Review Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Westworld & “Jurassic” Viral Sites Tease

In the wake of their Superbowl ads on the weekend, viral sites related to both the second season of HBO’s “Westworld” and Universal’s upcoming “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” have gone online.

The “Westworld” site, www.DelosDestinations.com, teases six separate ‘worlds’ with Westworld being just one of these. The second consists of forested rocky mountains and is very likely to be Samurai World which was briefly glimpsed at the end of the first season. The remaining four remain ‘unopened to the public’.

As for the “Jurassic World” site, it’s for the fictional non-profit organization Dinosaur Protection Group (dinosaurprotectiongroup.com) run by Claire Dearing (Bryce Dallas Howard). The group is dedicated to establishing and protecting the rights of all living dinosaurs. It also goes into the background of some of the new characters.

The second season of “Westworld” will premiere on HBO on April 22nd. “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” opens June 22nd.

Doctor Omega

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Universal Pictures has released a new video for the fictional Dinosaur Protection Group, a viral website tie-in for “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” opening June 22nd. Bryce Dallas Howard’s Claire Dearing appears in the clip with the video highlighting her work as founder of the conservation group.

Doctor Omega

“Jurassic World” Sequel Had Too Much Story

jurassic-world-sequel-had-too-much-story.jpg

After Colin Trevorrow first signed on to direct “Jurassic World,” he mapped out a plan for an entire trilogy. With the sequel “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom,” he handed over the reins to director J.A. Bayona but was still involved in the second film’s writing.

In fact he was so involved that at one point, he reportedly overstuffed the first sequel with too much in the way of narrative. Speaking with Slashfilm, producers Frank Marshall and Patrick Crowley revealed that Trevorrow’s first script for the second film was just too jam-packed:

Marshall: “[When Trevorrow] came in, I think he’s been thinking about this since Jurassic World where we’re gonna go in 2 and 3. So it was just a question of how far we were gonna go in 2. So he kind of had it all sketched out. And basically from what I remember he brought a treatment in. I mean, I don’t think we sat down and talked to him about it.

Crowley: “Boy, it was interesting. Because without revealing too much of it, he wanted to go much further in the second one. And we all sort of looked at it and said, I don’t think everybody’s ready for that. Pull it back a little. It was just in terms of the length of the time of the storytelling. He had started here and went all the way to there.”

They revealed that part of the reason they got him to pull back and save stuff for the third film was to give more character development time to Chris Pratt’s Owen Grady and Bryce Dallas Howard’s Claire Dearing roles:

“Well we really felt we needed to spend time to get to know Chris and Bryce again. Where they’d been in three years. Because as you’ll see, there’s a big change in her. She’s realized that she made a mistake and that it was responsibility, not her fault, but she was part of what happened. So she’s now trying to make up for it. Trying to do better and Chris is pretty much still a loner on his own. Not wanting to deal with anything. So we had to set that up.”

Trevorrow is coming back to the director’s chair for the third film. Producers have also confirmed ‘Fallen Kingdom’ will have more animatronic dinosaurs than any sequel in the franchise and more sequences set within buildings, meaning characters will be in closer proximity to the dinosaurs “for a longer period of time than we’ve ever been.”

“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” opens in cinemas on June 22nd 2018.

Doctor Omega

“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” Reviews Are In

jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-reviews-are-in-696x464.jpg

With the World Cup set to distract much of the worldwide audience this month, Universal Pictures is going ahead with its dinosaur sequel “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” early in the UK and many European territories – opening it this Friday and a full two weeks ahead of everywhere else.

As a result, the review embargo on the film is breaking early and the first full reviews are out. The verdict? It’s not good, but more interesting is that said reviews aren’t so much uniformly mixed as quite divisive – some really like it, some hating it with the passion of a thousand suns.

As of time of writing the film holds a 65% & 6/10 on Rotten Tomatoes and a 53/100 on Metacritic, both scoring lower than the film’s predecessor (but only by a bit), even as many reviews suggest it’s better than “Jurassic World”. Here’s a sampling of reviews so far:

“J.A. Bayona’s Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom says goodbye to the park for good, not just carrying the de-extincted dinos off the island but freeing itself from the genre trappings of the previous four films…” – THR

“Despite some familiar echoes, Fallen Kingdom also takes big, brave, irreversible strides, deriving tantalising logical conclusions from Michael Crichton’s premise and setting up a brave new World for this trilogy’s final chapter…” – Empire

“The franchise’s latest entry takes its cues from the knuckleheaded plotting and CGI overload of Jurassic World, where super-sized dinos face dumb capitalists and bleeding-heart environmentalists toil to save the day. We all know the drill…” – Indiewire

“It all just hangs there like so much else in this movie, undeveloped concepts that could one day be turned into a genuinely exciting, surprising film. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is, sadly, not it…” – Village Voice

“In making even the most vicious creatures more than just hungry, hungry dinos, the aging franchise has rediscovered its inner child. And ours…” – The New York Post

“Maybe what Claire said in the first Jurassic World is right. Maybe we’ve just become so desensitized to seeing dinosaurs running around and eating people that we need something new and bigger to impress us. Unfortunately, [this] isn’t that…” – io9

“Its opening plays less like a scene from a Spielbergian classic, such as Jurassic Park or Jaws, and more like an effectively directed and higher budgeted sequence out of Jaws 3D…” – Den of Geek

“There is a little bit of the wonder and joy that made the original so special embedded deep within Fallen Kingdom, which I credit to Bayona, whose primary drive has always been to sprinkle just enough emotion into the stories he tells…” – Uproxx

“The new Jurassic World is a messy menagerie of dino-related quirks and twists, a boisterous but muddled franchise-iteration which reshuffles all the old constituent plot points…” – The Guardian

“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” opens in the United States and Australia on June 22nd.

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
Took my kid to see this and she enjoyed it but it's a mediocre film. There are good things, like the "Nosferatu moment" referenced above, lots of great shadow play and implied violence. Pretty good cgi. The brachiosaurs still look like cgi. I wish I hadn't already seen the first one about 20x because it makes me want to go watch it again.