Review John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)

Lucas

Member: Rank 4

Directed by: Chad Stahelski
Written by: Derek Kolstad

After returning to the criminal underworld to repay a debt, John Wick discovers that a large bounty has been put on his life.

The Rottentomatoes score has begun and... it's looking really promising ;)

First Rotten
90%
Average Rating
: 6.9/10
Reviews Counted: 9
Fresh: 10
Rotten: 1

Currently
95%
Average Rating
: 7.4/10
Reviews Counted: 39
Fresh: 37

MetaScore

Reviews Counted: 14

Last edited:

Lucas

We have our first rotten which bumped it down to 90% and the average rating down to 6.9/10.

91%
Average Rating
: 6.9/10
Reviews Counted: 11
Fresh: 10

Last edited:

Lucas

We don't know where Chapter 2 will stay once all is said and done but it's looking to be at least pretty similar. It had 85% on Rottentomatoes with a 6.9/10 average rating and a 68/100 MetaScore.

Lucas

Yeah it's rare we get a sequel as positively received as this, especially considering what kind of movie John Wick was.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
I liked the original, it was somewhat different, even with all the predictable stuff but I've never suspected they will make a sequel and if they do I was sure it was gonna fluke big time... this is a surprise, can't wait to see it!

Lucas

Yeah I'll be honest I've never actually even seen it. I just know pretty much everything about it through osmosis by now. I'll definitely make sure to watch it before this one comes out.

Lucas

94%
Average Rating
: 7.3/10
Reviews Counted: 16
Fresh: 15

The percentage and average rating just went up and still no more rotten reviews in sight, this is looking good for the movie and should get it a certified fresh score.

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
Taken in the right context, the John Wick movies are great entertainment. Just switch of and enjoy the ridiculous mayhem. If anything, I would say that Chapter 2 was better than Chapter 1.

With box office approaching $126 million on an estimated $40 million budget, it may have enough momentum for Chapter 3. Given where 2 leaves of, it might be interesting to see how they continue John's story.