Review From Beyond the Grave (1974)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BZGRhOWUxNzItNzMxNS00MmI5LTg3Y2MtZDhlNTdiY2E4YWYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.jpg from-beyond-the-grave-cushing.jpg

From Beyond the Grave is a 1974 British anthology horror film from Amicus Productions, directed by horror director Kevin Connor, produced by Milton Subotsky and based on stories by R. Chetwynd-Hayes

It was the last in a series of anthology films from Amicus and was preceded by Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965), Torture Garden (1967), The House That Dripped Blood (1970), Asylum (1972), Tales from the Crypt (1972) and The Vault of Horror (1973).

Originally filmed as The Undead, it is also known as The Creatures, Tales from Beyond the Grave, and Tales from the Beyond.

Cast
Critical reception

Allmovie's review of the film was generally favourable, writing, "The last of the Amicus anthologies is a fun, old-fashioned example of the form.

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Can't believe you missed this one out Doc! Peter Cushing as the old man in the pawn shop and the people that 'buy' his collectibles! The ones that cheat him seem to die a horrible death while the one character that is honest survives his ordeal! Stories include the Blue Door, where a room appears behind a mysterious door that Ian Ogilvy acquires from Cushings shop,The Elemental with Ian Carmichael and Nyree Dawn Porter, Ian Bannen and Donald Pleasance in An Act of kindness and David Warner in the creepy Gatecrasher story about a haunted mirror that controls the owner of a flat by offering him immortality but first he must kill! From Beyond The Grave is still available as a DVD from Warner Brothers on Amazon for £12 I think but it's well worth being a part of your collection!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I was surprised to have seemingly missed this one too, JB, as it is one of my favourites, but then had a look around and found an old thread from last March buried in the wrong section, so have cheekily brushed that off and merged it with your timely reminder! :emoji_alien:

Yes, this is one of my favourites. I think every story in it is genuinely eerie.

I also think the old classic films work best as morality tales, with only the selfish and dishonest being punished in this one.