Fun Eurovision

Hux

Member: Rank 6

Anyone watching this annual celebration of all things cheese flavoured?

Me and the woman will be occasionally flicking over but the fun apart is when they do the points.

If they hated us before Brexit, God knows what they'll think post Brexit (put your money on nil points).

Favourites: Italy, Portugal, Bulgaria, Belgium.

Let the lameness commence.

duzit

@TheSowIsMine said: "This is one of the times Im ashamed of being European"

Please explain this event to a USA member. What makes this so embarrassing?

Don't forget, we USA people have a very big embarrassment that's going to be

hard to beat ! ! !

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Anyone watching this annual celebration of all things cheese flavoured?
Just replied to your Timeless update before spotting this!
Tempted by both Armenia and Portugal, but held out for Belarus in the final analysis.

Went with Ken Bruce this year, backed up by Guardian live blog - I have been howling with laughter at some of the comments AND the alarming noises coming from my radio...the Swiss (not participating) are apparently extremely peeved by the Romanian cultural appropriation of yodelling, and by all accounts I missed out on not seeing the Croatian sing a duet with himself and some very pretty Greek men splashing around in a paddling pool.

Your runners and riders, Hux?

@duzit Sorry sweetie, didn't spot your question at first - well, we embrace the kitsch, the naff presenters and the interminable length of time it takes to get to the result. The shame is in the cynical partisan voting rather than letting it all hang out as a cheerfully daft SONG contest - about the music not the politics...
Europe is drunk tonight - but the Russkies took their ball home sulking so might have invaded anywhere by this time tomorrow, we'll still be sleeping it off...

Hux

Given Australia's involvement, they should rename it... The cheesy fuck song festival. Let everyone take part and heartily embarrass themselves. Why let Europe hog all the self-conscious, head dropping shame?

Carol

Given Australia's involvement
But weren't they invited in the first place, as a fun one-off, just because they are such keen viewers of the thing? And given all the Aussies with European roots who want to join in (and remember why their ancestors emigrated in the first place), who are we to say no to such enthusiasm?
And where exactly were the Irish tonight? Surely not knocked out in the semis?

Hux

Remember the good ol' days when they announced all the points. Now they just announce the 12.

Portugal on course to win. Didn't actually hear that one.

Carol

Portugal on course to win.
Would have been my number 3 choice, but can no longer remember exactly why - nice-sounding bloke, tweedling nicely in a tuneful manner.
I gather the flasher was an Aussie, and also that Israel has decided it really isn't in Europe after all and doesn't want to play and more...shame I remember Dana International with great affection.

STOP PRESS: bugger me! 3 points to UK from the French jury. THEY DON'T HATE US!

Carol

Going on radio alone, techno morris dancing has just broken out on the KIev stage... I need a wee for the first time in 3 hours...tell me if I miss anything!
Iceland are being very generous to us - and Guardian blog update BTL suggests that Portugal is on a roll because the Pope canonised 2 Portuguese children today.

Oz just gave us the Twelve Points... lovely!