Review Ghost Stories (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BMTU4MzQyNTg5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTEwOTYwNDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,663,1000_AL_.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

Skeptical professor Phillip Goodman embarks on a trip to the terrifying after finding a file with details of three unexplained cases of apparitions.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
A group of us went to see this a couple of nights ago. The cinema was empty - or at least it seemed so to me - although I was assured by the others that there were a few other people sat here and there at the edges, in the shadows, but I have no memory of seeing them.

My expectations were low for this film, but - as it unfolded - I found myself enjoying it enormously. The storyline was engaging, and - more importantly - the acting performances were very good indeed. I am thinking of Paul Whitehouse and Alex Lawther (who has the potential to be a twitchy, nervous Matt Smithy type Doctor Who in years to come, I think, based on this film.)

It became clear to me, as each of the three tales unfolded, that whoever had made this was a fan of the old Amicus horrors and that they had made a fairly determined stab at doing their own Amicus film.

They didn't quite get there, but only because it is impossible, it seems, to recapture the magic of the past, but they got closer than any other film I have ever seen.

The wraparound story is a clever one and I can only recommend this to anyone who wants at least a flavour of those old portmanteau films.

This is, I feel, the way British cinema needs to go if it hopes to be successful.

One of our party was a lady who loved the stage play version and said that, apart from the film adding a few bits and tweaking the play here and there, this was a faithful and good adaption.

The film contains a genuine eeriness at times and I certainly recommend it as a film that took me off guard with it's above average quality.

As the lights went up I saw no one else but ourselves leave the cinema. but others assured me that they had been there.

Somewhere at the edges.....