Review Keeping Up Appearances

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
This series passed me by originally but have been going through it and it has some very funny episodes. Patricia Rutledge and Clive Swift are excellent as are the the rest of the cast really. Written by Roy 'Summer Wine' Clarke, so the escapades are beautifully put together and I particularly like it because the humour comes from the situations that Hyacinth has got herself tangled up in rather than just jokes.

chainsaw_metal1

I really tried to like this series. I don't know why, but Hyacinth just drives me up the wall. Everything else about the show is humorous, but she makes me want to punch babies. And it's not the actress, I've seen her in other things and thought her wonderful. But in this show? Can't do it, mate.

This is all, of course, only my humblest of opinions. :emoji_grin:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I really tried to like this series. I don't know why, but Hyacinth just drives me up the wall. Everything else about the show is humorous, but she makes me want to punch babies. And it's not the actress, I've seen her in other things and thought her wonderful. But in this show? Can't do it, mate.

This is all, of course, only my humblest of opinions. :emoji_grin:
I have to say that I agree absolutely with your assessment and opinion of the TV series, CSM.

The fact that she is not being constantly punched in the face by every other cast member is a situation that urgently needs to be redressed...

In my humble opinion. :emoji_wink:

michaellevenson

Interesting comments guys, but isn't wanting to throw things at the telly or punching babies what Roy Clarke wanted?
True Hyacinth is appalling but that's the paradoxical beauty of the show. Laugh at or with her or run away like Emmot next door screaming.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Interesting comments guys, but isn't wanting to throw things at the telly or punching babies what Roy Clarke wanted?
True Hyacinth is appalling but that's the paradoxical beauty of the show. Laugh at or with her or run away like Emmot next door screaming.
I have a third option to throwing things at the telly or punching babies - watching something else.

Roy Clarke has also been responsible for creating a couple of TV series that I am still very fond of, such as OPEN ALL HOURS and STILL OPEN ALL HOURS, so I have a couple of choices from his career as a writer to choose from.