Controversial Fast Food Hygiene

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Yesterday, just before lunch time, I pulled into the drive thru at a local KFC restaurant and ordered two large burgers for lunch.

I paid for the order at the first window and then pulled up at the last window to pick up my order. I was just in time to see the paper bag intended to hold my lunch fall to the floor. For me, this wasn't the problem, because the burgers were going to be placed inside the bag. The person serving me picked it up, crushed it into a small ball and put it into a nearby rubbish bin. She did this by pushing down all the other crap in the bin and literally leaned into the bin up to somewhere between her elbow and armpit. She then turned around, immediately picked up my lunch order, put it into a new paper bag and served it up to me.

That was when I had a problem, but would you have had a problem under those circumstances?

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Yes, I defintely would. Having worked a bit serving food in various places, there are very strict hygiene practices you’re supposed to follow. This was clearly a no-no.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Yup. Like @The Seeker I, too, have worked in fast food, and she should have washed her hands before handling your food. That being said, I have Tales From Fast Food that you don't want to hear.

(You remember the urban legend about the pickle bucket? Not an urban legend.)

ant-mac

Yup. Like @The Seeker I, too, have worked in fast food, and she should have washed her hands before handling your food. That being said, I have Tales From Fast Food that you don't want to hear.

(You remember the urban legend about the pickle bucket? Not an urban legend.)
Never heard of it, mate.

I live down under, so we probably have different urban - and bush - legends.

However, if I eat out, I only buy food in places where I can see the food preparation take place.

ant-mac

Yes, I defintely would. Having worked a bit serving food in various places, there are very strict hygiene practices you’re supposed to follow. This was clearly a no-no.
That why I gave her a brief lecture and then requested my money back.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Never heard of it, mate.
At restaurants (at least fast food), pickle slices come in five gallon buckets, which sit in the walk-in cooler, where you go in and get the amount you need for the dressing station. There is an oft told urban legend of a disgruntled employee relieving themselves in the bucket. Welp, while it happened before my tenure at the burger place I worked at, it certainly happened. And instead of the incident going unreported for unsuspecting customers to get urine-flavored pickles on their burgers, this guy was turned in, fired, and the pickles were disposed of.

I also worked with a guy who spit in the dough at Pizza Hut. But the manager liked him, so he kept his job.

ant-mac

At restaurants (at least fast food), pickle slices come in five gallon buckets, which sit in the walk-in cooler, where you go in and get the amount you need for the dressing station. There is an oft told urban legend of a disgruntled employee relieving themselves in the bucket. Welp, while it happened before my tenure at the burger place I worked at, it certainly happened. And instead of the incident going unreported for unsuspecting customers to get urine-flavored pickles on their burgers, this guy was turned in, fired, and the pickles were disposed of.

I also worked with a guy who spit in the dough at Pizza Hut. But the manager liked him, so he kept his job.
In which case, I won't ask about the Cream of Some Young Guy soup that my local Chinese restaurant serves... :emoji_astonished:

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6

SHIIIIIIIIT :emoji_open_mouth: