sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
I'm not a fan but I'd say Foo Fighters. "Classic" rock tempos are generally slower, and the beats are heavier, which is why you need a qualifier like "Classic" or "Heavy". I think 'punk' is closer to 'rock' than the 'leaning-towards-metal' bands of the 70s.

CoriSCapnSkip

Member: Rank 2
Posted on the Facebook page for Joan Baez, where someone was lamenting about keeping politics out of music and movies:

HeeeLLLOOOooo...whoever didn't get the Folk Music memo, News Flash: Folk Music IS by definition, if not always directly political, at least strongly associated with political and social issues. Joan Baez has been a folk singer since before I was born...and I'm really, really old. She was political by 1962 when she became active in Civil Rights causes and was interested before becoming active.

During the Vietnam War, (which lasted from before I was born until I was a teenager!) we were not allowed to play her albums within earshot of my father, who would scream about her political leanings, although the albums we had were all of traditional music either from other countries or from American sources dating from long before the war. After the war ended in 1975, one of us put on a Joan Baez album and Dad came charging in and yelled, as usual, "She was a traitor to her country!" My sister said, "Well, she was RIGHT, wasn't she?" Dad left the room and that's the last we ever heard about not playing Joan's music. I have continued collecting and playing it since!

Do you think Joan started political activism last week? She was doing this long before many people were alive! I, for one, am delighted to see her continuing the good (nonviolent) fight. From what she said following the 2016 election, I feared she planned to pack it all in to plant pansies.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I noticed this article the other day...

Basil Kirchin: The "Forgotten Genius of UK Music"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38688135

Basil Kirchin was a maverick musician and pioneering composer who is credited as a founding father of ambient music. Yet despite being hailed by acts such as Brian Eno and St Etienne, he remains an obscure figure. Now a festival in Hull is casting a light on a man regarded by many musicians as a genius.

I had never heard of him before. Then I realised, reading the article, that I had heard his music before on the film soundtrack of The Abominable Doctor Phibes with Vincent Price.

Such a sad tale, but at least the balance is being redressed now...

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
At least there is a Bowie song in there :)
But yeah, Dancing Queen is not something you'd expect on a rock list. Although, we have Bieber at a festival that used to be all rock and metal...

CoriSCapnSkip

An impostor friended me on Facebook. I left the above post on Joan Baez's Facebook page and immediately received a Friend request apparently from Joan herself which I accepted. I then received a Personal Message saying I had been specially selected for a chat with Joan which she was doing as a service of appreciation to her fans, and to feel free to text her anything and she would reply when she could. I composed a brief and polite reply and went off to do a number of other things. When I went back on Facebook today, my reply seemed to have been answered, but it was blocked because the account was under investigation. Someone reported it as an imposter (who I dubbed Clone Joan) and Facebook took immediate action. What's more when you friend someone, a "Suggest Friends" box comes up listing all your Friends! I have over 200 and must have sent links to this page to 10% of them! So I had to post a retraction on my page and try to tag all the friends to whom I sent suggestions the other day. Of course in Facebook you can't have a post and your Friends list open at the same time, and no possible way could I remember all those names, so I had to open my Friends list on my phone and scroll through it to tag everyone in the post on my computer.

I told my mom about this and she said, "Some people are pretty sick." I also told her I had no reason to disbelieve it really was Joan, as some other people who are quite well known have corresponded with or even friended me on Facebook and no one doubted they were who they said. Thank God someone was sharp enough to nip it in the bud before I wrote anything to really humiliate myself! Other than, of course, mentioning it on some forums and having to go post retractions there as well.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I love Joan Baez, and am glad she remains involved in political circles. Music - and art in general - has always been used as a medium to express all feelings and messages. Hearing you talk about your dad reminds me of the Trumpeters you see comments from on social media.

Doctor Omega

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39193367

George Michael died as a result of heart and liver disease, a coroner has confirmed.

The pop star suffered a dilated cardiomyopathy with myocarditis and fatty liver, according to Darren Salter, senior coroner for Oxfordshire.

The singer died aged 53 on Christmas Day at his home in Goring-on-Thames, Oxfordshire.

Because there was a "natural cause of death", the coroner said there was no need for an inquest.

The funeral had been put on hold while tests were carried out.

Thames Valley Police originally said his death was unexplained but not suspicious and an initial post-mortem examination was "inconclusive".

duzit

Member: Rank 6
Dr. O, thanks for the info. Another that was taken far to soon. I liked all of his work, both as Wham
and as a single performer. What a loss...

MIKEPR

Member: Rank 1
You maybe familiar with her if you've watched Teen Wolf. But she's also a singer and sings well.

But here's something I just learned.

She says "Everything I recorded you won't hear again.

Now why would any artist do that?

Now here's a couple of selections.

Adele Cover.

Original.

Doctor Omega

Paul started it.

Lennon finished it.

But who won musically?

Paul began with "Too Many People", which John took as a veiled criticism of his and Yoko's political activities.....

John responded with "How Did You Sleep", which was hardly veiled as an attack at all?

But, as songs, which one is better?

And why?

And how do you feel about them as a musical team - and about their fight in the first place?

Zelena

I vote John's song, but I liked Paul's. John was certainly a better songwriter, but not by such a whole lot, and if it wasn't for Paul and the boys, he probably would have ended up working his whole life in a fish canning factory in Liverpool, just a typical bitter, sarcastic, drunk asshole at the corner pub -- rather than a famous and talented bitter, sarcastic drunk asshole. Any pair of friends that goes through what all they went through were bound to quarrel some and go their separate ways. Seems more like they had a pretty good run.

Doctor Omega

Architect of his own downfall?

Or badly treated by television bosses?

Cyril Nicholas Henty-Dodd (28 July 1935 – 29 August 2009), better known by his stage name Simon Dee, was a British television interviewer and radio disc jockey who hosted a twice-weekly BBC TV chat show, Dee Time, in the late 1960s. After moving to London Weekend Television (LWT) in 1970, he was dropped and his career never recovered.

He died of bone cancer in 2009.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

In the 1970's George Harrison lost a court case brought against him by the Chiffons, who claimed that his song "My Sweet Lord" had plagiarised their song "He's So Fine".

“I wasn’t consciously aware of the similarity between ‘He’s So Fine’ and ‘My Sweet Lord’ when I wrote the song, as it was more improvised and not so fixed,” Harrison wrote in his autobiography I Me Mine.

“Although when my version of the song came out and started to get a lot of airplay, people started talking about it, and it was then I thought, ‘Why didn’t I realize?’ It would have been very easy to change a note here or there, and not affect the feeling of the record.”

Judge Owen, who analyzed the music of both songs, heard testimony by Harrison and expert witnesses from both sides. The judge ruled that:

“it is perfectly obvious to the listener that in musical terms, the two songs are virtually identical.”

The judge found that:

Harrison “subconsciously” plagiarized “He’s So Fine.”

The judge continued his summing up:

“Did Harrison deliberately use the music of ‘He’s So Fine’? I do not believe he did so deliberately,” he said. “Nevertheless, it is clear that ‘My Sweet Lord’ is the very same song as ‘He’s So Fine’ with different words, and Harrison had access to ‘He’s So Fine.’ This is, under the law, infringement of copyright, and is no less so even though subconsciously accomplished.”

But do you agree with the judge's verdict?

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Paul wrote better melodies but John had the more interesting lyrics. Hence why the Beatles fizzed bright for eight solid years. Of these two songs, I prefer Too many people.

John was definitely more prone to dickishness.