Review Firefly (2002)

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
A great series, if rather short lived, only 14 episodes but a lot of potential. A beautiful mix of science fiction and wild west, and owing a bit to Blakes7 for some plotlines. How something this good can get axed after just 14 episodes is unbelievable.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Of course, old Joss Whedon insisted that he had never seen an episode of Blake's 7. Despite "Good shot!" "I was aiming for his head!" being recycled in the dialogue.

Not that the estate of Terry Nation would ever mutter about suing anyone of course! :emoji_grin:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I didn't get a chance to see this series for about ten years, when my wife found the DVD set on discount and bought it for me. I watched it in one day, and loved every second of it. If you took Star Wars, Blake's 7, a few Spaghetti Westerns, and a bit of Kurosawa, and you would get this. On one level, you get an action packed show that is just fun, but then there are characters with actual depth and are interesting to watch. And then you have a philosophical level that added to the rich tapestry of the show. One scene in particular is when River is "correcting' The Bible (rightly so), and Book is trying to explain the idea of faith to her, and that it's not about rationality or reason (I'm still on River's side, but it makes for brilliant television).

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
Im doing another rewatch of this show.
This show always makes me feel good. The cast chemistry is one of the best I have seen in a show.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I quite enjoyed the series when I saw it on Netflix a few years back. So much so that I went out and bought the series on DVD and the Serenity movie! Although I've not yet got around to a rewatch myself, I do hope you enjoy it one more time, Sowls!
JB

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I quite enjoyed the series when I saw it on Netflix a few years back. So much so that I went out and bought the series on DVD and the Serenity movie! Although I've not yet got around to a rewatch myself, I do hope you enjoy it one more time, Sowls!
JB
I had very little knowledge of the TV series or the film, until I saw an interview that featured Paul Darrow. In it, he commented that if BLAKE'S 7 were still being made, it would be just like FIREFLY. That was enough of a recommendation for me. I owned both the film and the TV series within 24 hours.

The word of Avon has always been good enough for me! :emoji_wink:

Gavin

VIP
I had very little knowledge of the TV series or the film, until I saw an interview that featured Paul Darrow. In it, he commented that if BLAKE'S 7 were still being made, it would be just like FIREFLY.
I hadn't seen that interview when I first started watching, but my first thought after seeing a couple of episodes was that it was a spiritual successor to Blake's 7. I still find it hard to believe that Joss Whedon had not seen Blake's 7 when he conceived the idea for Firefly.

Gavin

VIP
The movie Serenity changes the flow of the series forever so they wouldn't be able to bring back the same cast and story! Spoilers!
JB
Even if the movie hadn't made such significant changes, too much time has passed for the original cast anyway. 5 years after it finished it would have been ok. 15 years later they've aged too much to continue the story without a significant time jump, which I wouldn't want. Personally, I'd be happy if the stories continued in an expanded universe of novels, but I doubt there's a big enough audience for that.

ant-mac

I hadn't seen that interview when I first started watching, but my first thought after seeing a couple of episodes was that it was a spiritual successor to Blake's 7. I still find it hard to believe that Joss Whedon had not seen Blake's 7 when he conceived the idea for Firefly.
What he says and what the actual truth is may not be one and the same thing.

ant-mac

Even if the movie hadn't made such significant changes, too much time has passed for the original cast anyway. 5 years after it finished it would have been ok. 15 years later they've aged too much to continue the story without a significant time jump, which I wouldn't want. Personally, I'd be happy if the stories continued in an expanded universe of novels, but I doubt there's a big enough audience for that.
Provided they can give a reasonable explanation, I have no problem with a time jump.

A prison term perhaps?

I would welcome back any of the original cast members who wished to return - provided they didn't upset continuity by doing so. It would also be a chance to introduce some new cast members too, if the show-runners wished to do so.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
What he says and what the actual truth is may not be one and the same thing.

Yes. I think everyone is paranoid in Hollywood about getting (often rightly) sued. James Cameron made a huge mistake by blurting out that he had "ripped off a couple of old Outer Limits episodes" when discussing Terminator. Whedon would not want to give the Terry Nation Estate ammunition to follow Harlan Ellison's lead and take him to court.