Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
00.jpg

Twilight Zone: The Movie is a 1983 American anthology science-fiction fantasy horror film produced by Steven Spielberg and John Landis as a theatrical version of the 1959–64 TV series The Twilight Zone, created by Rod Serling. The film stars Vic Morrow, Scatman Crothers, Kathleen Quinlan and John Lithgow with Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks in the prologue segment. Burgess Meredith, who starred in four episodes of the original series, took on Serling's position as narrator. In addition to Meredith, six actors from the original series (William Schallert, Kevin McCarthy, Bill Mumy, Murray Matheson, Peter Brocco, and Patricia Barry) had roles in the film.

The film is a remake of three classic episodes of the original series and includes one original story. Landis directed the prologue and the first segment, Spielberg directed the second, Joe Dante the third, and George Miller directed the final segment. Dante recalled that in the film's original conception the four stories would be interwoven with characters from one segment appearing in another segment, but later problems with the film precluded this.

The film garnered notoriety before its release for the stunt helicopter crash which took the lives of Vic Morrow and two child actors, Myca Dinh Le and Renee Shin-Yi Chen, during the filming of the segment directed by Landis.

The two child actors were hired illegally.

Their deaths led to a high-profile legal case, although at the end of the trial no one was found to be criminally culpable for the accident.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
So many labour and safety laws were violated during the filming of that scene.

It's a shame bad things need to happen before they change things, look at what happened to Brandon Lee. After that, gun prop rules were tightened a lot more.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
On the other hand, how come Hollywood haven't scooped her sad story up for a film about her, I wonder? Consider Black Dahlia....
While I agree that she would certainly be deserving of a biopic, I think with the Dahlia case, it was a combination of the gruesome way she was murdered and the fact that it went unsolved. It's the stuff horror movies are made of.
It's a shame bad things need to happen before they change things, look at what happened to Brandon Lee. After that, gun prop rules were tightened a lot more.
Indeed. We like to point to old Hollywood and look at the horrors that befell actors, stunt workers and animals in those days, before unions and safety measures, but even today, corners get cut and people get hurt or killed. Not in the numbers that they used to, but as you say, until tragedy happens, directors and producers will negate common sense.

Doctor Omega

Harvey Weinstein Has Been Fired

harvey-weinstein-has-been-fired-696x464.jpg

Harvey Weinstein has been terminated as co-chairman of The Weinstein Company. The move comes in the wake of the New York Times report this past Thursday in which detailed sexual harassment claims spanning decades on the part of the mogul.

Subsequent and even more damning allegations occurred over the weekend, most notably a TV news reporter relaying her story about him cornering her in a hallway and masturbating and ejaculating into a potted plant in front of her at a New York restaurant.

The TWC board first held a meeting Thursday night, during which Weinstein pled his case. On Friday and then Sunday afternoon, the board reconvened with the latter meeting leading to the decision to remove him from his namesake company.

Since The Times report, three members of the all-male board of The Weinstein Company have now resigned. In an official statement by the four remaining members of the board, the company says:

“In light of new information about misconduct by Harvey Weinstein that has emerged in the past few days…the directors of The Weinstein Company – Robert Weinstein, Lance Maerov, Richard Koenigsberg and Tarak Ben Ammar – have determined, and have informed Harvey Weinstein, that his employment with The Weinstein Company is terminated, effective immediately.”

TWC is now being run by his brother and TWC co-chairman Bob Weinstein alongside president/COO David Glasser.

Doctor Omega

Kevin Spacey Hit By Sexual Misconduct Allegations

kevin-spacey-hit-by-sexual-misconduct-allegations-696x464.jpg

Oscar winner Kevin Spacey has been accused of making a sexual advance toward a fourteen-year-old male actor back in 1986. Anthony Rapp, currently receiving plaudits for his role on “Star Trek: Discovery” and with a career in stage and screen since he was nine, has come forward with the allegation and explained his story to Buzzfeed.

Rapp, now 46, is publicly alleging for the first time that in 1986 a then 26-year-old Spacey befriended a then 14-year-old Rapp while they both performed on Broadway shows. Rapp was invited over to Spacey’s apartment for a party, and, at the end of the night a drunk Spacey picked Rapp up, placed him on his bed, and climbed on top of him making a sexual advance.

Rapp got out from under him and went into the bathroom. He then walked back out and said he wanted to leave, Spacey asked if he was sure, Rapp said he was and he left. The two have not spoken since. Rapp told a far less detailed version for The Advocate back in 2001 but Spacey’s name was redacted at the time. In light of all the recent sexual assault and harassment allegations that have exploded around Hollywood, Rapp came forward and shared the alleged event.

Mere hours after the original story was published, Spacey has come forward on Twitter with an official statement:

“I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor. I’m beyond horrified to hear his story. I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.

This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life. I know that there are stories out there about me and that some have been fueled by the fact that I have been so protective of my privacy. As those closest to me know, in my life I have had relationships with both men and women. I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man. I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behavior.”

Spacey’s private life has long been a topic of discussion over the years and he has emphasized keeping his private life private. That said, the apology has come under heavy fire on social media in its use of one of the least surprising ‘coming out’ stories from Hollywood as a deflection of inappropriate behavior, and in doing so conflating sexual harassment allegations with his sexuality – throwing the gay community under the bus in the process. Numerous responses from celebs and media personalities can be found at ABC.

Last edited:

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
Who knows what happened. Might have happened, might not. Kids, people actually, are notoriously unreliable witnesses. I was talking to a girl I knew from high school who was absolutely certain she was my date to both junior and senior prom. She can tell you every detail of the night, the corsage, the first and last dance, what we did after ... except it never happened. I have pictures of my prom dates and she wasn't one of them. Matter of fact, I never even dated her, lol. She told me several other stories that I'm certain never happened. The mind is funny.

Doctor Omega

Spacey-Led “Money” Sticking With Release

spacey-led-money-sticking-with-release-696x464.jpg

Ridley Scott’s “All the Money in the World” will move forward with its December 22nd release despite this week’s sexual assault accusation involving one of its key stars Kevin Spacey. No decision has been reached about whether or not Spacey will do press for the film says a source for Variety.

At one point Spacey had been seen as a possible Oscar nominee for his work (he appears in trailers for the picture disguised under heavy makeup) but any awards attention could well be undercut by the scandal. Spacey plays oil tycoon J. Paul Getty in the Ridley Scott thriller which looks at the kidnapping of Getty’s grandson by an organized crime group in Italy.

On Sunday, the Oscar-winning actor was accused by actor Anthony Rapp of making a sexual advance in 1986 when Rapp was 14 years old and Spacey was 26. Spacey apologized to Rapp in a statement saying he did not remember the incident and used the opportunity to come out. His response drew a backlash from the gay community and has put his career in jeopardy.

The film, which also stars Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg, is still set to premiere at the AFI Fest on November 16th according to the festival.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Brett Ratner Accused Of Sexual Harassment

brett-ratner-accused-of-sexual-harassment.jpg

Six women have stepped forward and accused “Rush Hour” filmmaker Brett Ratner of sexual harassment and misconduct, the latest scandal following in the wake of Harvey Weinstein, James Toback, Kevin Spacey and others in Hollywood.

Speaking with The Los Angeles Times as part of a major feature, actresses Natasha Henstridge, Olivia Munn, Jaime Ray Newman, and Katharine Towne are among those who have gone on the record with the paper and shared their experiences of uncomfortable and inappropriate encounters with the director who reportedly persisted in his attentions to uncomfortable degrees – ultimately leaving some of his victims shaken for years.

“Species” star Henstridge, when she was a 19-year-old fashion model, says she fell asleep watching a film on Ratner’s couch when he was an up-and-coming music video director in his early 20s. When she woke up, she and him were alone and she got up to leave, but he blocked the doorway with his body and then forced her to perform oral sex on him: “He strong-armed me in a real way. He physically forced himself on me. At some point, I gave in and he did his thing.”

Munn was asked to drop off some food for Ratner in his trailer on the “After the Sunset” set and was told he wouldn’t be present. She arrived, only to find him there and he told her not to leave: “He walked out … with his belly sticking out, no pants on, shrimp cocktail in one hand and he was furiously masturbating in the other. And before I literally could even figure out where to escape or where to look, he ejaculated.” She consulted a lawyer but was advised that her career as fledgling actress might be in jeopardy if she went after a well know director.

Newman said she encountered Ratner in 2005 when they were both in first class on an Air Canada flight. The filmmaker swapped seats with his assistant before departure so he could be next to her. Within five minutes of the plane taking off, she said, Ratner began loudly describing sex acts he wanted to perform on her in explicit detail. He also showed her nude photos of his then-girlfriend. Newman said she was so shaken by the encounter that she immediately told a handful of people about it.

Ratner’s attorney Martin Singer has disputed their accounts saying in a statement: “I have represented Mr. Ratner for two decades, and no woman has ever made a claim against him for sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. Furthermore, no woman has ever requested or received any financial settlement from my client.”

48-year-old Ratner has long flaunted a palyboy style persona, bragging of success with women and sexual appetites. He was famously criticised in 2011 for saying “rehearsal is for fags” at a screening of his comedy “Tower Heist” in 2011 – a quip that cost him a shot at producing the Oscars.

Though critics have never been big fan of Ratner movies, he holds a lot of power due to being one of the co-founders of RatPac-Dune Entertainment which co-finances many of the big films at Warner Bros. Pictures including “Dunkirk,” “It” and “The LEGO Batman Movie” this year alone.

Over the years, Ratner has also received several honors for his philanthropic and humanitarian endeavors. On Sunday, the Jewish National Fund presented Ratner with its annual Tree of Life Award at a gala in Hollywood. “Wonder Woman” star Gal Gadot had been slated to give the award to Ratner but last week her publicist announced she would not appear at the event because of a scheduling conflict. “Wonder Woman” director Patty Jenkins ultimately presented him with the award.

The story arises in the wake of “Entourage” actor Jeremy Piven, who previously worked with Ratner on “Rush Hour 2,” being subject to allegations by actress and former reality star Ariane Bellamar who said “on two occasions, cornered me & forcefully fondled my breasts & bum. Once at the [Playboy] mansion & once on set.” Piven has since released a statement to EW flat out denying the claim: “I unequivocally deny the appalling allegations being peddled about me. It did not happen. It takes a great deal of courage for victims to come forward with their histories, and my hope is that the allegations about me that didn’t happen, do not detract from stories that should be heard.”

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Ratner’s Hugh Hefner Biopic On Indefinite Hold

ratners-hugh-hefner-biopic-on-indefinite-hold-696x464.jpg

Within hours of the Brett Ratner scandal breaking, it is now having an impact on projects with Playboy Enterprises putting their planned Ratner-directed biopic about Hugh Hefner on hold along with all other projects they have with Ratner’s RatPac Entertainment label.

Playboy Enterprises issued a statement telling Deadline: “We are deeply troubled to learn about the accusations against Brett Ratner. We find this kind of behavior completely unacceptable. We are putting all further development of our projects with RatPac Entertainment on hold until we are able to review the situation further.”

Earlier this month the trades reported that Jared Leto was set to play Hefner in the film, but calls to his reps today confirm the Oscar-winning actor never had any attention to play Hefner. They tell the outlet:

“Jared Leto is not and was not attached to a Brett Ratner directed Hugh Hefner film, nor will he be working with him in the future. Earlier reports were incorrect and not confirmed by his representatives.”

Ratner has been set on directing a Hefner movie since 2007. Six women, including actresses such as Natasha Henstridge and Olivia Munn came forward in the Los Angeles Times accusing Ratner of sexual assault or misconduct. Munn’s allegation involved Ratner surprise masturbating in front of her in his trailer whilst holding a shrimp cocktail.

Additionally Arthur Sarkissian, a producer of the “Rush Hour” franchise, tells the outlet:

“I’m in a state of shock. I’ve known Bret for 22 years, maybe even 23, and he was best man at my wedding. I’m so sad and so disturbed right now because I don’t want this to be true. He’s a very likable guy. He is very loyal and has a heart of gold. I have never ever seen him grope, grab or do anything of the sort. Has he been flirtatious? Yes. I’ve seen him flirt, but I cannot believe what I’m reading. I cannot believe that he would stand there with a shrimp in one hand and … I just can’t believe it. I’m really horrified… I just can’t comprehend this. I’m sitting here asking if this could be true from someone I known for so long.”

Ratner is a co-founder of RatPac-Dune Entertainment which funds a bunch of the film slate of Warner Bros. Pictures. Warners, which has first-look deal with Ratner, said in a statement: “We are aware of the allegations in the LA Times and are reviewing the situation.”

Doctor Omega

Dustin Hoffman
Dustin Hoffman has been accused of sexually harassing an intern on the set of one of his films in 1985.

Anna Graham Hunter, a writer, says that when she was 17, the Oscar-winning actor groped her and made inappropriate comments about sex to her.

She told The Hollywood Reporter: "He was openly flirtatious, he grabbed my ass, he talked about sex to me and in front of me."

Hoffman apologised, and said he was sorry if he "put her in an uncomfortable situation".

In a statement to the magazine, Hoffman said: "I have the utmost respect for women and feel terrible that anything I might have done could have put her in an uncomfortable situation. I am sorry. It is not reflective of who I am."

The BBC has contacted representatives of Dustin Hoffman for his response to these allegations.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Hollywood and this sort of thing have a long history, of course........

But this current string of accusations seems to be just the beginning of a huge oncoming storm......

Doctor Omega

Warners Severs Ties With Brett Ratner

warners-severs-ties-with-brett-ratner-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures has severed ties with Brett Ratner in the wake of damning sexual harassment allegations in the Los Angeles Times yesterday. Ratner has been accused of misconduct by six women, including actresses Olivia Munn and Natasha Henstridge.

In a statement issued yesterday, Ratner claims the choice to part ways with Warner Bros. Pictures was one of his choosing: “In light of the allegations being made, I am choosing to personally step away from all Warner Bros.-related activities. I don’t want to have any possible negative impact to the studio until these personal issues are resolved.”

Ratner is a co-founder of RatPac-Dune Entertainment which has been a major funding partner for Warners in recent years. Ratner’s first-look deal with the studio expires in March, and now will not be renewed. Ratner will also lose his office space on the Warners lot in Burbank, and will no longer be producing “The Goldfinch” based on the best-selling Donna Tartt novel.

Ratner has also filed a defamation suit in Hawaii federal court against Melanie Kohler on Wednesday, a woman who wrote a Facebook post referring to him as a ‘rapist’. The lawsuit alleges that the statements were published falsely and with the intent to damage Ratner’s reputation. Ratner is seeking general, special, and punitive damages.

Doctor Omega

Spacey Scandal Intensifies As More Step Forward

spacey-scandal-intensifies-as-more-step-forward-696x464.jpg

The Kevin Spacey scandal has now spread out beyond both the original allegation by actor Anthony Rapp and the halting of production on Netflix’s “House of Cards”.

On Tuesday Spacey’s brother, 62-year-old Randall Fowler who is a Rod Stewart impersonator and limo driver by trade, told The Sun that he found the allegations disturbing but was not surprised due to their father whom he dubs a ‘Nazi child rapist’ who ran a “house of horrors” home.

Fowler claims their father would regularly beat and rape Randall, while younger brother Kevin managed to avoid it by ‘minding his P’s & Q’s’ and Randall doing everything in his power to protect the younger sibling from the abuse.

A spokesman for Spacey back in 2004, when Fowler first publicly stated his claims, said: “Kevin has not experienced any of the distress that his brother describes as he has never been a victim of abuse and can only sympathise with him.”

Others came forward on Wednesday with filmmaker Tony Montana telling Radar Online that he was groped by Spacey in a Los Angeles bar in 2003 when Spacey reportedly walked up to him, forcefully grabbed his crotch and refused to let go saying: “this designates ownership.” Montana was able to pull Kevin Spacey’s hand away, but the actor then proceeded to follow Montana into the restroom.

On top of that actor Robert Cavazos, who performed at London’s historic Old Vic theater when Spacey served as its artistic director between 2004 and 2015, came forward with his own report. He described multiple instances of Spacey arranging ‘picnics’ at the theater with actors to discuss their careers where he would inappropriately touch them: “It seems the only requirement was to be a male under the age of 30 for Mr Spacey to feel free to touch us. It was so common that it even became a local joke (in very bad taste)” he wrote in a Facebook post.

Then came a report at Vulture in which a 48 year-old East Coast artist, currently with a long-term partner, came forward to speak about a sexual relationship he had with the actor when he was just 14 and Spacey was 24. He says the relationship ended with an attempted rape and he has come forward now because he was enraged at Spacey’s response to Rapp’s story and that he’s “worked really hard to have a nice life and feel safe, and I’m not giving that up for him.”

Earlier today, CNN posted a lengthy report in which eight people who work or have worked on “House of Cards” described Spacey’s behaviour as ‘predatory’ and included “nonconsensual touching and crude comments and targeted production staffers who were typically young and male”. All eight spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of professional repercussions for speaking out.

One former production assistant alleges to the outlet that Spacey sexually assaulted him during one of the show’s early seasons. The alleged sexual assault came months after the production assistant had complained to a supervisor that Spacey was sexually harassing him. The supervisor’s solution was to never let the production assistant be alone with Spacey while they were on set.

Another, a crew member who worked on the show for all six seasons, alleges that Spacey routinely harassed and touched him. A female former production assistant who worked on several seasons says she witnessed Spacey’s sexual misconduct with male crew members on set, instigating “play fights with them in order to touch them” and would pull people’s hand down to his crotch and touch their crotch, or reach up their shorts.”

Netflix says in a statement to CNN that: “Netflix was just made aware of one incident, five years ago, that we were informed was resolved swiftly. On Tuesday, in collaboration with MRC, we suspended production, knowing that Kevin Spacey wasn’t scheduled to work until Wednesday. Netflix is not aware of any other incidents involving Kevin Spacey on-set.”

MRC, the production company behind “House of Cards,” tells the news network in a separate statement on Thursday that they have implemented “an anonymous complaint hotline, crisis counselors, and sexual harassment legal advisors for the crew.”

Spacey’s publicist Staci Wolfe said in a statement on Wednesday that the actor is seeking unspecified treatment following Rapp’s allegations, and as of today she is no longer his publicist as his agency CAA has parted ways with the actor. Spacey did not respond to CNN’s request for comment about the new allegations today.

In light of all this, Variety reports that a planned supporting actor Oscar campaign for Spacey’s role in Ridley Scott’s “All the Money in the World” has been shelved. Sony and TriStar Pictures are looking to salvage the awards marketing strategy by focusing on co-stars Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg.

The same isn’t true of Dustin Hoffman who is up for possible supporting actor recognition in “The Meyerowitz Stories”. No plan has been made to change that film’s awards campaign despite two women having come forward alleging sexual harassment by the eighty-year-old screen legend.

Doctor Omega

Netflix Officially Severs Ties With Kevin Spacey

netflix-officially-severs-ties-with-kevin-spacey-696x464.jpg

Netflix has officially announced that they are parting ways with “House of Cards” star and executive producer Kevin Spacey.

A spokesman for the company has said in a statement that the streaming giant won’t continue the show if Spacey remains involved, and have scrapped plans to release the Gore Vidal biopic “Gore” which stars Spacey as the famed intellectual:

“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.”

Within half an hour, series producer MRC sent out its own statement which was notably less absolute in its statement saying:

“While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of ‘House of Cards’, he has been suspended, effective immediately. MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus.”

It remains unclear how the show will move forward now, and whether they will proceed with a Spacey-less version of the final season, or one of the three potential spin-offs on the drawing board.

Doctor Omega

Weinstein Hired Ex-Mossad To Stalk Accusers?

weinstein-lines-up-rival-edgardo-mortara-project-696x464.jpg

The Harvey Weinstein scandal took another strange turn today with the revelation in a new piece in the New Yorker that the disgraced studio mogul employed private investigators to spy on his accusers and keep tabs on reporters investigating his past.

Weinstein apparently hired Black Cube, a firm run by former Mossad agents, to collect information on Rose McGowan who has accused Weinstein of rape. Undercover agents, one of whom posed as a women’s rights activist, met with McGowan and obtained information on her forthcoming book.

Weinstein also hired corporate security firm Kroll in an effort to block stories in the New Yorker and the New York Times detailing decades of allegations of sexual misconduct.

The story highlights the role of David Boies who allegedly oversaw much of the spying effort and tells the outlet that the arrangement was a “mistake.” In response to the article, Weinstein spokeswoman Sallie Hofmeister slammed the publication saying it was “trafficking in inaccuracies and wild conspiracy theories”.

The piece was published yesterday, just as the Television Academy permanently banished Weinstein from their association following multiple allegations of sexual harassment, assault and rape against him.