Looking for: Japanese Film in Another Country

cinema

Member: Rank 1
Hi, Asian Cinema forum!

This is the kind of question that required IMDb but they announced their closure so I knew I was too late. I hope those of you here will be able to help me.

Do you know of Japanese films/productions about Japanese people in another country? For instance, "Lost in Translation" is about Americans in Japan. Is there a reverse of that? Such as: Japanese people in England?

Arigato :D

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
There were a couple of Japanese productions carried out in Australia in the late 1968 (neither of which I've actually seen). Moeru tairiku dealt with Japanese people living in Australia, not sure whether Koya no toseinin was anything more than a desert setting.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
About Love [2005] • Japan, Taiwan, China
Shanghai

* Director: Yibai Zhang
* Writer: Wei Shen
* Cast: Lu Lu - Yun; Takashi Tsukamoto - Shuhei

A young Japanese student lives on the second floor of a general store in Shanghai. The landlady's daughter falls in love with him at first sight, but he is still filled with thoughts of his sweetheart in Japan...

Taipei

* Director: Chin-yen Yee
* Writer: Chin-yen Yee
* Cast: Mavis Fan - A-Su; Ryo Kase - Tecchan

A newcomer from Japan in Taipei who eagerly hopes for a one-night-stand receives a call from a local girl for help. He speeds to her place only to find that his task is merely to help A-Su assmemble a bookshelf...

Tokyo

* Director: Ten Shimoyama
* Writer: Yuji Yamamura, Haruko Nagatsu
* Cast: Bo-lin Chen - Yao; Yui Ichikawa - Yuka; Misaki Ito - Michiko; Ren Osugi - Shop owner; Rui Yang - Min

A Taiwanese student in Japan yearns to become a successful digital cartoonist. One day he passes by a heartbroken young graphic artist who possesses a quality that intrigues him...

In each vignette, a foreigner and a resident, both in their twenties, try to transgress cultural and language barriers and explore something 'About Love'.

Last edited:

sitenoise

Kamome Diner (Kamome shokudo) [2006] • Finland, Japan

A slice of life about a Japanese woman who opens a diner in Finland. She meets a couple people (the other two Japanese people in Finland?) and they come to work for her, but not much else happens. It's slow and inviting and very pleasant. I loved every minute of it except those involving a drunk older lady who tries to be the film's drama point.

Last edited:

cinema

Thanks a lot, everyone. I totally adore "About Love" and "Kamome Diner" which is why I wanted more. I will check out the other recommendations I got. I hope there are more out there. It's so interesting to see another culture's take on, well, another culture!

Last edited:

BuX

Hi, Asian Cinema forum!

This is the kind of question that required IMDb but they announced their closure so I knew I was too late. I hope those of you here will be able to help me.

Do you know of Japanese films/productions about Japanese people in another country? For instance, "Lost in Translation" is about Americans in Japan. Is there a reverse of that? Such as: Japanese people in England?

Arigato :D
Check out the film Sake-Bomb.

clayton-12

Picture Bride (Kayo Hatta, 1994) wasn't exactly a Japanese production, but it's possibly something along the lines of what you were after.

clayton-12

Hey @cinema ... if you're still out there somewhere, I was reading something and came across a reference to Tasmania Story (Yasuo Furuhata, 1990) - don't know how available it is these days, but it might be one to add to the list.

plsletitrain

I just read about this but I'm sure I can't find a copy of this so I'll just add this to my self-pity emo drama of lack of access to indie films in my world:

A Japanese man in a nothern province in the Philippines: Tanabata's wife