Review Earthshock (1982)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
the_fifth_doctor.jpg

869b7cfcb2d60c9e7de5357336596000.jpg

Your thoughts on this story....

In 2526, 8 Earth paleontologists and geologist were investigating a fossil find in a newly discovered case when 7 of them disappear. The only one who seems to have got out is Professor Kyle. She accompanies Lt. Scott and his troop of soldiers into the unmapped caves to see if they can find her colleagues. What they find however is the Doctor and his traveling companions Nyssa, Adric and Tegan who have also just arrived in the TARDIS. They're near the location where the scientific expedition was attacked and Scott suspects the Doctor. There are others in the in the subterranean structures however.

On to the next story....

TIMEFLIGHT

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/timeflight-1982.3711/

Back to the previous story....

BLACK ORCHID

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/black-orchid-1982.5303/

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
An all round great story. The shock of seeing the Cybermen at the end of the first episode. A solid amount of death and destruction (before such things came to be standard). The sudden (and final) death of Adric (complete with silent credits at the end).

Doctor Omega

That is one thing that winds me up about the newer series. That constant trumpeting of "We are honestly going to kill someone off for real this time!"

513sh1+hcrL.jpg

And then some kind of cop out.

I would like to have seen them really do it, just once.

But I know it will never happen now. Well, 99 percent certain that they would never go there.

I just wish they would stop making out that they will. It's old hat.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I would like to have seen them really do it, just once.
So would I, but it is something that you can only do effectively once and then you need a long gap before it happens again. The original series killed off Katarina and Sara Kingdom in 1965? and then it wasn't until almost 20 years later that Adric was killed. The new series needs to make a decision to kill a companion and not chicken out but they need to make sure it's the right one because if it then becomes a regular thing it will lose all impact. Clara was really the obvious choice. They could have just finished her final episode with her going back to die rather than running off to explore the universe. It would have had emotional impact and would have meant that Bill going off to explore the universe wouldn't have seemed so derivative.

Doctor Omega

Adric.jpg

“I was absolutely petrified. I remember very clearly my journey on the Tube the morning of the first day and sitting there, I have never been so frightened and excited in my life. And I remember arriving at the read-through and Tom was late, so we were all sitting around the table waiting for the read-through to begin, and he stalked in, in his mac, his brown mac, and I was physically shaking. It was extraordinary. Extraordinarily frightening, a very surreal first day. But maybe since ‘Doctor Who’ is essentially surreal, that’s not a bad way to approach it.

“Tom doesn’t take prisoners, and I think the fact that I was doubtless this immensely irritating, but sweet and unaffected kid, he didn’t give me any leeway at all. It was the most terrifying day of my life. And I wanted him to love me, I wanted him to think ‘Oh what a wonderful boy, what a gifted lad’. I’ve never wanted someone to like me so much in my entire life, and that first day he didn’t really speak to me. He stalked into rehearsals, sat there in his brown coat, read the thing and sat there and smoked cigarettes… he chain-smoked them if I remember rightly. I was absolutely terrified, but it also seemed to be confirming the glamour of it as well. I think he’d be appalled to hear me say this, but to me, as a middle-class kid from commuterville, it was unbelievable. I mean, I’d never been away from my parents for more than two weeks at a time, and there I was working with this frightening man, tall, larger than life man, and I remember on the first day he didn’t really acknowledge me.

“I tried to stand near him in the pub, I remember he went to the pub at lunchtime so I went to the pub and I wanted him to see me. I think I edged a little nearer along the bar so I was only two people away from him, hoping he’d say hello to me, but he didn’t. So I went back and we got back to rehearsal, and we had to do a scene together, and he said ‘Hello, I haven’t said hello to you, have I?’, I said ‘Hi’, I thought ‘He likes me’, he smiled at me… and then I made a suggestion about something, I said ‘Why don’t we try that’, and he said ‘Why don’t you piss off?’. I thought ‘That’s not a very good start, maybe he doesn’t like me after all’, so I went home distraught, thinking ‘He’s my favourite actor in the world and he doesn’t like me, he thinks I’m horrible’. So that was my first day.

“I’m not sure what he thought about having a heroic boy in ‘Doctor Who’. I’m not sure he thought it was the bee’s knees. He’d rather have had twenty-five year old girls rather than heroic teenage boys… in fact I’m pretty sure of that because he once said ‘I hate this fucking character’, so that was a clue. I liked the character because it got me into ‘Doctor Who’ and that was enough for me. But Tom could be very sweet, he could be very kind, very generous to me, and his great quality, which I admire so much, is that he’s so funny, and out of the ordinary, and the only thing I’ve ever wanted in my life is to be out of the ordinary. I don’t want to be ordinary. I don’t know what ordinary is, but I don’t want to be it. And Tom wasn’t.

“The atmosphere on ‘Doctor Who’ with Tom was pretty fraught, there’s no point pretending it wasn’t. In some ways I think I wasn’t equipped to deal with that fraughtness, because I was too young and… stupid to deal with it. But he could suddenly be unbelievably generous. He could be very nice to me in many ways. I think jelly babies have a lot to do with it, and I think the hat has a lot to do with it, and the scarf. Of course I had a vast amount to do with the success and popularity of ‘Doctor Who’ at that time, but I think Tom also made a contribution.” (smiles)

Doctor Omega

I actually think that Beryl Reid did just fine in this story, though most of her co-stars mock her casting on the commentaries and interviews.

She says her lines with conviction.... "There's a chance!" etc. and the fact that she really had no clue what the script was about was, to my mind, irrelevant. She pitched her performance just fine and faked that she knew what she was talking about very convincingly imo, as befits a professional actress of her calibre and lengthy career.

Am surprised that a woman was cast as a ship's captain though, considering that the Classic Show's rigid and unbreakable rule was to "celebrate the white male gaze".....

Df6u60zX4AADGpR.jpg