Review Geeky Memories: CINEMA MOVIES

Discussion in 'Film: Reviews' started by Doctor Omega, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

ThinkstockPhotos-477455399.jpg

Just what it says....

Your memories of seeing films at the cinema over the years....

Funny, sad, happy, nostalgic - or crazily trivial!

Share your anecdotes here.....

#1 Doctor Omega, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Leaving the cinema in 1978 after seeing CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and hoping to see a multicoloured UFO gliding overhead - appearing above the cinema roof in the night time sky. Preferably the ice cream cone UFO.

It never did appear - and the cinema has long since been knocked down.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Seeing Alien 3 in a cinema, where the sound system was poor and hardly knowing what Charles Dance had said. And then the film broke down during the bait and chase scenes near the end. It resumed. but we had had time to share bemused opinions aobut the film in progress.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Going to see Star Trek V and the group of people in front of me muttering distractedly about this, that and the other, before one finally cracked with a loud comment: "OH, THIS IS BORING!" before they all got up and left en-mass to do something - anything more interesting.

As for me, I stayed in my seat and started falling in love with this crazy, daft, train wreck folly of a film.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Going to see HOWARD THE DUCK one afternoon in the 1980's.

Me and the projectionist.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Being taken to a saturday morning matinee of ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES (1971) and PLANET OF THE APES (1968). In that order!

And, despite it being my first exposure to the APES saga and timeline, it still made sense, thanks to that crazy, circular story arc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 8

I remember going to a double bill of Star Trek V and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Our local theatre at the time would get movies a month or two after release, sometimes longer, and at the time had a video rental in the lobby. Indy 3 had already come out on video, so they took it off of the shelves so that people would see it in the theatre. I remember liking parts of STV, but overall, not caring much for it. I thought much higher of Indy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 8

One summer, my buddies and I went over to Cedar Falls where there was one of the last drive-ins left (now sadly closed). One time, we took my friend's parents van, and hid him in the very back, covered with blankets to get him in for free. We had stopped by Walmart on the way there and stocked up on soda and Little Debbie cakes. Plus, the theatre would give you a sheet you could fill out and take to the snack shack, where they would cook you up a Tombstone pizza and bring it to your vehicle. Ah, good times. Now if I could take back having seen the double bill of Under Siege 2 and Batman Forever.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Going to see SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER in 1977, in a cinema that was not heated.

At all.

And it was very cold weather.

And there was an extended sequence set in an arctic wilderness with a giant tusked walrus, which didn't help.

I remember wearing my coat like a blanket and huddling under it.

I heard later that the manager of the cinema got in trouble for not heating the place.

At all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Hearing from my older sister, when she returned from a date, that she had been to see films with provocative titlles like SQUIRM, GRIZZLY, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 and FOOD OF THE GODS.

And then realising years later that the films I had invented in my head and stuck to these titles were very far of the mark.

Something called ALIEN lived up to her report when I finally saw it though!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Being taken by the same sister to see my first theatrical horror movie, THE FOG, and never liking thudding door knocks since. :emoji_scream:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Being taken to see the original KING KONG on a saturday morning matinee in the 1970's and leaving the cinema in floods of tears at the fate of that poor ape, which never asked to be taken to New York in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Being taken to see THE GIANT SPIDER INVASION and - as a kid - thinking it was weirdly, wonderfully awesome, instead of the cheap pile of shlock that it actually turned out to be years later.....

14. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator