Review Yoko (and John)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
00001.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie......

A new biopic about legendary Beatles frontman John Lennon and his wife Yoko Ono.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

For all his faults (which ran deep) Lennon sure knew how to pen a tune.

Mind you, people tend to forget a lot of his mediochre to bad solo work.

But when he shone, he shone.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Knowing that Yoko has a hand in making this makes me less than enthusiastic about seeing it. Obviously, she knew John best, but I think what we'll get is a one-sided story about how the other Beatles were assholes to her and John, and she's just a victim in all of it.
I knew Yoko Ono was evil. She broke up the Beatles!
Yeah, but Linda had a role in it as well. Musicians gotta learn not to let their significant others in on band issues.

chainsaw_metal1

Really? Linda?
While Yoko was certainly the biggest instigator - insisting on John bringing her into rehearsals, driving a wedge between John and Paul - I had always read that Linda, in her own way, helped split the band up. Both women sat behind the scenes telling their men that they were better off without the other, and both John and Paul had egos that needed that push. Granted, there were other things going on as well,and without the impetus, they most likely wouldn't have lasted more than another few years, but it had always seemed to me - from what I had read - that both women had pushed the split much sooner.

Of course, one does have to take into account that, during the 70s when John and Yoko were split, he and Paul had reignited their friendship and had considered a collaboration until Yoko put a stop to it when she and John got back together.

Doctor Omega

I think it might be more interesting and revealing to have a movie shedding some light - finally - on The Ballad of Sam & Yoko: A Love Story....

2EE35D8C00000578-0-image-m-16_1448755536256.jpg

The dark truth about Yoko: DJ who secured legendary last interviews with John Lennon reveals disturbing questions about her cynical scheming, her 'sham' marriage and her lover who dressed in star's clothes
  • BBC man Andy Peebles interview Lennon and Yoko Ono in 1980
  • Two days later, Lennon was assassinated in New York City by a crazed fan
  • Following the pivotal interview, Peebles struck up a friendship with Ono
  • Speaking for the first time, he recalls his misgivings about her conduct after Lennon's death - including how she acted with her new boyfriend

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...th-Yoko-Ono-revealed-BBC-DJ-Andy-Peebles.html

2EE35D9900000578-0-image-m-13_1448755470738.jpg

John was said to have been well aware that his wife was attracted to Havadtoy. One track on Double Fantasy is I’m Losing You – which John composed and wrote in a two-hour frenzy, fearful that Yoko, whom John called “Mother”, had fallen in love with Havadtoy.
On the same night as John’s murder, it is said, Havadtoy moved into the Dakota. He barely left Yoko’s side for months.
But suddenly, Sam took on a new image. Yoko had her young companion dress up in John’s old clothes, and wear his hair long, just like John’s. It was an impersonation that shocked and embarrassed their neighbours, including ballet star Rudolph Nureyev, who commented on it.
Havadtoy and Yoko wound up spending 20 years together – far longer than her marriage to John – and separated in 2000.

Peebles says: ‘I started asking myself whether she and Sam had been having a relationship before John’s death. All the pennies dropped at once.

Doctor Omega

"I'm Losing You": John Lennon

Here in some stranger's room
Late in the afternoon
What am I doing here at all?
Ain't no doubt about it
I'm losing you
I'm losing you

Somehow the wires have crossed
Communication's lost
Can't even get you on the telephone
Just got to shout about it
I'm losing you
I'm losing you

Well, here in the valley of indecision
I don't know what to do
I feel you slipping away
I feel you slipping away
I'm losing you
I'm losing you

Well now you say you're not getting enough
But I remind you of all that bad, bad, bad stuff
So what the hell am I supposed to do?
Just put a band-aid on it?
And stop the bleeding now
Stop the bleeding now
Well...

I'm losing you
I'm losing you

Well, well, well
I know I hurt you then
But hell, that was way back when
Well, do you still have to carry that cross? (Drop it!)
Don't wanna hear about it
I'm losing you
I'm losing you

Don't wanna lose you now
Well...
No, no, no, no...

Yoko was not happy with this raw and edgy first version of I'M LOSING YOU and sacked the musicians, resulting in this less edgy version on the final album of DOUBLE FANTASY.....

R-515893-1363442561-4719.jpeg.jpg

And then, on the same album, Yoko composed a reply song to John's.....

I'm Moving On: Yoko Ono

Save your sweet talk
For when you score,
Keep your monday kisses
For your glass lady.
I want the truth and nothing more,
Im moving on,
Moving on,
Youre getting phony.

You didnt have to tell me a white lie,
You know you scored me for life.
Dont stick your fingers in my pie,
You know, Ill see through your jive.
I want the truth and nothing more,
Im moving on,
Moving on,
Were getting phony.

When you were angry
You had love in your eyes,
When you were sad
You had dream in your voice.
Now youre giving me your window smile,
Im moving on,
Moving on,
Its getting phony.

Moving on!

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Slightly off topic, but......

*Video since deleted from Youtube.

An entitled brat, walking out during an interview (at around 7.55) because the interviewer won't shut up about his father and not Sean's new album?

Or does he have a valid point and they should be concentrating on Sean's music and not the legend that was his brutally murdered and lost father?

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

One could argue both, but the latter is the most obvious. I remember an interview with Brandon Lee, where he sat in a woman's office who was looking to cast him. On the back of his promo photo, someone had written "Bruce Lee's Son". She asked if it annoyed him, to which he quipped, "Not if you don't mind being referred to as the blond with big tits". Apparently, she did mind.

So yeah, you can talk about their famous lineage, but they want to make it on their own and are proud of their work. So let them be their own persons.

Doctor Omega

While, of course, they have the right to choose whichever vocation they please, I sometimes think that - considering the many, many vocations that they could have opted for - they make a rod for their own back by choosing the very same vocation that their parent made such an impact in. It just simply invites comparison.

Someone like Stella McCartney perhaps has the right idea? Going into a field that she can make her own mark in, unfettered by direct comparisons with her father or mother? Although I suspect nepotism is still strongly at work, the family name giving them a huge advantage, at least they are striking out in a new creative area.

I remember Julian for SALTWATER, and MUCH TOO LATE FOR GOODBYES, but have never really listened to anything of Sean's yet.

01. Dead Meat
02. Wait For Me
03. Parachute
04. Friendly Fire
05. Spectacle
06. Tomorrow
07. On Again Off Again
08. Headlights
09. Would I Be The One
10. Falling Out Of Love

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

The song that John and Yoko were recording, mixing and editing the night he was murdered...... Yoko released it as a 45rpm single after John's death

YOKO_ONO_SEASON+OF+GLASS+++7_-188756b.jpg

WALKING ON THIN ICE

On the B-side was an old song of Yoko's that she re-recorded and remixed. She added some audio of John walking in Central Park from 1980......

IT HAPPENED

The back cover, with a message from Yoko.....

yoko-ono-walking-on-thin-ice-1981-5.jpg

Doctor Omega

And, getting back to the subject of Linda.....

McCartney tells of hurt at mockery of Linda's singing

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/mccartney-tells-of-hurt-at-mockery-of-lindas-singing-26088404.html

a8cc73e5ed93c5075a25c8276f1acfa9--linda-mccartney-madison-square-garden.jpg

A BOOTLEG tape of the late Linda McCartney singing out of tune caused her so much hurt that Sir Paul McCartney has revealed that it was a prime reason for his latest project - a documentary on the history of his band Wings.

The tape, isolating Linda McCartney's backing vocals to "Hey Jude" at a concert at Knebworth with sound engineers laughing, has been passed round the music industry for years.

Sir Paul has now released a double greatest hits CD Wingspan and an accompanying TV documentary, in which he is interviewed by his daughter Mary about the creation of the group and its chart success.

But in an interview to be published in Mojo magazine later this week, Sir Paul says that a major motivation for the whole exercise was to exorcise the humiliation of that tape and the criticism of Linda that resulted. He says of the CD/documentary: "The great thing is, it vindicates Linda. I know she wanted to do the Wingspan thing. She knew that if it was laid out correctly, people would get the idea. With all the slagging off she got, like the famous Knebworth tape.

"The truth is she was doing this (he stands and raises his hands above his head to clap). She was the big cheerleader. But you don't see the visual. You just hear this out-of-tune-voice, and I know she always wanted the record put straight. And this does.

"You see her playing. And you hear her singing beautifully."

Sir Paul also talks in the interview about his relationship with John Lennon. He shows, not for the first time, his resentment at the stereotyping of Lennon as the working-class Beatle.

"Everyone thought John was the hard, working-class hero. As you know, if you look at his house, he was actually the middle-class one from Woolton. We were the scruffs. He had the full works of Winston Churchill. Nobody any of us knew had that," said McCartney.

But he also speaks tenderly of his reconciliation with Lennon shortly before the latter's murder.

"It's one of the great blessings of my life that during the last year we made it up," he said.

Doctor Omega

R-468498-1314510407.jpeg.jpg

MI0000144706.jpg

Season of Glass is a 1981 album by Yoko Ono, her first solo recording after the murder of her husband John Lennon. The album was released less than six months after Lennon's death and deals with it directly in songs such as "Goodbye Sadness" and "I Don't Know Why". Season of Glass charted at number 49, making it Ono's highest-charting solo album to date.

Tracklist

00:00 Goodbye Sadness
03:50 Mindweaver
08:15 Even When You're Far Away
13:36 Nobody Sees Me Like You Do
17:10 Turn of the Wheel
19:54 Dogtown
23:18 Silver Horse
26:22 I Don't Know Why
30:41 Extension 33
33:26 No, No, No
36:11 Will You Touch Me
38:49 She Gets Down on Her Knees
43:04 Toyboat
46:37 Mother of the Universe
51:09 Walking on thin ice

The front cover features Lennon's bloodstained glasses positioned next to a half-filled glass of water, with a view of Central Park in the background. A young Sean Lennon features on the track "Even When You're Far Away", recounting a story his father used to tell him.

After Lennon was killed, Ono retrieved his bloodied eyeglasses and photographed them against a backdrop of Central Park, using them as a reminder of both how much he loved New York City and how cruel it could be.
For Season of Glass—her 1981 album and her first after Lennon was murdered—she sat them next to a half-empty glass, and poured forth a beautiful, often challenging document of her grief. The album’s first single, “No, No, No,” began with the sound of four gunshots ringing out, followed by Ono’s piercing, devastated shriek and a cacophony of slightly untuned guitars.

Ms. Ono also said that she thought it was important for people to understand what happened to her husband, who was shot four times in the back. “Instead of just enjoying John’s beautiful songs, I wanted everyone to understand the reality of what happened to him,” she said.

Last edited: