Review Fan Theories!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
HideVortex.jpg

The history of Doctor Who is littered with room for surprising theories, along with crazy contradictions and seeming continuity gaffes.

Fans delight in expounding on these theories and also trying to make sense of any seeming errors...

Can we? :emoji_confused:

Discuss the crazier corners of the Doctor Who saga here!

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Some off the top of my head....

• Did Susan really make up the name TARDIS? That makes her pretty important, surely?
  • Was his name really Doctor Who?
  • Was there a season 6B Doctor?
  • Why did the Cybertombs look so different in Attack of the Cybermen?
  • UNIT dating.
  • Why was Torchwood never mentioned during the Pertwee era?
  • Did the first Dalek story contradict Genesis of the Daleks? And what of the Dalek comic strip origin story? That's another version again!
  • How could Atlantis be destroyed in three separate stories?
  • Was that really a 30 year old egg that the Troughton Doctor landed on in THE MOONBASE?
  • Why did the French Revolution book look different in REMEMBRANCE to the one in UNEARTHLY CHILD? (Petty, I know! :emoji_alien:)
  • Was that really the Doctor's mother on Gallifrey? Romana? Chancellor Flavia?
  • Was that old beekeeper guy in DELTA a Time Lord?
  • Were the War Chief, the Monk and the Master all the same guy?
  • Does the Robots of Death really take place in the Blake's 7 Universe? (Carnell is in the Kaldor City audios.) What other stories might have taken place in other tv universes?
  • Quatermass, REMEMBRANCE. Another shared universe.
  • Will we ever see the Merlin Doctor?
  • Is Big Finish Canon?
  • The Morbius Doctors: Is it just possible that they really were the Doctor?
  • Were the Virgin New Adventures/Missing Adventures Canon?
  • Were the BBC books canon?
  • Were the comics canon?
  • Why are there so many doubles/same faces in Doctor Who?

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Did Susan really make up the name TARDIS? That makes her pretty important, surely?
I think this was meant to be canon before later retconning, but in the context we now have, I take it as the statement of a precocious young girl. After all, they had no intention of going back to Gallifrey at that point, so Ian and Barbara would never find out the truth.
Was his name really Doctor Who?
No. It's Theta Sigma. Theet for short. Jeebus, do you even Who, mate?
UNIT dating.
I don't think it's that they're not allowed to date, they just can't date co-workers. Does that clear everything up? Good. Now go watch the sexual harassment video again.

Oh, you meant...never mind. :emoji_grin:
Why did the French Revolution book look different in REMEMBRANCE to the one in UNEARTHLY CHILD? (Petty, I know! :emoji_alien:)
Timey Wimey, mate.
Were the War Chief, the Monk and the Master all the same guy?
I think that's the going theory, but I would like to think that they were all different Time Lords. And I would love to see one of them come back.
Does the Robots of Death really take place in the Blake's 7 Universe? (Carnell is in the Kaldor City audios.) What other stories might have taken place in other tv universes?
I didn't know about this. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the DW stories took place in the Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures universes. I can't confirm this, but the truth is out there....
Will we ever see the Merlin Doctor?
If I could write the final series for DW, we would certainly see him. The Doctor finally grows weary of traveling, the TARDIS is getting too erratic, and he decides to semi-retire, knowing that there's a future there. He lives out the remainder of his last life in King Arthur's Court.
The Morbius Doctors: Is it just possible that they really were the Doctor?
Nope. Just some possible incarnations that never happened.
  • Were the Virgin New Adventures/Missing Adventures Canon?
  • Were the BBC books canon?
  • Were the comics canon?
If they don't contradict established onscreen canon, I don't see why they can't co-exist, even if you don't reference them. Obviously Human Nature wouldn't be, since it was redone as a brilliant two-part episode for Tennant.
Why are there so many doubles/same faces in Doctor Who?
There was some sort of explanation The Doctor had for why Gwen from Torchwood looked like Gwenyth from The Unquiet Dead. I'm buggered if I can remember what it was now.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I think he said Gwenyth was Gwen’s ancestor? And the woman from Torchwood played by Freema Agyeman who was the first to get her brain hacked out was Martha’s cousin. See, they have an explanation for every double role! I find that tedious, personally, but they do.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
  • Why was Torchwood never mentioned during the Pertwee era?
Oh yeah, it existed since the 1800s didn’t it. Boy RTD maybe isn’t as clever as he thinks he is?

• Did the first Dalek story contradict Genesis of the Daleks? And what of the Dalek comic strip origin story? That's another version again!
They never did care for consistency did they. I like the first Dalek story the most out of all the ones I saw, but I haven’t seen Genesis of the Daleks yet. Damn, I have my free Britbox account, I need to go look it up. And comic strips, no thank you, there’s enough “canon” to keep track of!