Fun Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
star-trek-deep-space-nine.jpg

Please feel free to post general DEEP SPACE NINE messages here; the Quark's Bar of threads....

Last edited:

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Love all Trek but I genuinely think DS9 is the jewel in the franchise crown. More complex, darker themes and the show that really went with a strong ongoing narrative rather than the usual episodic stuff. The huge cast was so rich and disparate that even a non regular character like Garak was allowed an opportunity to develop and grow.

I hope Discovery attempts to emulate it.

Hux

I'm doing a DS9 re-watch (the 43rd one I think) on Netflix and will be sporadically giving my thoughts on the episodes as I go through them on this thread. I might skip some episodes or just give a brief mention.

Gotta say I'm not a huge fan of the pilot (Emissary) but it sets things up okay.

Past Prologue - Totally forgot this one. It wasn't bad.
A Man Alone - Likewise, not too bad.
Babel - Fun with language.
Captive Pursuit - O'Brien's first real outing. Nothing too original going on though. First encounter with a Gamma quadrant species, I believe.
Q-Less - never a big fan of Q. This was pretty forgettable
Dax - A good episode but you're honestly telling me that Trill society never explored the ethics of a host committing a crime and the symbiont complicity or lack thereof? Unlikely. The wonderful Fionulla Flanagan guests stars too.

Couple of things I picked up on in these early episodes. One is the fact that Rom doesn't sound anything like Rom at all yet and two, Keiko is such a sour faced bitch. Lighten the fuck up, love.

To be continued...

Gavin

VIP
The early episodes of DS9 were a bit hit and miss. Writers and cast still finding their way. There is still some good stuff in there even in the most forgettable episodes. And as far as Q goes, I didn't mind him in TNG and thought he was a waste of space in DS9 and Voyager. The only good thing about Q-Less was Sisko punching Q in the face.

Hux

I actually liked Q in Voyager. He developed a sense of humour.

I don't remember him being in DS9 after Q-less

The Passenger - standard body swap stuff. Yawn.
Move Along Home - allamaraine count to four, this episode is just so poor. No really, this is one of the worst.
The Negus - never liked the Ferengi but DS9 did almost change that. This one was forgettable though.
Vortex - kinda interesting. The first mention of the "changelings" but pretty standard stuff.
Battle Lines - interesting idea but fairly bland. Mike Ehrmantraut guest stars.
Progress - not bad. Story about a Bajoran refusing to leave his home.
If Wishes Were Horses - this is terrible. At first, you think something interesting is going on but then it's just... passing aliens. Sigh, okay fine. I guess we can just ignore this one.

Hux

The Forsaken - Lwaxana comedy episode. Not very memorable
Dramatis Personae - A Star Trek episode where everyone starts acting strange. Well I never. One of those episodes where only the main crew are noticeably affected despite it being station wide. Not great.
Duet - Finally, we get an excellent episode. Here''s the thing with DS9. It's best episodes were generally the more political ones and while this story (war crimes) isnt new to the franchise and would be regurgitated again in Voyager, it's brilliantly done. This kind of dark, political stuff is what made DS9 so good. Harris Yulin is very good as the guilty Cardassian.
In The Hands of the Prophets - Another good one. Louise Fletcher is so utterly convincing as the hateful zealot, Kai Winn. It really is impossible not to love hating her.

That completes season one.

Duet is the stand-out episode.

Doctor Omega

New Details About The ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ Documentary Have Been Revealed

Header01.jpg

‘Star Trek’ has seen several incarnations of the franchise as TV shows with widely varying themes and focuses, but no series seems to prove more divisive to fans, in terms of what was presented on-screen and how it was received by viewers, than ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.’ (You come close, ‘Enterprise,’ and ‘Discovery’ seems like its going to do its best to contend for the title.)

To coincide with the 25th anniversary of the premiere of ‘Deep Space Nine,’ several of the show’s creative team are reuniting for a new documentary, entitled ‘What We Left Behind’ (a take on the title of the final episode of the series, ‘What You Leave Behind’). At the Star Trek Las Vegas convention, documentary director Adam Nimoy spoke about how the work on the project is progressing:

“We have a theme and we have a point of view, and we have a lot of discussion with [DS9 Executive Producer] Ira [Steven Behr] to try to distill what we want to say.”

Behr himself also spoke at the convention about his part in the documentary-making process, including the experience of getting the writers back in the same room to discuss at length a “hypothetical” new episode for the show, that would have followed the series finale of the seventh season:

“It was an unbelievable 6-7 hours being together, it was like the years just melted away… You’re going to see the pure first thought, best thought, you’re going to see people arguing.”

Behr also took some time to thank the “powers that be” that the internet as we know it to day didn’t exist in DS9’s prime:

“Thank God there was no [modern] Internet when we were doing ‘Deep Space Nine’ because the negativity would have been so overwhelming. [DS9 was] a show that lived its whole life not only in the semi-darkness of the franchise, but also being told constantly that it was a dark show with dark themes, but it’s really a show about love and family.”

There is no official release date for the documentary as of yet, but Nimoy and crew hope to have it finished and ready for release sometime in 2018.

Doctor Omega

PETER CAPALDI AUDITIONED FOR CAPTAIN SISKO ON DEEP SPACE NINE

g2ck3wz2zfboephhtezv.jpg

Set your phasers to stunned. Early audition documents and footage have revealed that Peter Capaldi, Doctor Who himself, once tried out for the role of Commander (later Captain) Benjamin Sisko on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. And he’s not the only one.

Twitter account trekdocs recently dug up a UK casting session document from July 1992 for Deep Space Nine. Among the actors who auditioned that day were none other than Capaldi, who later became the 12th Doctor on Doctor Who, as well as Anthony Stewart Head, who you might know better as Rupert Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. What.

The official Twitter account for the upcoming Deep Space Nine documentary, What We Left Behind, confirmed that both Capaldi and Head tried out for the part by posting images from their audition videos.

https://twitter.com/DS9Doc/status/905855416155881472/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fio9.gizmodo.com%2Fajax%2Finset%2Fiframe%3Fid%3Dtwitter-905855416155881472%26autosize%3D1

Doctor Omega

This is one marathon of viewing where I might have some pause.

The thing that always deterred me from this show is that it seems to be stuck in one place a lot of the time, certainly in the earlier seasons. Added to that, all the politics and mystical religion.....

I prefer the prospect of having VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE marathons. This one, I am less keen on...

But I will still watch it one day. Every episode. :emoji_alien:

Gavin

VIP
This is one marathon of viewing where I might have some pause.

The thing that always deterred me from this show is that it seems to be stuck in one place a lot of the time, certainly in the earlier seasons. Added to that, all the politics and mystical religion.....

I prefer the prospect of having VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE marathons. This one, I am less keen on...

But I will still watch it one day. Every episode. :emoji_alien:
It's worth watching once you persevere through the worst of the early episodes. It remains my favourite ST series and I'm rewatching it again now (in between episodes of Enterprise, Game of Thrones, Daredevil and the IT Crowd).

Doctor Omega

Nimoy Departs “Star Trek: DS9” Doco

nimoy-departs-star-trek-ds9-doco-696x464.jpg

The upcoming “What We Left Behind,” the crowdfunded documentary on the history and impact of “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” has hit a stumbling block.

Adam Nimoy, son of Leonard Nimoy, has stepped down from the director’s chair on the project to “order to focus on personal commitments and other creative endeavours”. In a statement included in the project’s most recent update, Nimoy says:

“The real creative force behind the DS9 documentary was well in place before I came along. I was happy to lend them support and guidance to push the project along so that it could be completed in time for the 25th anniversary of the show which is coming up in 2018. I wish the creative team all good things as they Boldly Go!”

Nimoy will remain as part of the team as producer and advisor, David Zappone and original DS9 executive producer Ira Steven Behr will co-direct the film in its final stages. The film won’t make its previously targeted February 2018 release but those involved are still aiming for a release in the first half of 2018.