Review Happy Death Day (2017)

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
Some friends of mine at college spent one weekend a month ago watching a bunch of movies, and this was one of the movies we watched. It was my first time seeing it, and I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it, because I'm not generally a fan of horror movies. I only watched it because the premise was interesting (I've always loved the Groundhog Day genre of movies). The ending had already been spoiled for me via Facebook around the time of the release, but I still decided to watch it anyway.

Much to my surprise, I actually ended up enjoying the movie. It turned out that the advertising had been misleading. While marketed as a horror movie, the film is very blatantly a black comedy, and I found myself laughing uncontrollably so many times that we had to rewind a few scenes just to figure out what we missed while laughing (and some scenes we rewatched deliberately just so that we could laugh again).

The best thing about the movie is that it doesn't claim to be an original idea at all, and does all but outright claim to be inspired by Groundhog Day (the film even gets title-dropped at one point). While not worthy of any Oscars or anything like that, I can see this becoming a cult film in the near future, and am glad to have seen it, and will probably do a review on my YouTube channel sometime.

Just one thing though... The alternate ending (which was the ending shown to test audiences, and thankfully cut and replaced with a better ending) sucks, and I can't believe that ending was even considered in the first place.

Last edited: