Review Halloween (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
7e7ef3c312598a57f44646a77d4807be.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie......

Laurie Strode comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.

On to the next movie......

HALLOWEEN 2 (In Development).........

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/halloween-ii-mutterings.5362/

Back to the previous movie.....

HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/halloween-resurrection-2002.5632/

Or detour back through the Rob Zombie HALLOWEEN's.......

HALLOWEEN II (2009).......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/halloween-ii-2009.5636/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

David Gordon Green & Danny McBride’s ‘Halloween’ Will Ignore Almost All the Sequels

A resurgence of the Halloween franchise has been expected for years now. The reboot franchise from Rob Zombie died off, but recently there was talk of the horror series coming back at Blumhouse Productions with the original film’s director John Carpenter executive producing. Oculus director Mike Flanagan was rumored to be at the helm, but that changed this past week.

Surprising news surfaced just a few days ago that Eastbound & Down collaborators David Gordon Green and Danny McBride were teaming up to write a new Halloween sequel with the former handling directing duties. Some fans were exciting about this prospect while others were perplexed, but all of them seem to at least be interested in how this new Halloween installment will pan out. Thankfully, Danny McBride just gave us some idea of how they’re approaching the movie, and that includes ignoring all all of the franchise’s sequels.

Danny McBride recently had interview with CinemaBlend where he was asked about what some thought would be a Halloween remake. But he confirmed, just as John Carpenter did when the project was announced last spring, that this isn’t a remake:

“You know, it’s not a remake. It’s actually, it’s gonna continue the story of Michael Myers in a really grounded way. And for our mythology, we’re focusing mainly in the first two movies and what that sets up and then where the story can go from there.”

As you read, in the same breath, McBride confirms that this is a sequel while also explaining how they’re approaching the franchise as a whole. It sounds like the only two movies they’ll be accepting as canon are Halloween from 1978 and Halloween II in 1981. The sequel took place just moments after the first movie ended, unfolding in the hours after Michael Myers started killing people around Haddonfield, Illinois as Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) was being cared for in a local hospital.

What is unclear is if this Halloween sequel will pick up where Halloween II left off with a story set in the 1970s or 1980s or if a lot of time will have passed since those events took place and it will take place in modern times. Personally, I want to see the 2018 Halloween sequel set in the past, if only for the visual style and production design to carry over from the first two movies. McBride wasn’t forthcoming with any more details, but he did add this:

“Green and I are definitely going to [do] a straight-up horror. Halloween has always been one of my favorite movies of all time. There’s a simplicity and an efficiency to that first one that I think allows the movies just to be scary as hell. And so Green and I, our approach is to get back to that.”

That sounds like exactly what the Halloween franchise needs at this point. Here’s hoping they can get this slasher series back on track when Michael Myers returns on October 18, 2018.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
Well, they can't have a 61/63 year old Michael Myers, so they have to let it take place in the past.
If only the original Halloween plan worked, a different story with each film. It could have been an awesome series of horror movies.

Doctor Omega

Michael Myers Is Mortal In Next “Halloween”

Michael-Myers-Halloween-630x343.jpg

Danny McBride and filmmaker David Gordon Green are mostly known for straight up comedy, so their hiring to pen another entry “Halloween” franchise seemed an odd one. Then again, as “Get Out” proved, comedians often really know their stuff when it comes to genre fare and not afraid to innovate.

Forgetting both the Rob Zombie reboot and most of the sequels, it has previously been confirmed that the movie will essentially be a direct sequel to the first two films which were set across one night.

In a new interview for Empire, McBride says they also plan to return to the original’s stripped-down approach of a merciless killer without otherworldly abilities and a certain invincibility which he seemed to gain in the sequels:

“Look at where the Halloween franchise has gone. There’s a lot of room for improvement. David and I are coming from it as, we are horror fans, and we are humongous fans of John Carpenter and of what he did with the original Halloween, so I think from watching this and being disappointed by other versions of this series, I think we’re just trying to strip it down and just take it back to what was so good about the original.

It was just very simple and just achieved that level of horror that wasn’t corny and it wasn’t turning Michael Myers into some supernatural being that couldn’t be killed. That stuff to me isn’t scary. I want to be scared by something that I really think could happen.”

Blumhouse, Miramax and Trancas are behind the new take which original film director John Carpenter as executive producer and consultant, and previously teased he may do some score work for the film.

The new “Halloween” is targeting an October 19th 2018 release.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
He was already pretty invincible in the original. He survived being stabbed multiple times, eyes pierced, shot multiple times and then in part 2 he practically blew up.
I like that in Rob Zombies original cut he got shot by the police and died, no jump scares either.

Doctor Omega

John Carpenter: Rob Zombie 'lied' over Halloween remake
Veteran horror director Carpenter has denied being ‘very cold’ towards Rob Zombie over his Halloween, claiming instead that he was ‘incredibly supportive’

johncarpenterrobzombie.jpg

Veteran film-maker John Carpenter has, during an interview with film students, described Rob Zombie – who directed the 2007 remake of Carpenter’s cult horror film Halloween – as a “piece of shit” who “lied” about him.

The remarks, which were made in April 2016, but have only recently emerged as Zombie’s new film 31 hits cinemas, were in response to a question from the floor concerning Carpenter’s thoughts on Zombie’s version of Halloween.

Carpenter referred to Zombie’s appearance in Halloween: The Inside Story, a documentary about the film that aired on the Biography Channel in October 2010, and said: “He lied about me. He said that I was very cold to him when he told me that he was going to make [Halloween]. Nothing could be further from the truth. I said, ‘Make it your own movie, man. This is yours now. Don’t worry about me.’ I was incredibly supportive.

“Why that piece of shit lied, I don’t know. He had no reason to. Why did he do it?”

Carpenter then went on to express mildly dismissive views on Zombie’s efforts. “I thought that he took away the mystique of the story by explaining too much about [Michael Myers]. I don’t care about that. He’s supposed to be a force of nature. He’s supposed to be almost supernatural. And he was too big. It wasn’t normal.”

Zombie (real name Robert Bartleh Cummings) has directed seven feature films in addition to his career as a musician, which began in 1985 when he co-founded heavy metal band White Zombie.

Doctor Omega

Jamie Lee Curtis Returns For New “Halloween”

jamie-lee-curtis-returns-for-new-halloween-696x464.jpg

Jamie Lee Curtis will reprise her iconic role as Laurie Strode in “Halloween,” the upcoming continuation of the famed horror franchise.

David Gordon Green and Danny McBride are penning the screenplay for the new entry which has original director John Carpenter involved as producer, consulting with Green who will direct, and potentially working on the score.

Curtis played the role in the original 1978 film and reprised it in the 1981 sequel. She the returned twenty years after the original for 1998’s “Halloween: H20,” before making a brief cameo in 2002’s “Halloween Resurrection” in which she seemingly died in the opening minutes.

Now, coming twenty years after H20 and forty after the original, she’s back again as Universal Pictures has set an October 19th 2018 release.

PF4Eva

Member: Rank 3
"Well, kiddo, I thought you outgrew superstition?"

Exciting news. :) I wonder if she'll take on a Loomis-type role? Pass the torch?

You think Dean Cundey might come back as DP? I hope Blumhouse is wise and lets them shoot it on film. 100% consistent with the first two Halloweens.

Welcome back, Jamie Lee.

Doctor Omega

Blum On “Halloween,” “Spawn” Creator Involvement

blum-on-halloween-spawn-creator-involvement-696x464.jpg

A producing industry in his own right, Jason Blum is currently out doing press for Blumhouse’s new horror project “Happy Death Day” and discussed two of the company’s most high profile upcoming projects with Coming Soon.

The first is the “Halloween” reboot which sees David Gordon Green helming from a script by himself and Danny McBride. Most importantly though it brings back Jamie Lee Curtis to the franchise, and has the involvement of original film director John Carpenter.

In recent years Carpenter’s name has been on remakes of several of his most famous works as an executive producer, but in those cases he’s had no real involvement. That’s not the case here insists Blum:

“We don’t take any big steps without his approval, so for instance hiring David and Danny he approved. He approved their pitch, he approved their first script. He approved bringing back Jamie Lee Curtis.

So anytime we make a big creative turn he’s involved with that and we don’t do it without his blessing. We went to him and asked him to be involved. There was no contractual, financial or any other obligation to have him on this movie. We went back and asked him to join us again.”

Blum also discussed the “Spawn” reboot which creator Todd McFarlane is directing. Labelled a ‘down and dirty horror film’ as opposed to a big-budget fantasy film, Blum spoke about the challenge of telling the story on a contained budget:

“One of the things is we’re keeping the scope of the script relatively contained, so that’s the biggest way. I think the other way is he and I aren’t paying ourselves any money out of the budget nor will any of the actors, so that’s another way. We’re using our usual tricks!”

McFarlane has written the first draft of the screenplay and is set to make his directorial debut on the project.

Doctor Omega

Judy Greer In Talks For New “Halloween”

judy-greer-in-talks-for-new-halloween-696x464.jpg

Judy Greer (“Archer,” “Ant-Man,” “War for the Planet of the Apes”) is in talks to play Karen Strode, the daughter of Jamie Lee Curtis’ Laurie Strode, in the upcoming new entry in the “Halloween” franchise.

Curtis will return to arguably her most iconic role which kicked off her career, with the character coming to a final confrontation with the pale masked Michael Myers.

Though Curtis’ character was unceremoniously killed off in “Halloween: Resurrection” in 2002, the new film will ignore the continuity post-“Halloween 2” in favor of telling its own story.

Original director John Carpenter is said to be heavily involved in the new entry and will executive produce alongside Malek Akkad and Jason Blum. David Gordon Green will direct from a script he co-wrote with Danny McBride. The film opens on October 19th 2018.

Doctor Omega

“Halloween” Reboot To Ignore The Second Film

halloween-reboot-to-ignore-the-second-film-696x464.jpg

Those in charge of the upcoming new “Halloween” film, namely director/co-writer David Gordon Green and co-writer/producer Danny McBride, have previously indicated that the new entry is ignoring most of the sequels in the series in favour of a follow-up to the John Carpenter-directed original.

Carpenter is famously getting involved again in the franchise, having sat out the series in any capacity since the third film. In a recent Q&A via Stereogum, he opened up and addressed Jamie Lee Curtis’ involvement and surprisingly revealed the film will only acknowledging the first movie in the series:

“[Jamie Lee Curtis] talked to the director. Her part was written into the script and they had this idea — it’s kind of a… I don’t know how to describe it. It’s almost an alternative reality. It picks up after the first one, and it pretends that none of the other [sequels] were made. It’s gonna be fun. There’s a really talented director and it was well-written. I’m impressed.”

The news is a surprise. The third film is a standalone feature not tied to the series, and the fourth onwards are set years later, so both can effectively be ignored without issue.

The second on the other hand is inexorably tied to the first film and showcases the second half of the same night, picking up on the first film’s cliffhanger ending. It was also penned, produced and scored by Carpenter who also did some reshoots of director Rick Rosenthal’s work so it was hardly lacking his involvement.

If this is the case though, then Laurie last saw Michael fall from a second storey window after being shot by Dr. Loomisin 1978. It renders Michael more human, as the character didn’t become effectively immortal to injuries that would kill normal men until the second.

It also effectively renders his blood relationship to Laurie in the mythology void because that story element didn’t come into play until the sequel. The new “Halloween” returns to cinemas on October 19 next year.

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
The first and second films worked so well together that I was honestly surprised to learn that the second movie hadn't been planned in advance.

Doctor Omega

Carpenter Likely To Score The New “Halloween”

carpenter-likely-to-score-the-new-halloween-696x464.jpg

With his greater involvement in the new chapter of his iconic classic, it comes as little surprise that filmmaker John Carpenter has confirmed he will be providing the score for the upcoming new “Halloween” film.

As previously reported, the film will ignore the events of all the sequels, including potentially the second film, to serve as a direct follow-up to the first. Jamie Lee Curtis is returning as Laurie Strode in the new film set forty years after the events in Haddonfield in 1978.

Carpenter is serving as both an executive producer and advisor on the new film which David Gordon Green is directing and co-wrote with Danny McBride. Carpenter has indicated the pair have been keeping him very involved in the new film, and in a new interview with Billboard (via Syfy) this week he lets slip he’s likely returning to score:

“I am an executive producer and it looks clear to me that I’ve made a deal to do the music…There are many options. I’ll be consulting with the director to see what he feels. I could create a new score, we could update the old score and amplify it, or we could combine those two things. I’ll have to see the movie to see what it requires.”

Carpenter was one of the pioneers of synth-based music scores which have had a bit of a resurgence of late. In related news, Oscar winning composing duo Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have unveiled their cover of Carpenter’s iconic theme. Running nearly eight minutes long, it blends elements of Carpenter’s original theme with an atmospheric backing track before segueing into a more heavy rock take. Check it out below:

Doctor Omega

“Halloween” Reboot Changing Original’s Ending?

halloween-reboot-changing-originals-ending-696x464.jpg

Nearly a decade on since the last film, the “Halloween” franchise is returning with the upcoming sequel/minor reboot from Blumhouse Pictures that has already been confirmed to serve as a direct sequel to the first film – effectively ignoring everything else after it including “Halloween II”.

David Gordon Green and Danny McBride penned the script with Green to direct, and now McBride has revealed to Yahoo that the new film is going even further and will retcon the ending of John Carpenter’s original:

“We’re kind of ignoring all the films past the first one. It picks up after the first one, but it’s sort of an alternate reality. It’s as if the first Halloween ended in a slightly different way… I think you should be very scared. I mean, this isn’t a comedy at all. I think there was, like, maybe one joke on the page, but the rest is straight horror. So hopefully it gets in people’s heads and keeps them up late at night.”

Specifics about the plot remain under wraps, but McBride says he’s well aware of the pressure on them:

“I just hope that we don’t f–k it up and piss people off. This is such a diehard fan base. You don’t want horror fans being your enemies because they show up at your house with masks on. We are diehard fans of Halloween. We’re watching all the sequels and where things have taken left turns here and there that maybe bites for fans, and at least trying to deliver what we would have wanted to see. Hopefully that will line up with most fans.”

To that end they “busted our ass on this script” to make the return of Jamie Lee Curtis’ character Laurie Strode something the actress wouldn’t be able to say no to: “When we finished the script, we sent it to her, and she said she was in. So we just flipped out. We were over the moon about her involvement.”

The “Halloween” reboot is set to arrive on October 19th 2018.