Review Eureka (2006-2012)

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Watching this show for the first time. It's original and fun and wacky with interesting science concepts in almost every episode. Eureka is a town housing a community of geniuses, everyone a top scientist in his or her field all working for the mysterious Global Dynamics, a state funded organization responsible for every scientific advancement mankind has made for the past 50 years. Amazing experiments taking place too in futuristic technologies. Every episode something bizarre happens as either accidentally or deliberately an experiment causes chaos and the consequences are felt in Eureka, such as time eddies, mini black holes, psychic phenomena etc. Into this steps the only non IQ genius, Sherriff Jack Carter ( Colin Ferguson) trying to use his law and order badge to bring these rampaging scientists under control.
I'm up to season 4 and enjoying it immensely. This season had started with Carter and others time travelling back to 1947 to the birth of Eureka and inadvertently altering their futures. Recommend show.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I've seen every episode M and am thrilled that you've discovered it to be just as fun and fantastic as I did! It is certainly what I'd consider to be "bingable" TV.

I also took your advice and started B's-7 by watching Horizon and then going back to S1/E1 and watched up until #4. For me, however, B's is not as "bingeable" as I struggle with shows centered around dystopian societies. Personally, it feels to me as if the US has been living in one since 2001 and the situation has only worsened as corporations get larger and larger, eating smaller and larger companies as they go until we finally put a failed CEO in the head office of our Govt.....

I find it difficult to watch what so many are actually living in and much prefer escapist shows with both humor and intelligence in them to distract me from what is going on in our country and, to a degree, in my own life as well. I'll keep watching for a while but honestly am not too optimistic that I'll be able to finish it. Jenna and Gan are my two favorite characters and I know that they both disappear by the end of S/2. Not being a fan of either Avon or Van (Fan?), or even Zen for that matter, I'm just not certain it's a show that'll keep me in my seat throughout the whole run. I do see what others like in it in the same way I can see why GoT is so popular. It's just that they aren't the type of shows that I'm particularly drawn to. But, as I said, I will keep watching more of S/1 and see how I feel at the end of it. It also doesn't help that the theme music for the show makes me so crazy I have to mute it until it ends..... Sorry my friend, but I'm afraid it probably won't end up as "must see TV" for this Norwegian.... as much as I love their badass female leader!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: But DBs for Eureka! :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

michaellevenson

I've seen every episode M and am thrilled that you've discovered it to be just as fun and fantastic as I did! It is certainly what I'd consider to be "bingable" TV.

I also took your advice and started B's-7 by watching Horizon and then going back to S1/E1 and watched up until #4. For me, however, B's is not as "bingeable" as I struggle with shows centered around dystopian societies. Personally, it feels to me as if the US has been living in one since 2001 and the situation has only worsened as corporations get larger and larger, eating smaller and larger companies as they go until we finally put a failed CEO in the head office of our Govt.....

I find it difficult to watch what so many are actually living in and much prefer escapist shows with both humor and intelligence in them to distract me from what is going on in our country and, to a degree, in my own life as well. I'll keep watching for a while but honestly am not too optimistic that I'll be able to finish it. Jenna and Gan are my two favorite characters and I know that they both disappear by the end of S/2. Not being a fan of either Avon or Van (Fan?), or even Zen for that matter, I'm just not certain it's a show that'll keep me in my seat throughout the whole run. I do see what others like in it in the same way I can see why GoT is so popular. It's just that they aren't the type of shows that I'm particularly drawn to. But, as I said, I will keep watching more of S/1 and see how I feel at the end of it. It also doesn't help that the theme music for the show makes me so crazy I have to mute it until it ends..... Sorry my friend, but I'm afraid it probably won't end up as "must see TV" for this Norwegian.... as much as I love their badass female leader!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: But DBs for Eureka! :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:
Hope the B7 experience gets better for you. You have 48 to go, however here is a list of 27 episodes that you could concentrate on, these will give you a good B7 experience without doing all 52 episodes.
Obviously I'd recommend doing all 52 but this might be an idea to suit you.

Season 1
6. Seek locate Destroy
9.Project Avalon
12.Deliverance
13.Orac
Season 2
1.Redemption
5.Pressure point
6. Trial
9.Countdown
11.Gambit
12 The Keeper
13.Star One
Season 3
1.Aftermath
2.Powerplay
6.City at the edge of the World
7.Children of Auron
8.Rumours of Death
9.Sarcophagus
13.Terminal
Season4
1.Rescue
2.Power
3.Traitor
4.Stardrive
8.Games
9.Sand
11. Orbit
12.Warlord
13.Blake.
Finally I'm not sure B7 is ' bingeable"
The age of the show means it's very wordy, needs concentration to get all the plot nuances, so maybe one a day would be more enjoyable.

Last edited:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Hope the B7 experience gets better for you. You have 48 to go, however here is a list of 27 episodes that you could concentrate on, these will give you a good B7 experience without doing all 52 episodes.
Wow M!

Nobody has ever worked so hard in service of a show they love, to help a "newbie" get the feel of what makes everyone else so fanatic about it. As I said, I intend to watch at least all of the first season but now, I'll concentrate on your recommendations in the hope that they will get me through to series 2. And you're incredibly astute in your observations about the dialogue on the show. I find more than a bit of it cumbersome and rather clunky... which seems to get in the way (for me at least) of establishing a solid relationship with any of the characters. It's clearly not the actors themselves, although sometimes it feels as if they're not even quite sure of where they're supposed to be going, it's more that the script isn't giving them enough personal identity to feed off of, which leaves them entirely on their own in terms of creating their characters and the feel of the "world" those characters are really living in.

To a degree, I would use Farscape as a comparison and for contrast as well. All the characters were thrown together in a rather dystopian part of the universe (most were escapees from a prison ship) few spoke each other's language although that was dealt with by tech. and then enter one human from a completely different universe with no experience of any of it whatsoever. As I see it, in many ways, Blake's 7 was at least in part, a foundation of what Farscape was built upon. It would also be unfair to say that Farscape didn't rotate it's central characters on a somewhat regular basis. But I would also have to add that in the final analysis, Farscape was a symphony while Blake's 7 merely a Quartet. That in no way diminishes it, as I've spent enough time playing in orchestras to know that quartets are capable of phenomenally beautiful work and are essentially a perfect representation of the string section in miniature.

So I'll print your list of B7 eps and watch those, keeping everything I've just said in mind and say thank you for all the work you keep putting into making B7 a positive experience for me and one that I can share from a much better perspective with other fans because of all the work you've done.

Let me know when you finish Eureka and we can share our favorite episodes and compare notes on what made it work so well and....
what occasionally failed.... (as much as I hate to say it Sci-Fi was guilty of losing site of their goals on more than one occasion and don't even get me started on the changeover to "Sy-Fy"- which we pronounced "Sifee") And thank you again M. You've got me committed to watching it and that's really saying something!

:emoji_kiss: :emoji_dancer: And a bunch of DBs for all your hard work!! :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
here is a list of 27 episodes that you could concentrate on, these will give you a good B7 experience without doing all 52 episodes.
OK Micheal,

I'm printing your list as I write this and only have one question.....
Would you like me to report back in at the end of each episode viewing or wait and report at the end of each series? Obviously reporting on each episode would be pretty brief and waiting until the series and would lead to lengthy discourse probably including specific episodes along with remarks on the series itself as a whole.

Hmmmmm..... time or brevity? Isn't that really what most of life's choices boil down to in the end?????????

:emoji_kiss::emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

michaellevenson

OK Micheal,

Would you like me to report back in at the end of each episode viewing or wait and report at the end of each series? Obviously reporting on each episode would be pretty brief and waiting until the series and would lead to lengthy discourse probably including specific episodes along with remarks on the series itself as a whole.

Hmmmmm..... time or brevity? Isn't that really what most of life's choices boil down to in the end?????????

Whatever is easier for you.
There's a couple of threads already on the B7 franchise zone you could use, or you could start a thread, something like " A Newbie Reports" or " wacky Norwegian on B7". I'm sure other fans would respond.

michaellevenson

OK Micheal,

Still enjoying Eureka, just got to the point of Beverly Barlow returning and planting a device inside Alison's brain to control her. So looking forward to see if this changed reality post the1947 time travel escapade will stick or not.