Review Listen (2014)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
So, once more with this episode - while Andrew Cartmel had years before wanted to make the Doctor more mysterious - Moffat wanted to show that this Clara person had influenced the course of his entire life and shaped his entire character, (even down to facing his fears and what Tardis to steal) - and that was on top of being splintered throughout his whole timestream.... :emoji_confounded:

No wonder fans called the show "Clara Who" by this point.....

d6173b83ac3e16e9e03223fba9191258--the-doors-the-times.jpg

ClaraHoldsLeg.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I remember seeing Colin sat at a convention as saying to the audience that if they understood what that thing was under the blanket in LISTEN, could they please send the answer on a postcard to him.

Peter Purves agreed with him that the plots were far too complex for him to follow these days.

Mind you Peter also said that Hartnell would have HATED New Who, but loved BIG FINISH. By that I think he meant the pace of storytelling as opposed to the repertory/radio days like feel of working at BIG FINISH, which I guess a healthy and alive Hartnell would have taken to like a duck to water.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I agree with you, there’s too much of Clara playing “mommy” to the Doctor. And I didn’t appreciate the fake-out with Orson either. But I remember a couple of people on IMDB defending this episode when I complained about it, so Clara as nanny clearly didn’t bother everybody. I also objected to visiting the Doctor as a child, because he’s supposed to be mysterious, and one of the posters said I should have sent the writer my rulebook for Doctor Who.