Review Inhumans (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
asgersg.jpg

Your thoughts on this show.....

An isolated community of superhumans fight to protect themselves.

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Looks interesting. I've never been a big fan of the Inhumans from the few appearances I've seen of them in Fantastic Four. That and the fact that I'm rapidly becoming overloaded with Marvel (and DC) TV shows might mean I give this one a miss.

Doctor Omega

“Marvel’s Inhumans” Gets A Dud Timeslot

a0d26285689e706541a1d79b2bccfa27bb508776.jpg

ABC announced its Fall lineup today, but the announcement that got most people scratching their heads had to do with their Marvel properties.

The high-profile “Marvel’s Inhumans,” which gets an IMAX premiere launch ahead of an eight-episode run, is being sentenced to the Friday 9pm timeslot – considered one of the least watched and worst time slots on the schedule.

At the same time, the struggling “Once Upon A Time,” which is effectively being retooled for next season, is being moved to Friday 8pm to serve as the lead-in to “Inhumans” – a pairing that ABC chief Channing Dungey says was a request of fans.

Though it may be trying to please fans, and could be an experiment by ABC to see how much impact DVR can have over Live+Same Day ratings, it’s still being painted as either a bit of a snub and a potential lack of confidence in the new series.

The network is also holding back “Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D” until mid-season, the series taking over the timeslot from “Inhumans” once it has finished airing.

Source: ABC

Doctor Omega

LEAKED Footage From Marvel's INHUMANS Features A Teleporting Lockjaw And More

Some footage from the first trailer for Inhumans has found its way online today and it offers up a look at Black Bolt teleporting alongside Lockjaw and the royal family sitting down to dinner...

lockjaw.gif

The response to Inhumans can't have been the one Marvel and IMAX hoped for. The first official image has been met with a mixed response, while leaked screengrabs have spoiled the first trailer and received a similarly divided reception for the most part. Now, actual footage from the series has appeared and it offers up a look at some key moments which may help you actually get pretty excited.

First up is a shot of Lockjaw teleporting alongside Black Bolt, an impressive piece of visual effects which may explain all that talk of the series utilising a feature-level budget thanks to IMAX's involvement.

We also have a shot of the Inhuman royal family sitting down to dinner, though this doesn't look quite as impressive, especially thanks to Medusa's dodgy looking wig (which is likely to be fixed in post).

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Inhumans is set to debut on IMAX screens on September 1, 2017, the first live-action television series to debut in IMAX. The theatrical run is scheduled for two weeks, before the series premieres on ABC on September 29, and runs for eight episodes.

Doctor Omega

“Inhumans” Director Not A Fan Of The Trailer

inhumans-director-not-a-fan-of-the-trailer-696x464.jpg

ABC held off for a long time showing anything, and when the first trailer for “Marvel’s Inhumans” went online the backlash was immediate. It was, admittedly, an early teaser with little to no effects work and it made the high-profile show look rough… very rough.

In an interview with Metro, the pilot episode’s director Roel Reine has surprisingly revealed his dislike of the trailer and how he too was let down by the network’s push to have something out – even if it was unfinished:

“I was mixed about the first trailer as well. I felt like it didn’t give you the scope, it didn’t give you a lot of secrets or visual effects. I felt it was a little bit too early because the visual effects were not ready – Medusa’s hair was not ready. So I was really nervous about it and would think the fans would not really like it. The trailer was made by other people, so I was really nervous about it when I saw it. So I was like, ‘oh guys maybe we should hold off’, but it was too late because it was already in the open.”

The director did go on to say he was more pleased with the second trailer which was released the other week: “The second trailer really got all the fans back on track and they really like it now and they really want to see it. I was really happy with that second trailer.”

“Marvel’s Inhumans” premieres in IMAX on September 1st ahead of its broadcast premiere on ABC on September 29th.

Doctor Omega

“Inhumans” Director On Tight Schedule

inhumans-director-on-tight-schedule-696x464.jpg

There have been complaints that ABC’s “Marvel’s Inhumans” series looks cheap. Turns out there’s a reason for that.

Roel Reine (“Death Race 2,” “Hard Target 2”), who directed the first two episodes of the series which will premiere in IMAX in two weeks, spoke with CNET about his involvement and says a big reason he was hired was he could do the work quickly and cheaply:

“I think they liked me for the job because I was able with my action movies to shoot in a very short time, or with very low budgets, action that looks like a big-budget movie. The schedule was super-tight. I had TV schedule time to shoot it with IMAX cameras, 20 days to shoot two episodes. It’s nerve-wracking but I come from a low-budget film world, so 20 days for me is luxury.”

Reine also says Marvel was strict about continuity and had an executive on hand at all times to keep an eye on things:

“There was always a Marvel executive around me, just to make sure that whatever I did, or whatever we did together, would tie in with other characters in other universes, in other comics, in other series or movies. They’re very protective. These people are very passionate about their product and about characters and about doing the best version of everything.”

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Inhumans,” “Tulip Fever” Fizzle At Box-Office

inhumans-tulip-fever-fizzle-at-box-office-696x464.jpg

It was expected to be one of the worst moviegoing weekends in ages, and now it has proven correct. The four-day Labor Day holiday weekend box-office for this year is now looking to finish up late tomorrow with around $90-100 million total.

That’s not just down by 22% from last year. It is, in fact, the lowest-grossing Labor Day weekend since 1998. A big reason for this was the lack of any new wide releases, leading to films like “Hitman’s Bodyguard” and “Annabelle Creation” from mid-August still holding strong.

Two projects did score a theatrical release this Friday and bellyflopped on impact. The first was the Weinstein’s much-delayed “Tulip Fever” starring Alicia Vikander which bombed big time. The film will place at 20th on the box-office for the weekend with an estimated $1.5 million for the four-day break.

ABC and Marvel Television’s “Inhumans” hit 380 IMAX theaters and is projected to earn $1.4 million for the four days. It’s not as bad as it could be, though is notably down from initial $2 milllion estimates for the period. Hurting it more though is the social media reaction from screening attendees which don’t paint a kind picture.

The box-office is expected to kick off the Fall in style with “IT” set for a huge debut next weekend, the “Kingsman” sequel likely to open well two weeks later, and a few others in September offering some serious potential in a month that’s normally pretty dead.

Doctor Omega

ABC & Marvel Argued Over “Inhumans” Quality?

abc-marvel-argued-over-inhumans-quality-696x464.jpg

Ever since the first photos and footage for Marvel’s upcoming “Inhumans” series were released, the show has been battling negative buzz which has only grown stronger by the week. Now there may be a reason why.

Sources for trade publication Variety report that concerns over the quality of the upcoming series, most notably regarding the visual effects and scripts which proved a major source of contention between ABC and Marvel.

The new series premiered its first two episodes over the Labor Day weekend as part of a unique production partnership with IMAX. It was the investment from IMAX that effectively paid for the whole season, regardless of its performance on broadcast.

That might potentially explain the show’s much criticised ‘cheap’ look if Marvel cut the budget because they cared little for the result. The IMAX box-office numbers, around $2.6 million worldwide for the opening two episodes, is likely to dissuade such production collaborations in the future.

Doctor Omega

“Inhumans” continues to garner bad press ahead of its TV launch this Friday, and the report says the sentiment within ABC is about on par with concerns expressed to Marvel Television during production over the show’s quality and that “the scripts were as problematic as the effects.”

Reviews so far for the series makes the thrashing of Marvel and Netflix’s “Iron Fist,” which was also under the direction of the same showrunner Scott Buck, seem tame in comparison

Doctor Omega

arvel TV’s chief Jeph Loeb recently participated in a Reddit AMA for the premiere of “Cloak and Dagger” on Freeform and he touched upon some other series from Marvel TV in recent years that didn’t receive a good reception.

First up, Loeb was asked if the key characters from the cancelled “Inhumans” could reprise their roles on other Marvel series, Loeb responded: “Hope so. We love these characters and the actors are the best.”