Review Info for Newbies to Classic Who.....

alpha128

Member: Rank 3
As the subject says, why are there so many sticky threads? They literally fill the screen, and I have to scroll down to see the regular threads.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
As the subject says, why are there so many sticky threads?
With the creation of these new sub-forums, it was thought that this was the perfect opportunity to take a proper look at the history of Classic Who - one season at the time. Obviously, some seasons contain more serials than others. They will be periodically changed, once enough time has elapsed for everyone who is interested to have had their say about them, should they wish.

It is simply an experiment. An attempt to try something different for the members who are interested in DOCTOR WHO.
They literally fill the screen, and I have to scroll down to see the regular threads.
Luckily - or unluckily - depending upon your point of view, not all seasons of Classic Who have quite so many serials.

alpha128

With the creation of these new sub-forums, it was thought that this was the perfect opportunity to take a proper look at the history of Classic Who - one season at the time.
Since the sticky threads don't all have the year in the title, I didn't realize that they represented the complete first season.

Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:

ant-mac

Sorry, I spilled soda earlier. ant-mac shook my Mountain Dew.
If your Mountain Dew was the original version, without the added caffeine, I would not only have shook it, but I would also of nicked it.

In Australia, we only seem to get the new version and I think it's a load of caffeinated shit.

ant-mac

Since the sticky threads don't all have the year in the title, I didn't realize that they represented the first complete first season.
Really?

I honestly thought this information was freely available - on the internet and elsewhere - to anyone who was interested in DOCTOR WHO.

Perhaps another goal for these various threads should be to provide useful facts and figures about all of the serials in them and not just personal opinions.
Thanks for the explanation.
You're very welcome.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
If your Mountain Dew was the original version, without the added caffeine, I would not only have shook it, but I would also of nicked it.

In Australia, we only seem to get the new version and I think it's a load of caffeinated shit.
Take it you still haven't tried the new Dew.S.A flavor it. Also we do have Mt. Dew made with real sugar over here and it tastes like the old stuff to a degree. It even has the hillbilly on it chilling on the white label.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Sure, but it's about the only thing that keeps me up and running at work. If only I had a manservant who would bring me endless mocha lattes from Starbucks.

Take it you still haven't tried the new Dew.S.A flavor it. Also we do have Mt. Dew made with real sugar over here and it tastes like the old stuff to a degree. It even has the hillbilly on it chilling on the white label.
Dew.S.A. is Awesome! It tastes like bombpops!!! And I do love Mountain Dew Throwback. Tonight, though? It's Code Red. Because I love that cherry flavor, and it was on sale.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Sure, but it's about the only thing that keeps me up and running at work. If only I had a manservant who would bring me endless mocha lattes from Starbucks.

Dew.S.A. is Awesome! It tastes like bombpops!!! And I do love Mountain Dew Throwback. Tonight, though? It's Code Red. Because I love that cherry flavor, and it was on sale.
Gamer Fuel is another great flavor. Pretty much Code Red, Baja, Blue, Black, Orange, White, Original, are all good flavors. Hated the Lemonade they came out a while back. Nasty and sour.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I didn't care for Baja or White. Black is better now that they changed the formula. When they first premiered it I hated it.

When I was in high school, I was in marching band. After halftime of the football games, we would go in, change back into street clothes, and go watch the game. A buddy of mine, who lived right by the school, would bring me a couple of 20 oz. bottles of Dew with vodka added, or the Dew Driver, as we called them. Soooo good.

ant-mac

No thank you, HPD, I'll stick to the authentic flavour of the original Mountain Dew.

Anything else is unnatural and a crime against nature.

To quote Reuben the lighthouse keeper from HORROR OF FANG ROCK: "T'ain't natural..."

ant-mac

Did you know that if you stand in front of your bathroom mirror at midnight and repeat the same, "Starbucks" three times in a row...

You get sweet fuck all... Seriously, you didn't actually think anything would happen, did you?
I pity your tastebuds - or whatever might be left of them...

ant-mac

Now you know what years of chilis and curry and cheap beer will do to the average tongue.
I think it's worth the risk to enjoy the pleasure of those three "Cs". Just so long as damaged tastes buds don't interfere with the performance of three other important "Cs"...

Cheeky tongue poking, coarse language and cunnilingus.

alpha128

Really?

I honestly thought this information (on the complete first season) was freely available - on the internet and elsewhere - to anyone who was interested in DOCTOR WHO.
I'm sure it is. But I don't have all the seasons memorized, and the presentation of the threads did not immediately clue me in that they were all first season serials.

Oh, and I don't drink Mountain Dew or any sugary beverages, caffeinated or not. I drink black coffee - no cream, no sugar.

ant-mac

I'm sure it is. But I don't have all the seasons memorized, and the presentation of the threads did not immediately clue me in that they were all first season serials.
Yeah, that's fair enough.

Don't mind me, I've ate, slept and lived DOCTOR WHO since about 1975...
Oh, and I don't drink Mountain Dew or any sugary beverages, caffeinated or not. I drink black coffee - no cream, no sugar.
I take my tea black and my coffee white - with one sugar in each.

Salzmank

Member: Rank 2
Hi, everyone--

OK, seeing all these threads makes me wonder: where would you recommend that a newbie start with "Classic Who"? I've largely resisted the Doctor Who craze because (1) I'm not a big fan of science-fiction and (2) I've seen two episodes of the new program and disliked both of them.

A friend of mine whose opinion I trust has assured me, however, that the original Who is far better, and much more akin to The Avengers, which may well be favorite television show of all time.

So... where should a newbie begin?

Thanks!

Salzmank

ant-mac

The only place to start is at the beginning...

AN UNEARTHLY CHILD.

However, if you don't like science fiction, there's no reason why you should enjoy Classic Who anymore than you liked New Who.

Just out of curiosity, what were the two episodes of New Who you saw?

Where they one serial, or two?

Salzmank

Member: Rank 2
The only place to start is at the beginning...

AN UNEARTHLY CHILD.

However, if you don't like science fiction, there's no reason why you should enjoy Classic Who anymore than you liked New Who.

Just out of curiosity, what were the two episodes of New Who you saw?

Where they one serial, or two?
Well, Ant-Mac, thing is, I don't hate science-fiction, I'm just not the biggest fan in the world. I especially don't like it when action and technology take the place of genuine character and story; that's why I like the original Star Trek series, which offered clever plotting and likable characters, more than Star Wars and its ilk.

I mostly didn't like the episodes of the new program I saw because I thought the acting atrocious, the style lacking, and the appearance cheap. (But mostly the acting...) I was not emotionally invested in the characters or particularly interested in the plots (though I thought the concepts were good, just not the executions). I saw--let me look 'em up--"The Wasp and the Unicorn" (2008) and "Army of Ghosts" (2006). I also saw brief clips of an episode with the "Crying Angels," I think? Those angel statues? But I didn't see the whole thing.

Again, someone did tell me that the feel of the classic episodes is very different from that of the moderns. "The Daemons" looks particularly interesting.

Last edited:

Carol

Member: Rank 5
So... where should a newbie begin?
I'd simply recommend Rose, the first episode of the first series of the new era. So much of rewatching old episodes (which have been lately idolised as Classic Who is nostalgia for pour childhood, I think. Absolutely nothing wrong with that of course, but the new generation of viewers who weren't even born when old Who was (temporarily) cancelled (for about 16 years) needed to know from scratch what they were getting into. OK you have 22 years of backstory to reckon with in your own good time...it's a kit kitschier, but lovably bonkers) but I do hope you enjoy getting stuck into the great new version.

And yes, The Daemons is seriously up there in my all time favourites from the previous millennium.