Review HOUSE OF THE DISAPPEARED

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
Yes, it deserves an all caps title. I'll fill in @divemaster13 's weekly monday review to give you a gem on this thursday.

SPOILERS AHEAD.

I made that spoiler alert not because I will detail how everything unfold. Rather, I think that if I say it involves a time travel/worm hole kind of thing, I'll be giving away the ending of the film.

I initially filed this under "Standard Asian Thriller". The first 40 minutes were typical of Asian horror. However, the last 40 minutes sealed the deal. I guess a time travel concept will never get old to me.

Kim Yun-jin has always been our good óle loving Korean mother person. She still is, here. The start of the film might be a deal breaker for @sitenoise but I hope it doesn't stop you from going further. The start has all the elements of horror: a storm in the night, a loud bang, blood, dead. Blah. We are then introduced into an imperfect family comprising of mother, her two sons, and stepfather. An unfriendly stepdad-son story is loosely incorporated until the inevitable "noises" haunt the house. Flashbacks are simultaneously shown but all of these were cleanly made, not one prepared me for the ending. You thought its a haunted house story, it isn't. Its actually a story of pure and unconditional love.

And because its not a review of mine when there's no favorite scene narrative, I'll tell my favorite scene. lol. Actually, remarkable scene that just made me cry. The confrontational scene when Hyo Jae tells his mom to not save him so she can have her life back, and mom was thinking "No". cry.gif Its natural mother instinct, if I had 5 lives I'd give up all of them for my kids. cry.gif I'd bet my ass a lot of people who watched it shed tears.

Really, sorry if I was rambling garbage. The movie is a pure opposite of that. Just watch it and don't let my review discourage you.

sitenoise

I'd bet my ass
I caution against that. I did it once, and lost. Now I'm buttless. But seriously, this flick completely slipped under my radar. Sounds like one of those Korean films that might seem like it's playing the wrong genre but in reality knows exactly what it's doing. I'll look for it.

plsletitrain

Haha! Well in your case, I'm afraid to bet anything. Your taste is so hard to read I'm not sure if you'll like this or not. But I'm leaning towards like. This was a blindwatch and I'm more than happy to have come across this. This is a gem. Normally I'd say trust me. But not with you.