Review E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial (1982)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
adf.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie....

A troubled child summons the courage to help a friendly alien escape Earth and return to his home world.

Last edited:

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I think I was one of the few kids who didn't like this film, and I still don't like it.
I do always get sad when ET gets left behind.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Mixed emotions - I've just been commenting on the Poltergeist thread and it's odd. This one - a kids' film dammit - I find more disturbing. Not that it's an English/ American thing: although when I open a wardrobe door I'd rather find Narnia than a little outer space dude - it's that one scene when the Grown Ups of Stern Authority invade, with their plastic tunnels , big boots, and - oh yes - end up killing E.T. (a bit). It's just horribly overbearing and claustrophobic and infuriating. Spielberg nail it - fascism awareness 101. Good bloke, but for me - difficult to watch.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Same here!!. I always found E.T. much more disturbing than poltergeist and now I'm shocked that you feel the same way I do comparing exactly those 2 movies... amazing. Maybe they have something in common... Poltergeist was supposed to be a horror movie but turned out to be spooky in a good way and E.T. was supposed to be a kids movie and it always gave me the creeps, there is something truly wrong with E.T.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
votd-henry-thomas-et-reunite-for-an-ad.jpg

Henry Thomas & ET Reunite For An Ad

http://www.darkhorizons.com/votd-henry-thomas-et-reunite-for-an-ad/

Comcast, who owns Universal Pictures, has debuted a new four-minute Xfinity ad titled “A Holiday Reunion” which serves as a pseudo-sequel to Steven Spielberg’s classic ” E.T. the Extraterrestrial”.

Actor Henry Thomas reprises his role of Elliott opposite the puppet in the story in which the alien visits his friend for the holiday and learns that Elliott now has a family of his own and that technology has completely changed on Earth since his last visit.

“Lost in Translation” cinematographer Lance Acord helmed the short ad which did not have Steven Spielberg involved beyond serving as a consultant. He did, however, give the ad his blessing.

Thomas says: “Looking at the storyboards, I could see exactly why Steven was really behind it because the integrity of the story isn’t lost in this retelling.”