Review Hellboy (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I3smiKT.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

Based on the graphic novels by Mike Mignola, Hellboy, caught between the worlds of the supernatural and human, battles an ancient sorceress bent on revenge.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

HELLBOY REBOOT AIMING FOR A HORROR MOVIE STYLE

Co-writer Andrew Cosby has told how he and the others involved have settled on a tone for the project:

“I can’t really talk about specifics with regard to the story, which they’re keeping a pretty tight lid on at the moment," he explained, "but I can say that this is a darker, more gruesome version of Hellboy. Neil said from the very beginning that he wanted to walk a razor’s edge between horror and comic book movie, which was music to my ears, because that’s what I was shooting for in the script, and precisely what Mignola does so well with the comics.”

Cosby also revealed that the first version of the screenplay - co-written by himself, Christopher Golden, and comic book creator Mike Mignola - is complete:

“Honestly, everyone has just been working overtime to bring that Mignola magic to the big screen. The script is done, but work will continue as we move forward, always trying to make it the best it can be.”

So what can we infer from that title? Well, in the Hellboy comics, the "Queen of Blood" is a powerful British witch, also known as The Lady of the Lake from Arthurian legend. She's driven mad by her power, imprisoned by her fellow witches, but eventually re-emerges to clash with Hellboy. She's also fond of tearing out hearts, which would fit that "more gruesome" theme.

There's no word on a release date as yet.

Doctor Omega

Hellboy Aiming for September Shoot.

Two days ago it was announced with a director and star, and within hours it had producers in talks for it. A day ago its title and tone were revealed.

Now comes word from THR’s Borys Kit that the reboot of the “Hellboy” franchise could begin filming sooner than expected. He writes on Twitter:

“#HellboyReboot could come sooner than you think: producers would like to start shooting mid-September. (If they will is another matter.)”

“Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen” will star David Harbour (“Stranger Things”) as the occult detective, will be helmed by Neil Marshall, and is said to be targeting an R-rating.

Also today, Australian online graphic designer and artist BossLogic has come up with an artists impression of David Harbour in the role:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Hellboy” Reboot Is Hot At Cannes

hellboy-reboot-is-hot-at-cannes.jpg

A serious bidding battle is reportedly under way at the Cannes Film Market for Chinese rights to the reboot “Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen” from Millennium Films.

The film has become one of the hottest titles on the Croisette, with bids in the region of $13 million for mainland China alone. International buyers are reportedly being told that the picture will be guaranteed a 2,000-screen release in North America.

Word on the film emerged only a couple of weeks ago with the comic’s creator Mike Mignola breaking the news on social media. Neil Marshall (“The Descent”) is attached to helm the film with David Harbour (“Stranger Things”) in talks to star.

In the United States, Sony released the original 2004 “Hellboy” film adaptation, while Universal handled the sequel in 2008.

Doctor Omega

What the Canceled Hellboy 3 Would Have Been About

NENjC5dPGTtcRN_1_b.jpg

The Hellboy franchise is going to continue on the big screen, and that has led to a mixture of excitement and sadness among fans. The upcoming R-rated reboot will not be a continuation of the story that Guillermo Del Toro told over the course of two previous installments. Unfortunately, that Hellboy 3 will never see the light of day. But Ron Perlman, who played the character in Del Toro's movies, has finally shared some details, letting us know what Hellboy 3 would have been about.

The actor recently appeared at Motor City Comic Con and was asked about Hellboy 3 during a panel he was on. Via a report from Dread Central, it sounds like Guillermo Del Toro's third Hellboy movie would have given us some closure on his version of the character. Here's what Ron Perlman had to say about it.

"The third one was meant to be epic and conclusive and a resolve for all these, almost, Greek oracle promises of the destiny of Hellboy. It would've made for a really good movie, I think."

Guillermo Del Toro and Ron Perlman were trying very hard to get Hellboy 3 made for years with no success. Part of the problem probably had to do with the financials. As Perlman says, the movie would have been "epic," which in the case of comic book movies is often a synonym for expensive. Given that Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army, while beloved movies now, did not make bank at the box office, only pulling in a combined $260 million worldwide, it makes sense that an expensive third installment had a tough time getting the green light. Earlier this year, Del Toro made one last effort to get the movie going, but in February, the movie was officially declared dead.

It was recently announced that Millennium is producing an R-rated Hellboy reboot, which is already almost ready to begin filming. Creator Mike Mignola has been involved in the project, with Neil Marshall (The Descent) set to direct. Stranger Things star David Harbour has been tapped to replace Ron Perlman as the big red comic book character. During the panel, Perlman also had some nice things to say about the new Hellboy actor, wishing him and the new project nothing but the best.

"David Harbour is a good dude. I wish him nothing but the best when it comes to the retooling of Hellboy."

The studio has not yet locked down a specific release date for the Hellboy reboot, which is currently titled Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen, but the movie is expected to shoot later this year. Ideally, it has been reported that the producers want to be filming by September for a release sometime in 2018. So, even though it won't be Hellboy 3, we will be seeing a new Hellboy movie on the big screen in the relatively near future. Still, one can't help but wonder what this "epic" and "conclusive" third movie would have looked like.

Doctor Omega

Two Hellboys Meet As Reboot Is Gearing Up

two-hellboys-meet-as-reboot-is-gearing-up-696x464.jpg

Comedian Patton Oswalt recently orchestrated a dinner between previous film Hellboy Ron Perlman and the upcoming “Hellboy” reboot’s Hellboy David Harbour just as the film starring the latter heads into pre-production.

It was a success judging by the social media postings of all three as they discussed the character. Harbour has recently been posting updates on how the R-rated “Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen” is going. Harbour confirms he met with creator Mike Mignola and director Neill Marshall this week and has even had his right arm fitted for the character’s signature the Right Hand of Doom.

Speaking about what he plans to bring to the role, Harbour told Yahoo recentl7:

“[Hellboy] is very rich. I think the films did a certain thing, the comics do a certain thing. Hellboy is kind of a neurotic, messed-up individual who’s destined for a horrible fate. He’s destined to become the beast of the apocalypse. Whenever he shows up and does the right thing, people throw beers at him and show up with pitchforks and he still manages to do the right thing. I think it’s funny and it’s sweet and it’s weird, and hopefully I can bring that to it as well.”

At last report, the studio wants to begin filming this September and this would suggest things are headed that way. with Millennium Films then releasing the film in cinemas sometime in 2018.

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/st...om/two-hellboys-meet-as-reboot-is-gearing-up/

Doctor Omega

“Hellboy” Reboot Is Practical Where Possible

hellboy-reboot-is-practical-where-possible-696x464.jpg

In a new interview with Mick Garris for his Post Mortem podcast, filmmaker Neil Marshall has revealed that the upcoming reboot of the “Hellboy” franchise is aiming to avoid CG effects and use practical ones as much as possible:

“It’s definitely going to be as practical as we can possibly make it. I love to do stuff in camera whenever I possibly can, and use CG as the amazing tool that it is, to enhance or expand upon the world, but not to use it to replace reality, when you can do it [for] real.”

Marshall is taking over the franchise to deliver an R-rated feature in the wake of two PG-13 films by director Guillermo del Toro. David Harbour (“Stranger Things”) takes over the red-skinned title character in the new take which is expected to go back to the more Lovecraftian style of the original Mike Mignola comics and del Toro’s first film. The expected freedom the harder rating offers is something Marshall intends to embrace:

“We’ve been granted permission to do it R-rated, which for me is just like taking the cuffs off. It’s like, okay, so now we can just make the movie we want to make. It’s not like I’m going to force it to be R-rated, but if it happens to come out that way, just because of my own sensibilities, then fine. And nobody’s going to stop us. So, that’s the main [difference]. And I’m sure, obviously, the success of things like Deadpool and Logan have not hurt that cause. But, also, when you go back the original material, it is kind of bloody, so I’m going to embrace that.”

Shooting on the film is expected to begin in the fall.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
many people are not happy.
As well they shouldn't be happy! Without GDT and RP there is no Hellboy!!!!!

:emoji_kiss: :emoji_rage:
(no happy, dancin' Norwegian gal on this one!) But hey, take this :emoji_boot: for the idea and this :emoji_japanese_goblin: for what I think of it and this
:emoji_no_good: for all the things I could say and have learned not to! And this :emoji_money_mouth: for general Hollywhat madness! And finally, take this :emoji_unamused: for what I think of all of it as a whole!

But since I love you guys! :emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

Doctor Omega

“Hellboy” Creator Explains Decision To Reboot

hellboy-creator-explains-decision-to-reboot-696x464.jpg

Mike Mignola, the creator of “Hellboy” and co-writer of the upcoming reboot of the film franchise based on the Dark Horse comics title, has revealed that originally the plan was to complete a trilogy after all – even after previous director Guillermo del Toro exited.

Speaking with Nerdist, Mignola said the initial plan was to keep the continuity of the two previous films in “Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen,” but once director Neil Marshall came onboard they decided to start from scratch:

“We originally started trying to tie it to the del Toro universe and continue those movies. But once we had Neil Marshall, we thought, ‘Why are we going to try and continue that universe?’

Because a del Toro movie is a del Toro movie, and you don’t want to try and hand a del Toro movie to someone else. Especially someone as great as Neil Marshall. So that’s when it went from being this continuation to being a reboot. It’s exciting to have another director. It’s exciting to take another path, to take that material and give it another leaning.”

Mignola also discussed how actor David Harbour is already getting into the role pf Hellboy himself:

“[David] is super excited about being Hellboy and he wants to make sure he gets it right. He’s texting me Hellboy questions about his history, about what the character would think about this or about that. It’s really exciting to be back and see this thing come together.”

Lionsgate is in final talks to distribute the new film which Andrew Cosby and Christopher Golden co-wrote. Mike Richardson, Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin are producing.

Doctor Omega

Ian McShane Joins The “Hellboy” Reboot

ian-mcshane-joins-the-hellboy-reboot-696x464.jpg

Ian McShane (“Deadwood,” “American Gods”) has been cast as Hellboy’s adoptive father Professor Trevor Bruttenholm (aka. Professor Broom) in the upcoming “Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen” reboot at Lionsgate and Millennum.

David Harbour takes on the role of the demonic hero from the Mike Mignola comics in a film helmed by Neil Marshall (“The Descent,” “Game of Thrones”).

The story sees the hero squaring off against a medieval sorceress who seeks to destroy humankind. McShane will take on the role played by John Hurt in the previous incarnation of the franchise.

Filming aims to begin in September in the UK and Bulgaria. Mike Richardson, Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin are producing.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Well Hell and damnation Doc! I love I.M and still remain firmly in the "If it's not G.DT & R.P it's not Hellboy" club so once again I'm all sorts of conflicted!..... Big surprise right?

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: and you get DBs just for being you! :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

Doctor Omega

Milla Jovovich Joins The “Hellboy” Reboot

milla-jovovich-joins-the-hellboy-reboot-696x464.jpg

Milla Jovovich has been cast as the villainess The Blood Queen in the upcoming “Hellboy” reboot at Lionsgate.

Jovovich joins a cast that includes David Harbour as the titular occult detective and Ian McShane as Hellboy’s adoptive father Professor Trevor Bruttenholm.

Creator Mike Mignola recently sat down with The Verge to talk the reboots tone and discussed the idea behind making this one an R-rated feature:

“It’ll lean in the horror direction, more so than the fantasy direction del Toro was doing. When Neil came on, we decided to go for an R rating, so he doesn’t have his hands tied, and so he can go as dark and as tough as he wants to go.

I was a fan of his, and when he came onboard, I thought it was terrific: now it’s really going to be an action-horror film. It’s not that we want to wallow in blood, but when you do a PG-13 rating, you bang your head into rules about how intense certain things can be.

I think it helps that Deadpool and Logan were R-rated, and what I’ve been telling people is that the tone of it will be much more the Logan approach: lean, dark, tough, and not something that stops to show limbs flying through the air.”

Neil Marshall helms from a script by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Mignola while Mike Richardson, Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin will produce. Filming begins in September.

Doctor Omega

The B.P.R.D. Will Be In The “Hellboy” Reboot

the-b-p-r-d-will-be-in-the-hellboy-reboot-696x464.jpg

While there’s been talk of tone and casting of certain roles, one aspect of the upcoming “Hellboy” reboot that hasn’t yet been discussed is that of the B.P.R.D. (Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense).

The subject of its own and far more elaborate spin-off comic, the B.P.R.D. is the institute founded by Dr. Bruttenholm (Ian McShane) which Hellboy (David Harbour) works for. Creator Mike Mignola has confirmed to Newsarama it will play a part in the movie:

“The B.P.R.D. figures into the movie. I don’t want to say who is and who isn’t in the movie. I think it’s fair to say, however, that the primary focus is Hellboy and not a B.P.R.D. team movie.”

Notable characters from both the “Hellboy” and “B.P.R.D.” comics have appeared in the films before – namely the pyrokinetic Liz Sherman, the fishman Abraham Sapien, and the gaseous medium Johann Krauss.

Not appearing have been other key characters though such as Roger the Homunculus, were-jaguar Captain Daimio, the mummy Panya, and team leader Dr. Kate Corrigan along with bad guys such as the Black Flame.

Milla Jovovich stars as the villain of the piece, the Blood Queen, with filming to begin in September under the direction of Neil Marshall.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
No, no, no, no, no ,no, no! Forget loving IM and forget loving Mila (and I do so just get over it! :emoji_shrug: )
I cannot and will not support this travesty!

I have regained my senses and returned to my original (and "upright") position that if it's not GDT and it's not RP than it is not Hellboy!

Please for give my earlier slip and somewhat small loss of control over my own consciousness..... these things happen.

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And for regained senses and the real Hellboy :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

Doctor Omega

“Hellboy” Reboot Gets Daimio & Different Tone

hellboy-reboot-gets-daimio-different-tone-696x464.jpg

“Deadpool” villain and the most recent incarnation of “The Transporter,” actor Ed Skrein, has joined the cast of the “Hellboy” reboot of Lionsgate and Millennium.

David Harbour stars as the occult detective from the Mike Mignola comics along with Ian McShane as his adoptive father Professor Broom and Milla Jovovich as the Blood Queen, a medieval sorceress out to destroy humankind.

Skrein will play Major Ben Daimio, a rugged military man who works for the B.P.R.D. and who, due to a supernatural encounter, can turn into a were-jaguar when angered or in pain.

Harbour recently sat down with the Happy Sad Confused podcast to offer some new details about the reboot which will be partly inspired by “Raiders of the Lost Ark” in its approach in that it will not be an origin story as such, you start with a “running and gunning” scene before dialing it back a bit:

“You accept that there’s this half-demon guy running around the world and being a paranormal investigator and solving crimes and also dealing with his own issues at the same time.”

Harbour also spoke about following in the footsteps of Ron Perlman’s performance in the previous films and says he has some new ideas about where to take the character and how it will differ:

“There are things that I’m gonna do that are different. Hellboy is the same character from the comics and from what Ron did, there are certain things that are the same thing, but I do think that – I don’t know, there’s a different approach because I sort of highlight different things, I think, than Ron does.

Ron sort of embraces this machismo in himself and in Hellboy, and I really like it and it’s super fun and it’s a super fun performance, but I think Hellboy has a certain psycho-dynamic where occasionally he has to prove that he’s the lion, has to roar, and I think he struggles with his own masculinity.

But I don’t think he needs that as much as maybe those other movies. I have a bit of a different take on his capability or his slickness. I sort of think that for me he’s a little less skilled at constructing that persona.”

Neil Marshall helms the film which aims to begin shooting in September in the U.K. and Bulgaria. Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin are producing.

Doctor Omega

Ed Skrein Departs “Hellboy” Reboot

ed-skrein-departs-hellboy-reboot-696x464.jpg

British actor Ed Skrein has exited the “Hellboy” reboot following a public outcry over the whitewashing of his character.

In the “B.P.R.D.” graphic novels, Major Ben Daimio is an Asian character, Upon the announcement of the hiring of the very Caucasian Skrein for the role, a minor controversy erupted over the racial change.

Now, Skrein has posted a classy statement Monday on his social media accounts explaining why he dropped out of the project.

“It is clear that representing this character in a culturally accurate way holds significance for people, and that to neglect this responsibility would continue a worrying tendency to obscure ethnic minority stories and voice in the Arts.

I feel it is important to honour and respect that. There I have decided to step down so the role can be cast appropriately. Representation of ethnic diversity is important, especially to me as I have a mixed heritage family.

It is our responsibility to make more decisions in difficult times and to give voice to inclusivity. It is my hope that one day these discussions will become less necessary and that we can help make equal representation in the Arts a reality.”

The controversy follows in the wake of Scarlett Johansson and Tilda Swinton’s casting in “Ghost in the Shell” and “Doctor Strange” respectively with the talk taking over much of the conversation about the film.

Lionsgate has also released a statement in regards to Skrein’s exit:

“Ed came to us and felt very strongly about this. We fully support his unselfish decision. It was not our intent to be insensitive to issues of authenticity and ethnicity, and we will look to recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material.”

David Harbour, Ian McShane and Milla Jovovich co-star in the film which shoots later this Fall.

Doctor Omega

Hellboy: Rise Of The Blood Queen
Penelope Mitchell has joined the Neil Marshall-directed “Hellboy: Rise Of The Blood Queen” reboot at Lionsgate and Millennium Films. In the film Hellboy (Harbour) and his team of paranormal researchers, try to save the world from a medieval sorceress (Milla Jovovich) who wants to destroy humankind.

Mitchell will play the role of Ganeida, an elder witch who has decided that Nimue’s wrath has gone on for too long and must be stopped. Larry Gordon, Lloyd Levin and Mike Richardson are producing.

Doctor Omega

First Photo: David Harbour As Hellboy

first-photo-david-harbour-as-hellboy-696x464.jpg

Lionsgate has premiered the first image of “Stranger Things” actor David Harbour as the one and only Hellboy in the upcoming film reboot of the Mike Mignola comic.

Neill Marshall helms the new feature which also stars Mila Jovovich as the film’s villain, Ian McShane as Professor Broom, and Daniel Dae Kim and Major Ben Daimio.

Harbour’s look offers a slight variation on the design worn by Ron Perlman in the Guillermo del Toro film adaptations. “Hellboy” opens in cinemas January 11th 2019.

Doctor Omega

“Hellboy” Creator On Early Reboot Development

david-harbour-wraps-hellboy-filming-696x464.jpg

Last year came the surprise announcement that “Hellboy” was being rebooted for the big screen, with the film seemingly coming out of nowhere and was being pulled together incredibly fast.

“Hellboy” creator Mike Mignola, however, says work had been proceeding slowly for years until things suddenly jumped into gear. Speaking with Multiversity Comics, he revealed new details on how thing went down behind-the-scenes:

‘It’s been in the planning stages for more than three years. I have been involved in various stages along the way It’s a very bizarre one because at some point I brought Chris [Golden] in because our regular writer was kind of going in circles, so Chris and I took a stab at it. I don’t want to write this stuff, but Chris and I would work together and we’d talk about it on the phone and he would write it up, and we would bang specifics back and forth.

So Chris got involved for a little while, then he had other things he had to do, so it went back to the other writer, and then another writer came in eventually, and I assumed it was never gonna happen. It would get almost done – when Chris and I were working on it everyone was like, “Yes! Now! We’re really happy. It’s great. This is what we want to do,” and then suddenly, “Why don’t we make it a reboot?”

Once it became a reboot, at first we thought we’d just take out the little details that pertain to the del Toro stuff. But once you start doing that then the whole thing starts coming apart, and then you start putting it together differently, and I just thought it would never end.

Then when Millennium Films agreed to make the movie, suddenly it went from, “This is never going to happen” to “Oh, we’re making it tomorrow.” That’s been crazy. That’s a big thing for [2017]. It’s gone from this thing that you kind of don’t pay attention to to “Oh s–t, we suddenly gotta cast a movie because it’s starting to film in two months.”

Speaking about his involvement, he confirms he was actively involved in the project answering questions almost every day – especially during the early filming stages with shooting in the UK and Bulgaria.

The “Hellboy” film is currently slated for a January 2019 release.