Review The Whittaker Doctor

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Rumours are that they are keen to cast a woman this time around...
Whilst I am not entirely against changing the gender or race of the Doctor, for me it is all about how it is done. As a one off, during an already established life cycle, I am against it. However, the next time the Doctor reaches the end of his life cycle of 13 lives - and if he is granted a third one - that would be the time for a change.

And whatever his gender or race is in the first life of his new life cycle, then that is what the Doctor should remain for the rest of that life cycle. So if the Doctor is a black female, then she remains a black female for the entire life cycle. I can not provide any firm reasoning as to why I feel it should be done this way, except for the fact that it feels like the right way to do it to me.

So whether the third life cycle is full of white males, black males, white females, black females - or some other variation on the theme - I believe they should stick with it throughout. However, whatever ends up happening, I'm sure it probably won't be anything that I've described here.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
A magnificent surprise - plenty of white, male, British actors around who could ace it. The recent winning formula is either someone quite unknown, or very well-known for something completely different. Why mess with a winning formula?

Carol

He would - you just know he would....
On the other hand, I'm sure Warwick Davis would be happy to frock up and oblige - giver that he's already Known To Who as a slightly displaced galactic emperor in need of moral support; well - I just found his identical, militant, post-op sister in need of a Tardis.
I've read sillier things....

Carol

All 3 wonderful performers, but if you were any of them, would your diary be clear to do it for the next 3 years, or would you want to walk into that particular bear-pit?
Would the world be ready for a more mature female Doctor and her teenage, laddy sidekick?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I think down the road, I might be more accepting of a female Doctor. I really have no issues whatsoever with the idea of it, but here's the thing. The Doctor has, for fifty-plus years, been established as a man. Can they change that? Absolutely. But from his experience, I just wonder if it would change the dynamic of the show too much. Also, when you know that it will upset a large part of your fanbase, you have ot make sure it's done with finesse and care, and not just done as a publicity stunt.

However, if they go with a black male, my vote is still for Idris Elba. I know, he's most likely too busy, but I love the idea of seeing him at the TARDIS console.

ant-mac

Hypothetically speaking, if we were already at the beginning of the Doctor's third life cycle, I'd personally nominate the following females to all have a turn in the role...

Dame Judi Dench

Dame Helen Mirren

Joanna Lumley

Nicola Walker

Katherine Parkinson

I know there are many other talented actresses out there, but these five are amongst my personal favourites. It might also be wise to work from oldest to youngest, just to make sure everyone has a better chance of having a shot in the TARDIS - should they wish to do so.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39093558

_94848744_harewoodget.jpg

Actor David Harewood has said the next Doctor Who should not be another white man - and has thrown his own hat into the ring.

The Homeland and Supergirl star is among the actors whose names have been suggested to replace Peter Capaldi.

"It's nice to be in the running," he told BBC News.

"It needs to do something different, so I think it's either going to be a black person or a woman. It would just bring a different flavour to it."

The 51-year-old British actor has already been in Doctor Who, appearing in the 2009-10 double bill The End of Time. He can currently be seen playing the Martian Manhunter in the The CW's Supergirl.

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
I'm no diehard fan but seen a lot of Who sofar and to be honest, I would love to see David Harewood having a go at it and many like him, whether they be famous or not at all.

I do think if they would go for a woman [all 13] then they also have to re-arrange the sidekick part and all the ladies the Dr ran into the last few times lol. That's gonna be hard to do I guess, but nothing to hard for the Doctor!

It's always been a UK, british thing, so they should keep that nomatter gender or race. I wouldn't like it as much if the Doctor would be latin and speak broken english mixed with spanish or something stupid like that.

Also maybe a bit yonger ones, to get some more of the younger people into it!

ant-mac

I'm no diehard fan but seen a lot of Who sofar and to be honest, I would love to see David Harewood having a go at it and many like him, whether they be famous or not at all.
Just as soon as the Doctor's third life cycle rolls around...
I do think if they would go for a woman [all 13] then they also have to re-arrange the sidekick part and all the ladies the Dr ran into the last few times lol. That's gonna be hard to do I guess, but nothing to hard for the Doctor!
Either that, or settle back with a big box of tissues for some girl-on-girl action.

But probably best not to think about what new uses might be found for the sonic screwdriver.
It's always been a UK, british thing, so they should keep that nomatter gender or race. I wouldn't like it as much if the Doctor would be latin and speak broken english mixed with spanish or something stupid like that.
I always thought it was a Gallifrey thing - or at most a Constellation of Kasterborous thing.
Also maybe a bit yonger ones, to get some more of the younger people into it!
When I started watching at around the age of five or six, the incumbent was in his fifties.

It never stopped me.

ant-mac

I like his work - at least the work he's done that I've seen - and I would personally have no problem with him becoming the next Doctor. I think he is quite capable of being just strange enough to be a Doctor. Perhaps in the same way that Tom Baker was strange.

AlanH49

Member: Rank 1
Bookies suspend betting on Kris Marshall taking over from Peter Capaldi in Doctor Who

I'm sorry but this means nothing except that either a lot of people have placed bets on Kris being the next Doctor or a few people placed large bets on it or both. The bookies do not know who the next Doctor will be any more than we do they just do not want to lose a lot of money if it is Kris.