Review Fright Night Part 2 (1988)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
This film really doesn't know what it wants to be. At times it plays as a straight horror film, then runs right into comedy territory. But strangely, this movie works in spite of that. Only Charlie and Peter are back for this second outing, in which they are pitted against the sister of Jerry Dandridge, Regine. While Chris Sarandon plays Jerry with a mix of menacing and near camp, Julie Carmen plays Regine with a seductive quality. At some point, Charlie and Amy broke up (probably when Amy realized she was a lesbian [/in joke]), and he's now in college dating psych student Alex, who has been trying to convince Charlie that Jerry was nothing more than a serial killer. Instead of just a vampire and his handler, Regine runs around with a werewolf (played by Jon Gries, who played a werewolf in The Monster Club) and Brian Thompson as a servant with a slight Renfield complex (he actually names bugs by their Latin genus names before he eats them). Definitely worth a watch.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
It has been many years since I have seen this one.
I remembered it as a disappointing follow up to the first film, losing a lot of the atmosphere and being a bit too silly in places.
This time around it seemed a little better, although the ending happened far too quickly and easily.
Roddy McDowall is on top form, doing his best with a slightly less well written part this time around.

I can see why this never ended up as a trilogy - and I would still rather watch this than either of the recent remakes....