Fun Star Trek: Voyager

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0.jpg

Star Trek: Voyager is a science fiction television series set in the Star Trek universe that debuted in 1995[3] and ended its original run in 2001, with a classic "ship in space" formula like the preceding Star Trek: The Original Series (TOS) and Star Trek: The Next Generation (TNG).

The series takes place during the years 2371 to 2378. It follows the adventures of the Starfleet vessel USS Voyager, which becomes stranded in the Delta Quadrant (on the far side of the Milky Way galaxy, 70,000 light-years from Earth) while searching for a renegade Maquis ship.[4] Voyager has to make the estimated 75-year journey home.

The series was created by Rick Berman, Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor, and is the fifth incarnation of Star Trek, which began with the original Star Trek series that was created by Gene Roddenberry. Voyager was produced for seven seasons, from 1995 to 2001, and is the first Star Trek TV series with a female captain, Kathryn Janeway (played by Kate Mulgrew), as the lead character. Berman served as head executive producer in charge of the overall production for the series during its entire run. He was assisted by a second in command executive producer who generally functioned as the day-to-day showrunner. Four were used throughout the series' run: Michael Piller (EP/showrunner – first and second season), Jeri Taylor (EP – first through fourth seasons, showrunner – third and fourth seasons), Brannon Braga (EP/showrunner – fifth and sixth seasons), and Kenneth Biller (EP/showrunner – seventh season). Star Trek: Voyager aired on UPN and was the network's second-longest-running series. UPN itself would end its production run in 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1PX9E2RsgU

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I've been a Trekkie for life, and yet, I was never able to get into Voyager or DS9. I really tried, and there are some episodes of each I really like, but overall, I really don't care for either series.

Also in a weird vein, I'm one of only like five Trek fans who really liked Enterprise.

Doctor Omega

I can top you there. I really LIKED the last episode of Enterprise! I thought it was a nice wrap up for the Berman era of Trek. It seems compulsory to hate it though, although I can understand why people thought that the focus should be on Archer and co and not Riker and Troi!

chainsaw_metal1

I can top you there. I really LIKED the last episode of Enterprise! I thought it was a nice wrap up for the Berman era of Trek. It seems compulsory to hate it though, although I can understand why people thought that the focus should be on Archer and co and not Riker and Troi!
I thought is was a great episode! When I saw so many people complaining about it online, it confused me. But I can understand their point, but for me, it was a prefect ending.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
I loved Voyager and I'm watching it with my kid right now. The best episodes were the Q ones and the Borgs, definetly. I didn't saw Startrek Enterprise since I don't know if it's any good.

I started watching DS9 but I got so bored of the political maquinations, a good friend of mine recommended that I stick with it since it will turn better after 3th season.

Still, of all the Trek series, even though I loved next generation, Voyager is what i loved the most. NG was too serious sometimes, I couldn't stand number one, he was always furious about something, Voyager is more relaxed even though some of the chapters are silly.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Is there any way to create a Trek section where each show gets its own board?

Clearly, we don't need 40s, 50s classic TV boards etc. Many of those IMDb boards weren't even used on IMDb.

Doctor Omega

Yes, I too liked Voyager more than DS9, if only because they were actually going somewhere, if only back home and it was also nice to have "adventure of the week" a lot of the time, so that you did not need to be committed to some convoluted arc.

I thought Janeway was an excellent Captain too.

DS9 just didn't seem as much fun i.m.o.

I liked Next Gen too, even the wobbly start, because at least those episodes were wild and odd in places, until it settled down into a safer, more formulaic show.

Enterprise, I only watched the pilot and wasn't impressed.

Later I watched the fourth season and enjoyed it, but have not seen the vast majority of the early seasons. I really think they should leave prequels alone now. Let's move on to the 25th century. I am sure that Rodenberry would have.

Sadly, with Discovery announced as another prequel, set ten years before Kirk, I am not optimistic. :(

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
And we would still left with a BIG question mark after Voyager. What happened to all that fancy Borg & Delta Quadrant technology Janeway & team took home?

Why would they refuse to continue the Trek word after Janeway is beyond me.. I'm so TIRED of prequels.

Doctor Omega

Good point about the technology!

Yes, prequels are such a timid choice and mess up the continuity for those who care.

I think Discovery may be doomed before it starts.

The Reboot movie timeline, with it's destroyed Vulcan etc, should, I feel, be abandoned and get back to a post Nemesis future in a brand new series.

Maybe setting it 100 years after Berman's Trek is a bit harsh, on reflection.

Nemesis was made in 2002, so, if a new series was set fifteen years after Nemesis, then you could have a brand new crew(s) and also allow for rating-boosting guest appearances from characters from Next Gen, DS9, and Voyager, with no need for old age make up. And at least it wouldn't be a prequel. :)

chainsaw_metal1

I feel like a bad Trek fan for not liking Voyager more. Like, I dig Janeway as a captain, and there are characters I really think are interesting. But overall, I just can't commit to the show. Maybe someday...

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I feel like a bad Trek fan for not liking Voyager more. Like, I dig Janeway as a captain, and there are characters I really think are interesting. But overall, I just can't commit to the show. Maybe someday...
I've always liked STAR TREK - VOYAGER. For me, it seems to incorporate elements from the three previous TV series as well as adding something new. I've never understood the dislike for it amongst some Trekkers.

I'm a STAR TREK fan and the only thing that really annoys me is this inability of some - in both the fan community and the production companies - to see past Kirk, Spock and McCoy. I loved those guys, but their time has been and gone. It's time to boldly go where no Trekker has been before...

chainsaw_metal1

I think for most fans is that thought that with Kirk, Spock and McCoy, you have the nostalgia effect. However, I do agree with you that we need to look past that nostalgia and explore the rest of the ST universe. And in your honor, I'll give Voyager another shot. I owe it to Trekkers everywhere.

ant-mac

I think for most fans is that thought that with Kirk, Spock and McCoy, you have the nostalgia effect. However, I do agree with you that we need to look past that nostalgia and explore the rest of the ST universe. And in your honor, I'll give Voyager another shot. I owe it to Trekkers everywhere.
Don't do it for me, mate. Do it for yourself.

It's a good TV series.

Hux

You might need to be a real Voyager fan for this (as I am) but anyway...

We know from the OS that the Eugenics wars happened in the 1990s but obviously that can't be the case (if we want the Trek universe to be our universe) so how do you resolve the problem?

Simple. When Janeway et al went to the mid 90s in Future's End, their presence in that time altered the timeline meaning that the Eugenics wars never happened and were pushed back to a later date (like Terminator Judgment Day).

The DS9 episode "Doctor Bashir, I Presume" mentions that the Eugenics Wars happened in the 22nd century. Ron Moore says that was an honest writing mistake but it works for me as an explanation.

Thoughts?

MartyMoose

Member: Rank 1
As much as we'd like our future to be like Trek's it just can't ... It's always been a nice allegory of current times, and nobody wants an actual Eugenics anything in our reality

And with the new Trek and Albino Khan, who knows what the heck happened there

Hux

What are your thoughts on this character? I never hated her but equally she wasn't very compelling and it was a mistake putting her in a relationship with the ship's pet fool, Neelix. I have to say, the Seven character was significantly more interesting and they were right to bring Jeri Ryan in.

Rumour has it, they were originally going to get rid of Harry Kim but Garret Wang was voted sexiest man in People magazine or something so the axe fell on Jenifer Lien instead. Lien's life apparently took a turn for the worse after that and she's still not in a great place personally.

Frankly, I think Kes had potential and they should have got rid of Neelix.

ant-mac

I had nothing against her, but I was very pleased when she was basically replaced by Seven-of-Nine.

She was simply too bland for my tastes.

However, I thought her return in FURY was very well handled.