Fun Foods You Won't Eat!

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I've always wanted to try eel, but, alas, being landlocked in the middle of 'Murica, there's no place I can find it. I do love me some salmon, though.

All of you living outside of the States don't know. We are bred to love pumpkin. Starting in late August, when Halloween and Christmas decorations are fighting for their displace space in department stores, pumpkin spice everything comes back. Cakes, cookies, lattes, ice cream, milkshakes, etc. I, too, have fallen victim to its charm, and can honestly say, I like me the occasional pumpkin beer. And what's the holiday season without a few slices of pumpkin pie?

Help me.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I've always wanted to try eel, but, alas, being landlocked in the middle of 'Murica, there's no place I can find it. I do love me some salmon, though.

All of you living outside of the States don't know. We are bred to love pumpkin. Starting in late August, when Halloween and Christmas decorations are fighting for their displace space in department stores, pumpkin spice everything comes back. Cakes, cookies, lattes, ice cream, milkshakes, etc. I, too, have fallen victim to its charm, and can honestly say, I like me the occasional pumpkin beer. And what's the holiday season without a few slices of pumpkin pie?

Help me.
So, do you think the fact that you are bred to love pumpkin has anything to do with the election of Mister Pumpkin-Head?

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
He has literally changed what it means to be the President.

For the first forty-four incumbents, the acronym of POTUS meant President Of The United States.

However, for incumbent forty-five, it means Pincher Of Twats Under Skirts.

duzit

Member: Rank 6

Help me.
My fav is Pumpkin pie!!! My BD is in Nov., I always asked for a Pumpkin pie instead of a BD cake.
Usually needed 2+ to have enough for everyone when celebrating. Love me some sweet potatoe
pie too. I'm salivating just thinking about them...

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
Speaking of traditional food. There is something we eat in the Netherlands on new years eve and day, oliebollen(I think you call them dutch doughnuts). Its a deep fried dough mix. I think they are disgusting, especially with currants in them, ugh.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
The oliebollen are too big to just pop them in your mouth. We use an ice scoop to put the dough in the oil.
I like doughnuts though. I assume the doughnut holes are not that expensive?

chainsaw_metal1

Fish issues though - tinned, smoked eel is a possibility - do you have a well trained local deli open to negotiation?
Not a deli, but there is a store about an hour away that specializes in British food. If ever I get down there, I'll have to look.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
An hour away - that's dedication!
I once went with a Californian friend to her fairly local "English" shop - its mainstays seemed to be an odd selection of Cadbury's chocolate bars, digestive biscuits, Marmite and HP sauce.
upload_2017-3-9_14-56-59.jpeg

Don't you just love Google image There is apparently nothing they don't have picture of!

chainsaw_metal1

Alas, I won't be getting any English chocolate. Last year, our government passed a bill - pushed forward by Hershey's - to ban the import of it. See, apparently, Hershey's was angry because the sale of the imported chocolate was causing them a loss in sales, so instead of, oh, I don't know, making a better product, they took legal action. So no more Aeros, Cadbury's (except for the American made stuff, by, you guessed it, Hershey's) and the like. I will, however, buy about a year's supply of Jelly Babies if I get to the shop. And several cans of Spotted Dick, just because my friends will get a kick out of it.

Don't you just love Google image There is apparently nothing they don't have picture of!
Indeed. And that's why I don't sleep at night. There are things that can't be unseen.

chainsaw_metal1

I like doughnuts though. I assume the doughnut holes are not that expensive?
I don't know about Dunkin Donuts, since I haven't been to one in years. But our local bakery sells doughnut holes that are amazing. You can get a dozen at a pretty reasonable price. All covered in cinnamon sugar. Delicious.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
a year's supply of Jelly Babies
:emoji_yum::emoji_yum::emoji_yum:

Good to know that all proper Americans drive huge pick-up trucks - that's sackloads of quality nibbles, my friend. Enjoy!
Yes, I'd heard that the new US owners of Cadbury's had replaced the original chocolate in creme eggs with their cheaper American recipe - so haven't bought one since.
Still, always really preferred Galaxy bars anyway

chainsaw_metal1

Good to know that all proper Americans drive huge pick-up truck
Nope. I drive a minivan. Because I'm so metal!

Actually, I had a co-worker who used to tease me about driving around the schoolyards with bowls full of candy. I told him I was just driving the van until I could afford an ice cream truck to snatch children. Suddenly, I feel the need to remind everyone that I joke about a lot of inappropriate things, and that I'm not really like that.