Has anyone seen The Battleship Island (Korea)?

JepGambardella

Member: Rank 1
It started showing here in Montreal today. This is a brief synopsis:

During the Japanese colonial era, roughly 400 Korean people, who were forced onto Battleship Island ("Hashima Island") to mine for coal, attempt to escape.

I always try to catch Korean movies on the rare occasions that they are shown in commercial theatres here, but I am a bit busy at the moment and might not have the time - unless you guys tell me that it is absolutely unmissable, in which case I will make the time.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
It's getting a theatrical run in Australia from next week - based on the reviews I've seen, I get the impression it's a Korean-style Hollywood-style Blockbuster ... something that might be well worth seeing on the big screen for the scope and spectacle, but nothing that you would be bothered to seek out a few years down the track if you miss it on its first release.

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
I heard this will get its theatrical release in the Philippines so I might check this out. Partly because it has Song Joong-Ki in it, hehe and partly because....I just feel I have to. Its very compelling to watch this.

JepGambardella

Member: Rank 1
I saw it over the weekend. There were other movies that I considered higher priority, but the start time of this one fitted perfectly well with the bit of free time that I had, so I went for it. I think it was well worth the time and money. "Korean-style Hollywood-style blockbuster" is a very apt description, but I don't see that necessarily as a bad thing. It is not the most pleasant of movies, considering the subject matter (forced labour, in broad terms) and I found it a bit confusing at first, but by the one-third mark I was engrossed, which is all that I can ask, really.