Review Let's Talk about APES!

Discussion in 'Planet Of The Apes' started by Doctor Omega, May 10, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

comixology-hosting-huge-sale-planet-the-apes-comics-26.jpg

What is it about PLANET OF THE APES that you love?

And what are your favourite and/or least favourite bits, be it one of the films, or merchandise etc....

#1 Doctor Omega, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

I used to love the comics.....

Some of the cover art was a joy to behold....

This, from the Marvel adaption of Escape from the Planet of the Apes.....

3956295736_f634f78c92.jpg

#2 Doctor Omega, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

I love the sound of some of the crazier crossover titles, such as this....

30479.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

KING KONG RAMPAGES THROUGH THE PLANET OF THE APES IN NEW COMIC BOOK CROSSOVER

unnamed-1-720x1210.jpg

The two most popular ape-related franchises in pop culture are finally joining forces. Today BOOM! Studios revealed first details for Kong on the Planet of the Apes, a new comic book mini-series that pits King Kong against Planet of the Apes villain Dr. Zaius.

This six-issue mini-series will be written by Ryan Ferrier (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) and drawn by Carlos Magno (Kong of Skull Island). The series will feature covers by Magno, Mike Huddleston (The Coffin) and movie poster veteran Hans Woody.

Kong on the Planet of the Apes will take place shortly after the events of the original 1968 film. In the process of trying to cover up all traces of astronaut George Taylor's existence, Dr. Zaius and General Ursus will find themselves traveling to Skull Island and encountering the mightiest ape of them all.

“There's such a deep mythology to both properties, especially if you consider all of the amazing Kong and Apes comics that have come out in recent years,” said Ferrier in boom's press release. “With this series, we've found a coherent, meaningful way of having these two worlds and their legacies fold into each other. The implications of the Ape civilization discovering the Kong world are huge, and that's certainly on the forefront of the series.”

This is hardly the first time Boom has combined Planet of the Apes with other popular franchises. In recent years we've seen crossovers like Star/Trek/Planet of the Apes and Tarzan on the Planet of the Apes.

Look for Kong on the Planet of the Apes to debut in November 2017.

5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Beneath the Planet of the Apes is my favourite film of old and new.

Maybe because the plot is just a bit mad - and it had an audacious ending, a la Alien 3 and the tv show Blake's 7.

I love audacious endings. :emoji_alien:

6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

I have to say that I prefer the charm of the original movies over the undoubted technical excellence of the newer offerings, although these are proving to be really well-made movies in their own right. So I am in no way putting down RISE, DAWN or WAR,

But I have yet to quite be moved by the current movies in the same way as the affecting love story of Cornelius and Zira in the originals moved me.