craig’s final outing in the role. “Dune” still doesn’t have a target start of production date.

Doctor Omega

Villeneuve Planning Two “Dune” Films?

villeneuve-planning-two-dune-films-696x464.jpg

Appearing in Quebec this week for a special screening and Q&A regarding “Blade Runner 2049,” filmmaker Denis Villeneuve offered a quick update on his planned film adaptation of Frank Herbert’s iconic sci-fi saga “Dune”.

The book, the first in a series, is famously dense and ambitious which explains why Villeneuve says it will take some time to make and won’t fit one film: “Dune will probably take two years to make. The goal is to make two films, maybe more.”.

David Lynch is the only filmmaker who has previously tried to adapt the work for the big screen, the result famously departing from it (especially in the second half). Of course the question is are audiences willing to flock out to see the first part?

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Last time, as I recall, this happened with THE HOBBIT.

Then it suddenly inflated to three films.

With all that extra popcorn at stake, I expect the same to happen here.
Yeah but in this case there's definitely enough material for 2 movies in the book. Unlike the Hobbit which would have been perfect as a single movie or maybe 2 with the additional storylines of the White Council.

Doctor Omega

Villeneuve Offers An Update On “Dune”

villeneuve-offers-an-update-on-dune-696x464.jpg

French-Canadian director Denis Villeneuve has given an update on his planned new adaptation of Frank Herbert’s iconic sci-fi novel “Dune”.

Prior to departing for the Cannes Film Festival, Villeneuve spoke with Quebec publication La Press and confirmed (via Reddit translation) the script’s status and confirmed that it will be a two-film adaptation:

“Eric Roth has written the first draft and then I worked on it on my side. I have not had such fun creatively since “Incendies”. I wish I could direct both movies at the same time but it would have been too expensive. We’ll do them one at a time.”

Villeneuve adds that he plans to start pre-production on the film ‘soon’. He previously indicated the project would ultimately take two years to make.

Two completed adaptations of the work have been brought to the screen – David Lynch’s 1984 film and Syfy’s 2000 mini-series, neither was well-received. A big part of the problem is the work is so dense both thematically and in its world-building that a single film struggles to contain it.

Doctor Omega

Rebecca Ferguson In Talks To Join “Dune”

rebecca-ferguson-in-talks-to-join-dune-696x464.jpg

“Mission: Impossible” franchise scene stealer Rebecca Ferguson is reportedly in negotiations to join filmmaker Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming new two-film adaptation of Frank Herbert’s sci-fi classic “Dune” at Legendary.

Set in the distant future, the story follows Paul Atreides (Timothee Chalamet) whose noble family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only planet capable of producing the highly valuable resource known as the spice melange which allows for space travel, control of Arrakis is highly contested amongst the noble families.

When the Atreides are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as a betrayed Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

If Ferguson signs on, she will play Paul’s mother Lady Jessica who escapes with him into the desert and helps him become the saviour known as the Mahdi in the eyes of the planet’s native inhabitants the Fremen.

Famed British actress Francesca Annis previously played the role in the 1984 David Lynch film, while Saskia Reeves and Alice Krige took on the parts in Syfy’s 2000 mini-series and 2003 “Children of Dune” mini-series respectively.

The project is targeting an early 2019 start of production. Villeneuve, Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts wrote the script and Villeneuve is producing along with Mary Parent and Cale Boyter.

Ferguson is currently shooting the new “Men In Black” film and will star in the Stephen King adaptation “Doctor Sleep” which begins filming later this year.

Doctor Omega

Chalamet’s “Dune” Interest Is Villeneuve

chalamets-dune-interest-is-villeneuve-1-696x464.jpg

Following breakout turns in “Call Me By Your Name” and “Lady Bird” last year, Timothee Chalamet returns with the upcoming addiction drama “Beautiful Boy”.

Speaking about that film whilst on the Fall film festival circuit recently, the actor touched upon his next projects which includes his role as King Henry V in David Michod’s “The King” and will soon include the lead role of Paul Atreides in the Denis Villeneuve-helmed two-film adaptation of “Dune”.

Villeneuve has long been working on this new take on the Frank Herbert classic, with recent reports of Chalamet’s casting and Rebecca Ferguson being set to play his mother sparking much interest. Asked about the appeal of the project, Chalamet seems to indicate it’s less about the original material and more the helmer.

“Denis is one of my favorite filmmakers. I want to work with any and all, and that’s not a hyperbolic use of those words, ‘great filmmakers.’ But, what’s especially inspiring about Denis films are the size of them. They reach a big audience. These are films meant to play in front of big crowds. And, conversely, he’s also made movies like ‘Incendies’ that are like intimate affairs. So, that would be a dream come true and is going to be a dream come true. And, I’m chomping at the bits for that experience. I can’t wait.”

Production dates for “Dune” have yet to be set. “Beautiful Boy” opens October 12th while “The King” hits Netflix next year.

Doctor Omega

Dave Bautista Joins The “Dune” Remake

is-dave-bautista-in-eternal-warrior-696x464.jpg

“Guardians of the Galaxy” star Dave Bautista is set to join Timothee Chalamet and Rebecca Ferguson in filmmaker Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming new two-film adaptation of Frank Herbert’s sci-fi classic “Dune” at Legendary.

Set in the distant future, the story follows Paul Atreides (Chalamet) whose noble family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only planet capable of producing the highly valuable resource known as the spice melange which allows for space travel, control of Arrakis is highly contested amongst the noble families.

When the Atreides are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as a betrayed Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis. Ferguson plays Paul’s mother Lady Jessica who escapes with him into the desert and helps him become the saviour known as the Mahdi,

Bautista will take on the role of Rabban, the sadistic nephew of the film’s villain Baron Vladimir Harkonnen who oversees Arrakis. Villeneuve, Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts wrote the script and Villeneuve is producing along with Mary Parent and Cale Boyter.

The property has been twice translated to the screen before – by David Lynch in a 1985 film, and in a Syfy mini-series in 2000.

Doctor Omega

Skarsgard Is Harkonnen In The New “Dune”

skarsgard-watson-join-chernobyl-mini-series-696x464.jpg

Stellan Skarsgard has reportedly been cast as the main villain, Baron Harkonnen, in the upcoming new adaptation of Frank Herbert’s “Dune” at Legendary Pictures.

Set in the distant future, the story follows Paul Atreides (Timothee Chalamet) whose noble family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only planet capable of producing the highly valuable resource known as the spice melange which allows for space travel, control of Arrakis is highly contested amongst the noble families.

When the Atreides are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as a betrayed Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis. Rebecca Ferguson was in talks to play Paul’s mother Lady Jessica.

Skarsgard’s Harkonnen is the head of one of the great houses, a family that previously ruled Arrakis and has a long hatred of the Atreides. He plots with the galactic emperor to destroy the Atreides. He is also the uncle to a brutish character Rabban (Dave Bautista).

The property has been twice translated to the screen before – by David Lynch in a 1985 film, and in a Syfy mini-series in 2000. Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts wrote the script for the new take which may begin filming as soon as next year.

Doctor Omega

Charlotte Rampling Joins Villeneuve’s “Dune”

charlotte-rampling-joins-villeneuves-dune-696x464.jpg

Celebrated actress Charlotte Rampling (“45 Years”) has joined the cast of Denis Villeneuve’s adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel “Dune” for Legendary Pictures.

Rampling will play the Reverend Mother Mohiam, a powerful figure in the Bene Gesserit order and Emperor Shadam IV’s truthsayer. She can divine intentions, suss out lies and manipulate people’s emotional states.

When the Atreides are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as a betrayed Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis. Rebecca Ferguson plays Paul’s mother Lady Jessica who escapes with him into the desert and helps him become the saviour known as the Mahdi. Rampling’s character trained Lady Jessica in the ways of the Bene Gesserit.

Dave Bautista and Stellan Skarsgard also star. Villeneuve, Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts penned the script which Villeneuve, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter are producing.

Sian Phillips famously played the role in the original David Lynch film, while Zuzana Geislerova took on the part in the two Syfy mini-series in the early 2000s.