News Halloween (2018) October 19th, 2018

Discussion in 'Cinema: In Production' started by Doctor Omega, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

[​IMG]

New movie announced...

#1 Doctor Omega, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

David Gordon Green & Danny McBride’s ‘Halloween’ Will Ignore Almost All the Sequels

3. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

Well, they can't have a 61/63 year old Michael Myers, so they have to let it take place in the past.
    If only the original Halloween plan worked, a different story with each film. It could have been an awesome series of horror movies.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Michael Myers Is Mortal In Next “Halloween”

Michael-Myers-Halloween-630x343.jpg

Danny McBride and filmmaker David Gordon Green are mostly known for straight up comedy, so their hiring to pen another entry “Halloween” franchise seemed an odd one. Then again, as “Get Out” proved, comedians often really know their stuff when it comes to genre fare and not afraid to innovate.

Forgetting both the Rob Zombie reboot and most of the sequels, it has previously been confirmed that the movie will essentially be a direct sequel to the first two films which were set across one night.

In a new interview for Empire, McBride says they also plan to return to the original’s stripped-down approach of a merciless killer without otherworldly abilities and a certain invincibility which he seemed to gain in the sequels:

“Look at where the Halloween franchise has gone. There’s a lot of room for improvement. David and I are coming from it as, we are horror fans, and we are humongous fans of John Carpenter and of what he did with the original Halloween, so I think from watching this and being disappointed by other versions of this series, I think we’re just trying to strip it down and just take it back to what was so good about the original.

It was just very simple and just achieved that level of horror that wasn’t corny and it wasn’t turning Michael Myers into some supernatural being that couldn’t be killed. That stuff to me isn’t scary. I want to be scared by something that I really think could happen.”

Blumhouse, Miramax and Trancas are behind the new take which original film director John Carpenter as executive producer and consultant, and previously teased he may do some score work for the film.

The new “Halloween” is targeting an October 19th 2018 release.

5. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

He was already pretty invincible in the original. He survived being stabbed multiple times, eyes pierced, shot multiple times and then in part 2 he practically blew up.
    I like that in Rob Zombies original cut he got shot by the police and died, no jump scares either.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

First promotional poster......

m3Bcudzl.jpg

7. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

John Carpenter: Rob Zombie 'lied' over Halloween remake
    Veteran horror director Carpenter has denied being ‘very cold’ towards Rob Zombie over his Halloween, claiming instead that he was ‘incredibly supportive’

johncarpenterrobzombie.jpg

Veteran film-maker John Carpenter has, during an interview with film students, described Rob Zombie – who directed the 2007 remake of Carpenter’s cult horror film Halloween – as a “piece of shit” who “lied” about him.

The remarks, which were made in April 2016, but have only recently emerged as Zombie’s new film 31 hits cinemas, were in response to a question from the floor concerning Carpenter’s thoughts on Zombie’s version of Halloween.

Carpenter referred to Zombie’s appearance in Halloween: The Inside Story, a documentary about the film that aired on the Biography Channel in October 2010, and said: “He lied about me. He said that I was very cold to him when he told me that he was going to make [Halloween]. Nothing could be further from the truth. I said, ‘Make it your own movie, man. This is yours now. Don’t worry about me.’ I was incredibly supportive.

“Why that piece of shit lied, I don’t know. He had no reason to. Why did he do it?”

Carpenter then went on to express mildly dismissive views on Zombie’s efforts. “I thought that he took away the mystique of the story by explaining too much about [Michael Myers]. I don’t care about that. He’s supposed to be a force of nature. He’s supposed to be almost supernatural. And he was too big. It wasn’t normal.”

Zombie (real name Robert Bartleh Cummings) has directed seven feature films in addition to his career as a musician, which began in 1985 when he co-founded heavy metal band White Zombie.

8. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

10. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Jamie Lee Curtis Returns For New “Halloween”

jamie-lee-curtis-returns-for-new-halloween-696x464.jpg

Jamie Lee Curtis will reprise her iconic role as Laurie Strode in “Halloween,” the upcoming continuation of the famed horror franchise.

David Gordon Green and Danny McBride are penning the screenplay for the new entry which has original director John Carpenter involved as producer, consulting with Green who will direct, and potentially working on the score.

Curtis played the role in the original 1978 film and reprised it in the 1981 sequel. She the returned twenty years after the original for 1998’s “Halloween: H20,” before making a brief cameo in 2002’s “Halloween Resurrection” in which she seemingly died in the opening minutes.

Now, coming twenty years after H20 and forty after the original, she’s back again as Universal Pictures has set an October 19th 2018 release.

11. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Am pleasantly surprised at this news actually. Halloween Resurrection was not a good epitaph - although H20 was, but they had to go and muck it up with H:R.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PF4Eva

PF4Eva Member: Rank 2

"Well, kiddo, I thought you outgrew superstition?"

Exciting news. :) I wonder if she'll take on a Loomis-type role? Pass the torch?

You think Dean Cundey might come back as DP? I hope Blumhouse is wise and lets them shoot it on film. 100% consistent with the first two Halloweens.

Welcome back, Jamie Lee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Blum On “Halloween,” “Spawn” Creator Involvement

blum-on-halloween-spawn-creator-involvement-696x464.jpg

A producing industry in his own right, Jason Blum is currently out doing press for Blumhouse’s new horror project “Happy Death Day” and discussed two of the company’s most high profile upcoming projects with Coming Soon.

The first is the “Halloween” reboot which sees David Gordon Green helming from a script by himself and Danny McBride. Most importantly though it brings back Jamie Lee Curtis to the franchise, and has the involvement of original film director John Carpenter.

In recent years Carpenter’s name has been on remakes of several of his most famous works as an executive producer, but in those cases he’s had no real involvement. That’s not the case here insists Blum:

“We don’t take any big steps without his approval, so for instance hiring David and Danny he approved. He approved their pitch, he approved their first script. He approved bringing back Jamie Lee Curtis.

So anytime we make a big creative turn he’s involved with that and we don’t do it without his blessing. We went to him and asked him to be involved. There was no contractual, financial or any other obligation to have him on this movie. We went back and asked him to join us again.”

Blum also discussed the “Spawn” reboot which creator Todd McFarlane is directing. Labelled a ‘down and dirty horror film’ as opposed to a big-budget fantasy film, Blum spoke about the challenge of telling the story on a contained budget:

“One of the things is we’re keeping the scope of the script relatively contained, so that’s the biggest way. I think the other way is he and I aren’t paying ourselves any money out of the budget nor will any of the actors, so that’s another way. We’re using our usual tricks!”

McFarlane has written the first draft of the screenplay and is set to make his directorial debut on the project.

14. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Judy Greer In Talks For New “Halloween”

judy-greer-in-talks-for-new-halloween-696x464.jpg

Judy Greer (“Archer,” “Ant-Man,” “War for the Planet of the Apes”) is in talks to play Karen Strode, the daughter of Jamie Lee Curtis’ Laurie Strode, in the upcoming new entry in the “Halloween” franchise.

Curtis will return to arguably her most iconic role which kicked off her career, with the character coming to a final confrontation with the pale masked Michael Myers.

Though Curtis’ character was unceremoniously killed off in “Halloween: Resurrection” in 2002, the new film will ignore the continuity post-“Halloween 2” in favor of telling its own story.

Original director John Carpenter is said to be heavily involved in the new entry and will executive produce alongside Malek Akkad and Jason Blum. David Gordon Green will direct from a script he co-wrote with Danny McBride. The film opens on October 19th 2018.

15. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Just found this.....

HALLOWEEN RESURGENCE

A fan-made film....

16. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

I think this should be on the telly in the background at some point....

Just as a little nod to Halloween III.....

17. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

“Halloween” Reboot To Ignore The Second Film

halloween-reboot-to-ignore-the-second-film-696x464.jpg

Those in charge of the upcoming new “Halloween” film, namely director/co-writer David Gordon Green and co-writer/producer Danny McBride, have previously indicated that the new entry is ignoring most of the sequels in the series in favour of a follow-up to the John Carpenter-directed original.

Carpenter is famously getting involved again in the franchise, having sat out the series in any capacity since the third film. In a recent Q&A via Stereogum, he opened up and addressed Jamie Lee Curtis’ involvement and surprisingly revealed the film will only acknowledging the first movie in the series:

“[Jamie Lee Curtis] talked to the director. Her part was written into the script and they had this idea — it’s kind of a… I don’t know how to describe it. It’s almost an alternative reality. It picks up after the first one, and it pretends that none of the other [sequels] were made. It’s gonna be fun. There’s a really talented director and it was well-written. I’m impressed.”

The news is a surprise. The third film is a standalone feature not tied to the series, and the fourth onwards are set years later, so both can effectively be ignored without issue.

The second on the other hand is inexorably tied to the first film and showcases the second half of the same night, picking up on the first film’s cliffhanger ending. It was also penned, produced and scored by Carpenter who also did some reshoots of director Rick Rosenthal’s work so it was hardly lacking his involvement.

If this is the case though, then Laurie last saw Michael fall from a second storey window after being shot by Dr. Loomisin 1978. It renders Michael more human, as the character didn’t become effectively immortal to injuries that would kill normal men until the second.

It also effectively renders his blood relationship to Laurie in the mythology void because that story element didn’t come into play until the sequel. The new “Halloween” returns to cinemas on October 19 next year.

#17 Doctor Omega, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:28 AM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 12:51 PM
  18. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Certainly a bold approach. Although I like the second film.

Let's hope that this one is good.

19. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 5
    VIP

The first and second films worked so well together that I was honestly surprised to learn that the second movie hadn't been planned in advance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Carpenter Likely To Score The New “Halloween”

carpenter-likely-to-score-the-new-halloween-696x464.jpg

With his greater involvement in the new chapter of his iconic classic, it comes as little surprise that filmmaker John Carpenter has confirmed he will be providing the score for the upcoming new “Halloween” film.

As previously reported, the film will ignore the events of all the sequels, including potentially the second film, to serve as a direct follow-up to the first. Jamie Lee Curtis is returning as Laurie Strode in the new film set forty years after the events in Haddonfield in 1978.

Carpenter is serving as both an executive producer and advisor on the new film which David Gordon Green is directing and co-wrote with Danny McBride. Carpenter has indicated the pair have been keeping him very involved in the new film, and in a new interview with Billboard (via Syfy) this week he lets slip he’s likely returning to score:

“I am an executive producer and it looks clear to me that I’ve made a deal to do the music…There are many options. I’ll be consulting with the director to see what he feels. I could create a new score, we could update the old score and amplify it, or we could combine those two things. I’ll have to see the movie to see what it requires.”

Carpenter was one of the pioneers of synth-based music scores which have had a bit of a resurgence of late. In related news, Oscar winning composing duo Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have unveiled their cover of Carpenter’s iconic theme. Running nearly eight minutes long, it blends elements of Carpenter’s original theme with an atmospheric backing track before segueing into a more heavy rock take. Check it out below: