Review Let's Talk About CRICKET!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by michaellevenson, Jul 11, 2017.

1. michaellevenson

michaellevenson Member: Rank 6

Any fans of this great game?
    There's a lot of interesting changes possibly coming, lots of questions are being asked, an exciting time for the sport.
    Will Test matches be reduced from five to four days?
    I hope not , it's a bad idea, and I can't see it working on the Sub Continent. You'd have to increase the number of overs in a day, to possibly 110 to compensate for the loss of a day and that's not really possible in ,say India, where it gets dark quickly. But then again the idea of using a pink ball and introductory day/ night cricket for Tests is a way out.
    Personally I'm happy with five days as it reduces results affected by rain. Also you would lose that unique fifth day pitch that spin bowlers cherish. Though in the recent England vs South Africa game the visitors collapsed on day four thanks to Moeen Ali's spin.
    Another topic is the future of ODI 50 over matches. Does it have a future now that twenty20 is taking over. This may sound crass , but why not reduce ODIs to 40 overs, Forty40, sounds marketable to me.
    Finally will The MCC plan for an English version of the IPL or Big Bash work? I'm a fan of the 18 county game, lots of history, and I'm sure some tweaking of the twenty20 Blast would work.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, I love cricket in all its various forms, from Twenty20, 50 over ODIs to full blown five day test matches. I can't say that I'm fond of the introduction of the pink ball - we've been doing just fine with the white ball in day / night ODIs for decades - but I suppose it's just a sign of the times.

I'm also a bit concerned about the industrial action currently taking place within Cricket Australia...

3. michaellevenson

OMG that could weaken the Aussie team for the Ashes, how sad! We English might win 5-0 , having said that we'll probably win anyway.

4. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, someone has to take pity on the piss-weak Poms... :emoji_wink:

Of course, if the strike isn't resolved, there'll be no competition, so everyone will lose.

5. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

I once watched an hour of cricket.

6. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

You're not the first of your gender or nationality to do so...

I once knew a couple of Dutch women who both loved cricket. Of course, they're both dead now.

But don't worry, it wasn't because of the cricket.

7. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

I would have died if I watched more...
    But I did sorta learn a few of the rules.

8. michaellevenson

I have in front of me now the top ten rankings;
    Batsmen Australia 2 Smith and Warner; England 2 Root and Bairstow; Bowlers Australia 1 Hazelwood England 2 Anderson and Broad; All rounders Australia 1Starc England 3 Ali, Stokes and Broad.
    To borrow a line from Arthur Dent " weak poms? this is obviously a strange use of 'weak' that I wasn't previously aware of"

9. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

What could you possibly have against a game as noble as cricket?! :emoji_astonished:

It's one of the most civilized past times known to Humankind... Where else can you find a sporting event that doesn't start until 11 in the morning, stops for lunch, afternoon tea and regular drink breaks? Where else can you find a sporting event that halts for rain and bad light? Where else can you find a sporting event that can take up to 5 days and still end in a draw or no result?

Of course, cricket wasn't always limited to just 5 days... :emoji_wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, as a cricket lover, I naturally gave a high regard and respect for statistics - as should all cricket lovers. However, we both know they are in a continual state of flux. At the end of the day, we're all only as good as our next game...

Oh and I didn't say, "weak poms", I said, "piss-weak poms"... :emoji_wink:

The last Ashes series was in the Mother country, but the next one - if it goes ahead - will be on our home ground. So I just hope you guys bring your best game with you. After all, it's no fun if we kick your arse too easily... :emoji_relaxed:

11. michaellevenson

There's many great moments in cricket , but also hilarious gaffes, this collection creases me up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. michaellevenson

At the other end of the scale is the amazing power and grace of Chris Gayle.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 6
    VIP

Speak for yourself. I always enjoy watching the poms get thrashed.

14. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

So do I mate.

However, the greater the battle, the sweeter the victory... :emoji_wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. michaellevenson

So the Ashes starts with a whimper really. Solid scoring from England but really slow.
    The Ashes is immune from the withering on the vine suffered by global test cricket, but many more days like this and it won't be. England have set out to draw this first game, so I can understand why as going 1-0 down away from home is fatal usually in the history of this series. Hope for more excitement tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 6
    VIP

I can understand the logic of playing for a draw as well but it doesn't say much for their confidence in their ability to win games. Test cricket is really struggling (despite being my preferred form of the game) and, although the ashes remain popular, play like this will continue the reduction in interest people have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. michaellevenson

This is a devilish wind up perpetrated by Johnathan Agnew on fellow commentator and cricket legend Geoffrey Boycott.
    A quick summary for those not familiar with cricket.
    Boycott one of the few players ever to score one hundred hundreds in first class games, internationals or club matches.
    First class means sanctioned by the governing body , and given proper recognition as an official game.
    During the Apartheid era of South Africa, SA were banned from international cricket, but Geoffrey Boycott was part of an England team against the Rest Of The World team that played five matches in England and included banned SA players.
    These matches were unofficial internationals ( test matches), but were still counted as first class official games. Boycott scored a hundred runs in one of the matches, contributing to his overall " hundred hundreds"
    Now apparently a press release from the ICC , the governing body has downgraded these matches to non first class status, meaning all records are scrapped, and any runs scored don't count towards individual player records. So Boycott 's famous 100th Hundred scored at his home ground in Leeds, which is commemorated was now his 99th!. That's the background, here's the wind up.

#17 michaellevenson, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  18. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 8

I am fascinated by the game (admittedly, mostly due to being a fan of the Fifth Doctor), and have attempted to watch videos about it online. The actual fundamentals elude me, but I think if I had the chance to watch a live match I would fully enjoy it.

19. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

There's nothing to it, mate.

In no time at all, you'll know all about leg breaks, googlies, topspinners, flippers, sliders, flicker balls, off breaks, doosras, teesras, bouncers, inswingers, outswingers, beamers and so forth. You'll also be able to tell the difference between silly point, silly mid-off and silly mid-on, not to mention short third man, fly slip, slips, leg slip, leg gully, square leg, backward square leg, fine leg, mid on, mid off and cow corner - just to name a few of the fielding positions.

And you'll be able to identify the twelfth man when you see him too! :emoji_wink:

Of course, the highlight of any cricket match is the sledging. A good example of this was when a chubby Indian player once came out to bat. An Australian player asked him why he was so fat, to which he immediately replied: "Because every time I fuck your wife she gives me a biscuit." Obviously, this was met with appreciation and approval by all present.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
  20. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 8

Oh, fantastic. I was worried that...
    Heh-heh...erm, yeah...

My head's already full of useless knowledge about comic books and horror movies. This may take a while. :emoji_grin:

• Like Like x 1