Fun If You Were Showrunner!

Who Would Make the Best Showrunner Out of Us Lot?

• The Show's Doing Just Fine, You Idiots!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gavin

• Doctor Omega

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Chainsaw Metal

• The Seeker

• Michaellevenson

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
23_tardis.jpg

I just finished another moan about the current state of DOCTOR WHO on a thread....

Then it occurred to me that: COULD I DO ANY BETTER?

Of course, I secretly think I could...

But what if I am deluding myself?

What would each of us do if, in some alternative universe, we have just been handed the keys to the show.

As this goes on, you will be able to vote for anyone who pitches their vision....

All a bit of fun.

But at least, on this thread, we can lay out our plans for OUR vision of the show, rather than just complain about the latest (idiot?) showrunner in charge of it.

Nominate yourselves or others for that coveted position and spin out your vision for DOCTOR WHO now....

Can the show be fixed? Or is it doing fine? or is it doomed already?

And how would you save it?

We must give our ideas of as many of the following as possible....

• Music
  • Companions
  • scripts: Arcs or solo stories?
  • Who to play the Doctor?
  • What is the companion(s) like?
  • Kisses to the past? Multi Doctor stories?
  • Old Monsters? Yay or nay?
  • Old writers returning?
  • What's canon? What's not?
  • Are you retconning Moffat? Chibnall? RTD? The classic era?
  • Timey wimey? Or just easy adventure stories?
  • Are you ready for flak from fans? How strong is your vision?
  • How many seasons/years do you want to do?
  • How many Doctors do you want to cast as time goes on? One? Two?
  • Bringing back old companions? Rose again?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I desperately want to win this poll, so am going away for a while to formulate my vision for the next fifty years or so of the show....

I like to think that, in years to come, they will talk in hushed tones about the Doctor Omega era of the programme. where everything went right.

Yet there is still a niggling voice at the back of my head that sees banners saying: "OMEGA MUST GO!" and petitions to have me booted out after my last disastrous season. :emoji_head_bandage:

Be right back! :emoji_alien:

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Its hard for me to comment on this as I tend to block out the music most of the time. I know its there but it doesn't impact me. People keep talking about the recurrence of "Clara's theme" and stuff like that and I'm like "Clara had a theme?". As a general rule I'd take a minimalist approach to the music. Not too much and not overpowering like it sometimes can be. And not telegraphing emotions.

• Companions
My preference has always been for more than one companion. This allows more dimensions of interaction. Plus you can split up the leads a bit more often that way.

I would generally lean towards solo stories, but with elements leading towards an overall arc and ongoing character development throughout the series.

I don't have any preference for this. I'd audition a wide range of actors and see who I liked. Gender and ethnicity wouldn't be an issue for me but I'd stick with a British actor.

Again, no real preference. Independent and able to think for themselves. Not someone who needs to be saved every episode but also not someone so indestructible they don't need the Doctor. A sense of wonder about the TARDIS and travelling the universe. A level of humour but not quipping their way through danger. Someone who understands the danger and can be scared when appropriate. A reluctant companion might be interesting. Someone who gets picked up and for some reason can't be immediately returned home?

I love multi-Doctor stories but they have to be kept for special occasions only. Too often and they lose their impact. Same with nods to the past, its great for the fans but you have to keep it accessible to new fans. On the other hand one of the things I wished they would have done for the 50th anniversary (probably too technologically challenging and expensive at the time) was a season where the Doctor travelled and interacted with a previous Doctor's story. My idea for the 50th anniversary was that the Doctor and Clara would travel through his timeline to stop the Great Intelligence from interfering with his past. Each episode would have been an interaction with a previous incarnation's story (along the lines of Trials and Tribbilations from Star Trek Deep Space 9). You wouldn't necessarily have the Doctor interacting with his previous incarnation (although maybe a brief meeting at some point) but the idea would be an opportunity to see a previous story from a different angle.

Sure if you can do justice to them. I'd love to visit the Zarbi again. Ogrons? The Wirrn? But there also needs to be new monsters created both one-off and recurring. There's no point in doing the show if all you're going to do is a "greatest hits" album. You need to also move forward.

• Old writers returning?
Depends on the writer and the story they pitch. Many of the classic series writers are no longer with us and some of those that are might not be able to write appropriately for the new format. But I'm always open to hearing story ideas. But at the same time there needs to be an ongoing flow of new writers coming on board. The show is pretty flexible in its concept so some "out of the box" ideas should always be on the table.

If its been on TV its canon. Otherwise not. But I'm open to introducing ideas from the extended universe into the show.

No

A combination of both. I think Stephan Moffatt strayed to far into the timey-wimey stuff at times. But the classic series rarely touched on it, instead just using the TARDIS as a means of getting from one adventure to another. I would like to do a follow up to the 7th Doctor story Battlefield exploring how the Doctor became known as Merlin.

This would be my big weakness. I doubt I'd cope well with criticism. And I'd probably be too tempted to listen to what fans wanted rather than think about what's right for the show.

Until I ran out of energy and/or ideas.

Depends how long I stick around for and how long the actors want to be there. I'd generally encourage a change every 3-4 years and I definitely don't think a Doctor should stick around more than 5 years.
As with multi-Doctor stories this should only be for very special occasions. Definitely not Rose, her story has been done to death. Most companions have had their stories told and have moved on. My exception would be that I'd like to see the Doctor go back and visit Susan for a story because I don't think her story was finished when she left. I would also have liked to have seen a cameo from William Russell as Ian when Clara was at Coal Hill, but I think the opportunity for that has passed.

Doctor Omega

I went away in February to think it over and am no nearer now to a formulated vision for the current show than then.

I think the problem is that I am still in love with Classic Who and never really fell in love with New Who.

To be asked to take over the reigns of a show I don't love and have no passion for would be asking for trouble.

I think I would frankly retcon the entirety of NEW WHO out of existence. SURVIVAL would be the last canonical story.

Hardly great qualifications or the right attitude for an incoming showrunner when I bring that zinger up at my first meeting.

(Still, at least it would generate some pithy comments from RTD and Moffat in the press about my arrogant incompetence. So it might be worth doing just for that.

And at least the moon wouldn't be an egg anymore.)

I might even be tempted to have the Doctor be genuinely dead, having lived out the natural 13 life span of a TIme Lord - and the story focus on the eternal TARDIS, lonely and lost, mourning her beloved Doctor. Said new owner would be taken into deadly perils, familiar to the ship, but nightmarish for whoever she was dragging around the universe.

That new owner would have to be worthy of ownership as no one could ever truly replace her former owner.

Anyway, that's my lame idea for a continuation of the series.

Regenerations would be out and it would depend on when each owner wanted to leave, before the Tardis continued it's journey to seek that next owner.

DOCTOR WHO: THE LEGACY would be the title of my Tardis-centric riff on that original show.

Oh God....

It's awful, isn't it!
:emoji_scream:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

So far that's Gavin and myself sat waiting outside the office of the BBC high ups.

Anyone else fancy making a bid for the job (and getting their name in the above poll)? :emoji_alien:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Chainsaw Metal has been granted an interview, after this remarkable pitch!

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/modern-doctor-who.1908/page-16#post-52627

Mayhaps it's not out of place, then, for me to throw my hat in for showrunner? I think I have some ideas of how to bring the show around.

Here's my pitch: The Doctor is stuck on Earth, regenerates into into Ricky Gervais, and has to drive a food truck around England selling tea and bacon rolls while defeating evil.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Just re-reading my suggestions above and I'm realising why I'm enjoying series 11 so much. Chibnall has stolen many of my ideas. Minimalist music, multiple companions, stand alone stories. No big timey-wimey stuff and no god-like Doctor saving the universe every other episode.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
First scene of first episode with me as showrunner;
The seventh Doctor steps out of the shower, dries himself off, and dresses and returns to Tardis control room.
Ace " Professor! How long does it take to have a bleedin' shower?"
Doc" sorry Ace, fell asleep while I was in there. Had a weird dream, future selves of yours truly having ludicrous illogical adventures that made no sense. Thankfully it was all a dream. Come on Ace, can't stand here chatting about my silly dreams, we've got work to do!"

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I have to agree, this last season of minimal music was about perfect. That's how I would go. Not that I don't love Gold's scores, but it was time to get away from the sweeping emotional musicscapes.
  • Companions
Get the hell away from everyone being modern day characters. I like that there is a "fam" for the Doctor now, but make it a mixed crew. Maybe a dashing Scotsman from the 18th century, and young woman gifted in maths from the future, possibly feisty teen girl who likes to blow things up, and a couple of school teachers. Oh, and a tin dog.
Solo stories. Maybe I would do on series where there was an arc, like Trial of a Time Lord, but more cohesive.

In all honesty, I really would like to see what Gervais would do with the role. I'd also like to see if Matt Berry could do a bit of drama. I think he could have the gravitas to pull off a brilliant condemning speech. And, of course, (and @ant-mac can hate me all he wants), Helen Mirren. Because behind the scenes we'd be shagging like bunnies.

(Yes, I know she's old enough to be my mother.)
(Quit Judging Me!)

As I said, there would be an eclectic crew, and from all over the place, not just contemporary England. Maybe one from the modern day, then one from the past, one from the future, something along those lines. None of this "Let's pop back home and see how everyone is doing".

I love Multi Doctor stories, but let's face it. The old Docs are getting up there, and you can't explain why the Sixth Doctor is three times his original size. I might bring McGann back (no, I would bring him back), or Capaldi. But over all, I would leave those to Big Finish and the comic books.

Yes, and I would do more than just tease the old fans with an appearance and just have them pop up for a few minutes. I would also utilize them properly.

• Old writers returning?
Cartmel. And Gaiman.

If it was onscreen, it's canon. Except that half-human thing.

No.

Mostly easy adventure stories. I would love to have some serious callbacks to the Hinchcliffe era, wit some brilliant gothic horror pieces. And the villains would all be villains again.

I suppose I might lose some of the fan fic fans who just want young, attractive Doctors that they can ship with companions. But that's not a big loss.

Yeah, I said it.

As many as I can.

I would like to be able to write for a few Doctors, but I also hope I can keep someone on the payroll for a while. This trend of going for a handful of series and then calling it quits bothers me.

There could be a few call backs, and some appearances (ACE, GAWDDAMMIT!!!) I have no problem with someone from the past popping up.

Wait, did you just say Rose? Why in the name of Moses Horowitz would you even bring her up?

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I have to agree, this last season of minimal music was about perfect. That's how I would go. Not that I don't love Gold's scores, but it was time to get away from the sweeping emotional musicscapes.

Get the hell away from everyone being modern day characters. I like that there is a "fam" for the Doctor now, but make it a mixed crew. Maybe a dashing Scotsman from the 18th century, and young woman gifted in maths from the future, possibly feisty teen girl who likes to blow things up, and a couple of school teachers. Oh, and a tin dog.

Solo stories. Maybe I would do on series where there was an arc, like Trial of a Time Lord, but more cohesive.

In all honesty, I really would like to see what Gervais would do with the role. I'd also like to see if Matt Berry could do a bit of drama. I think he could have the gravitas to pull off a brilliant condemning speech. And, of course, (and @ant-mac can hate me all he wants), Helen Mirren. Because behind the scenes we'd be shagging like bunnies.

(Yes, I know she's old enough to be my mother.)
(Quit Judging Me!)

As I said, there would be an eclectic crew, and from all over the place, not just contemporary England. Maybe one from the modern day, then one from the past, one from the future, something along those lines. None of this "Let's pop back home and see how everyone is doing".

I love Multi Doctor stories, but let's face it. The old Docs are getting up there, and you can't explain why the Sixth Doctor is three times his original size. I might bring McGann back (no, I would bring him back), or Capaldi. But over all, I would leave those to Big Finish and the comic books.

Yes, and I would do more than just tease the old fans with an appearance and just have them pop up for a few minutes. I would also utilize them properly.

Cartmel. And Gaiman.

If it was onscreen, it's canon. Except that half-human thing.

No.

Mostly easy adventure stories. I would love to have some serious callbacks to the Hinchcliffe era, wit some brilliant gothic horror pieces. And the villains would all be villains again.

I suppose I might lose some of the fan fic fans who just want young, attractive Doctors that they can ship with companions. But that's not a big loss.

Yeah, I said it.

As many as I can.

I would like to be able to write for a few Doctors, but I also hope I can keep someone on the payroll for a while. This trend of going for a handful of series and then calling it quits bothers me.

There could be a few call backs, and some appearances (ACE, GAWDDAMMIT!!!) I have no problem with someone from the past popping up.

Wait, did you just say Rose? Why in the name of Moses Horowitz would you even bring her up?
Why would I hate you? I simply like my Doctor's incarnations male.

In any case, the latest serial I've seen - or ever will see - is TWICE UPON A TIME. Whatever happens after that is none of my concern.

And I think Helen Mirren is a fine actress.