Review Intelligent Listening for Beginners: Episode 3

Discussion in 'TV: Cult' started by Doctor Omega, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

feature-image-star-cops.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

Spring fires two Star Cops, Pal Kenzy and Kirk Hubble, for corruption. A terrorist organisation, the Black Hand Gang, has attacked a chemical plant and the Channel Tunnel using a computer worm. The Star Cops are warned of further attacks by a communications expert engaged in secret research on an outpost on the Moon.

On to the next episode.....

TRIVIAL GAMES & PARANOID PURSUITS

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/trivial-games-paranoid-pursuits-episode-4.3522/

Back to the previous episode....

CONVERSATIONS WITH THE DEAD

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/conversations-with-the-dead-episode-2.3505/

#1 Doctor Omega, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. michaellevenson

michaellevenson Member: Rank 5

One of my favourite episodes.
    Linda Newton is terrific and I'm at this point warming to Devis. I think I've got the bomb plot sussed, it was a device imbedded in a glass ball, it was a bit confusing. The FX here is good as Devis floats about with his hair standing on end, an additional touch suggested by Pete Conrad of NASA , third man on the moon who visited the set.
    Nathan's nervousness in the moonrover as he and Theroux approached Chandri's outpost was well-done, reminding the viewer that this is a dangerous environment. The computer virus/invisible worm that flies in the night idea was ahead of it's time. The gang behind it misnaming themselves The Black Hand Gang, instead of The Black Hand was a nice touch. The only downside was Chandri killing his personnel and then himself because of failure was a bit unlikely.
    This was alluded to in the script in Nathan's remark about having a father who is dead makes it harder to please him.
    The ending whereby Kenzy has reinstated herself virtually was a upbeat note to end.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

The firing of Pal Kenzie and her reinstating herself at the end are the standout scenes for me and it is, indeed, nice to see Devis starting to settle in as a regular.

David Theroux still seems to be overselling his lines with his dramatic blurting out of "You supercilious bastard!" not helping his cause. I have never heard anyone use that word in an argument and it came across a little unreal and forced out to me.

I think that Boucher is great at writing dialogue for the, occasionally over the top, and larger than life archetypes of Blake's 7, but seems to struggle to write naturalistic and believable dialogue for the very real people of Star Cops. He blames the actors during the commentary, but I also think he needed to shoulder his share of the blame. Not every conversation needed to be filled with glib asides and bleakly ironic comments, clearly all written by the same cynical writer and put into the mouths of too many of the characters.

That is why Anna Shoun will actually be a breath of fresh air, when she turns up. She was a good contrast in this show full of world/moon weary cynics. And Boucher was not happy at her introduction. Sorry Chris, but she worked well.

The episode itself is competently done and Star Cops is starting to find it's feet.