Review Galaxy Quest (1999)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Amazon’s “Galaxy Quest” TV Series Lives

amazons-galaxy-quest-tv-series-lives-696x464.jpg

Writer-actor-comedian Paul Scheer (“The League”) has been tapped to pen the script for “Galaxy Quest,” Amazon’s series reimagination of the 1999 sci-fi comedy feature which itself was a great big spoof of “Star Trek”.

Tim Allen, Alan Rickman, Sigourney Weaver, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, Daryl Mitchell and Enrico Colantoni starred in the film about the cast of a cancelled, beloved sci-fi show that was forced to reunite to save the planet after aliens believe their show was real.

Scheer takes over from the film’s original writer Robert Gordon on the Paramount Television-produced series which was put on hold after Rickman’s death.

At the time it was indicated by both Rockwell and Allen that the original cast was pretty much going to come back with Allen saying it was happening: “in a very creative way. It’s closer than I can tell you, but I can’t say more than that.”

Allen’s commitment to ABC’s “Last Man Standing” was also an issue, but with that show cancelled it’s not anymore. Mark Johnson will executive produce the series.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Galaxy Quest” Series Writer Explains Aim

galaxy-quest-series-writer-explains-aim-696x464.jpg

In August came word that Paul Scheer had been hired by Amazon to pen a TV adaptation of the 1999 sci-fi comedy “Galaxy Quest” in which a group of washed-up actors who used to star on a “Star Trek”-style sci-fi show become swept up into a real space adventure.

Slashfilm spoke with Scheer yesterday about his role in James Franco’s “The Disaster Artist” and he offered a brief update on the show. The most important is that he confirmed that the show will continue the story of the characters from the movie, and will include a whole new group of characters as well with two grouo’s separate adventures merging as the season progresses:

“Right now, I just handed in my first script to Amazon, so I’m in that zone. I’m excited about it. It’s a bigger idea that’s kind of morphed and changed a little bit. Not much.

The thing I keep on saying about it, without giving too much away – because it’s going to be so long before people get to see it, I don’t want people to get too burnt out on me telling you what it’s about before it gets to that point – but for me, it was really important to do service to a ‘Galaxy Quest’ story that gives you everything that you want and indoctrinates people who have never seen ‘Galaxy Quest’ into what the fun of that world is. That ‘Tropic Thunder,’ ‘Galaxy Quest’ world.

And also to continue the story of our original characters and have consequences from the first film. So it is mixing two casts. It’s separate kind of adventures that kind of merge, and I’m looking at this first season not as episodic, but as a serialized story.

So, the only way I’ve been looking at it is, using everything from the first movie and making the reasons for everything not just – I want to avoid anything that could be viewed as a reboot for reboot’s sake. There are real reasons behind these choices – maybe too much so.”

No word on how many of the original cast members like Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, and Daryl Mitchell will be back. The absence of the late Alan Rickman will sadly be felt deeply.

Doctor Omega

220px-DarylMitchellEmmysSept09.jpg

Daryl Mitchell (actor)

Personal life

Daryl "Chill" Mitchell (born 16 July 1965) is an American actor. He is known for such roles as Dexter Walker on The John Larroquette Show, Tommy Webber in Galaxy Quest, Leo Michaels on Veronica's Closet, Eli Goggins III on Ed, and Patton Plame on NCIS: New Orleans.

In November 2000, Mitchell was paralyzed from the waist down in a motorcycle accident in South Carolina. "It was dark and I didn't know the roads really well," said Mitchell, "I went around a bend and on the other side there was gravel and loose pavement and bam, the bike shot right underneath me. I woke up five days later in the hospital." "It was a blessing," explained Mitchell, to have his friend, who was once shot in a random act of violence, be "one of the first people to show up at the hospital." Spending much time with him previously, doing things and going places, had really helped Mitchell open his eyes with the circumstances.[3] Mitchell got full support from his family and friends, including Denzel Washington and Chris Tucker, to continue his career. Mitchell advises other wheelchair users to hold on to something they believe in. "You cannot do this by yourself. You need your family, your friends, faith, and love," he said.

After the accident, he appeared on the TV program Ed between 2002 and 2004 as a bowling alley manager who was paralyzed after an accident similar to Mitchell's own. He later started the Daryl Mitchell Foundation to raise awareness of spinal cord injuries and serves as the Minority Outreach spokesperson for the Christopher Reeve Foundation. He has also become a strong advocate for employing actors with disabilities.

Today, Mitchell resides in Sugar Hill, Georgia[3] with his wife and three children. His two sons play football for North Gwinnett High School, while his daughter also cheers for North Gwinnett High. Mitchell won an NAACP Image Award on February 26, 2010.

Doctor Omega

The “Galaxy Quest” TV Series Is On Hold

the-galaxy-quest-tv-series-is-on-hold-696x464.jpg

A few years ago came word that a TV series based on the beloved sci-fi comedy film “Galaxy Quest” was in the works at Amazon, with “Human Giant” co-creator Paul Scheer attached last year as the show’s writer.

This week, speaking on The Wrap‘s Shoot This Now podcast, Scheer says the project has stalled in the wake of the firing of Paramount TV president Amy Powell last month due to insensitive comments. Powell’s exit happened the same week as Disney firing James Gunn from the third “Guardians of the Galaxy” film.

Development may have slowed, but that doesn’t mean the series is dead. Scheer goes on to talk about how the series will approach the material twenty years later – the show serving as a sequel and minor reboot at the same time:

“We want to create this kind of thing that feels like this epic sequel, but a continuation. I compared it to what ‘The Force Awakens’ is to ‘Star Wars’. It is continuing a story but bringing in new characters. We need to kind of change it up. My pitch for [the new] ‘Galaxy Quest’ was, ‘How can we kind of blow this out and pay off things for the fans that love ‘Galaxy Quest’.

More importantly, and the thing that I really wanted to do is, appeal to the ‘me’ of now. Who’s the 18-year-old version of me that loved ‘Galaxy Quest’ now? What would they want to see? Because I think that that is a movie that we haven’t really made yet: the ‘Tropic Thunder’ in the world of modern-day science fiction.

When ‘Galaxy Quest’ came out, it was a niche thing, ‘Star Trek’ fandom is a niche thing. Now it is selling out Hall H in Comic-Con, so that’s kind of the impetus for the continuation.”

He goes on to confirm the new series is being approached with a serialized story in mind, one that will mix two casts. Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, and Daryl Mitchel all starred in the original.