Information George Romero's Road of the Dead: ANNOUNCED

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Romero Plans NASCAR Zombie Movie

romero-plans-nascar-zombie-movie-696x464.jpg

Horror legend George A. Romero has announced plans for “Road of the Dead,” a new NASCAR-esque zombie movie in the works that will be shopped at the Fantasia International Film Festival market this July.

Romero co-wrote the script with Matt Birman, who is slated to direct this project set on a remote island where zombie prisoners race cars in a modern-day Coliseum, all for the entertainment of affluent humans.

Said to draw major inspiration from 1959’s “Ben-Hur,” no further details are available at this time. Romero, Birman, Matt Manjourides and Justin Martell will produce.

Birman has over 250 credits as a stunt performer going back to 1979, as well as serving as second unit director on “Land of the Dead,” “A Perfect Getaway,” “Traitor,” and served in stunt co-ordination and/or second unit directing capacities on TV series like “The Expanse,” “Hemlock Grove,” “Warehouse 13,” “Nikita,” “Taken” and the upcoming Amazon Jack Ryan series

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
George Romero's collaborator still working on Road Of The Dead

Filmmaker and collaborator Mark Birman has vowed to bring the late George Romero's unfilmed screenplays to the screen...

george_romero_road_of_the_dead_zombies.jpg

On the 16th July, genre cinema lost one of its great pioneers: writer-director George Romero, who brought us such classics as Night Of The Living Dead, Martin and Dawn Of The Dead. Well into his 70s, the filmmaker was still working at a prolific rate; he was reportedly gearing up to find the financing for another horror satire project, Road Of The Dead, about zombies forced to drive cars for the entertainment of the wealthy.

Romero may be gone, but Matt Birman, a filmmaker and stunt coordinator who worked on a number of the late auteur's movies, has vowed to get Road Of The Dead made - plus four other projects currently at the scripting stage. According to Indiewire, only one of these untitled screenplays is a zombie movie; two are adapted from novels, and the other is an original piece.

When he died, Romero was about to head to the Fantasia Film Festival to pitch Road Of The Dead to financial backers - Birman describes the film as a mix of Mad Max 2, Rollerball and Ben-Hur - and planned to start work on those other projects afterwards.

“I will stop at nothing to get them made! For him and with him,” Birman told Indiewire. "Road Of The Dead now becomes a legacy film. We won’t only be making the film for him, it will also be with him. He will be by my side and in my ear for the rest of my career, I have no doubt."