Review M*A*S*H (1972)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Post your thoughts and feelings about the greatest sitcom* of all time!

* Scientifically proven fact, non-debatable. So it is written, so it shall be done. :p

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Many happy thoughts, many celebratory feelings about one of the very best series ever - a bit freaked about the Chainsaw bit to be honest - more of a righteous spatula woman myself - but for me, yes, Hawkeye is up there with the Doctor, Trevor Chaplain, Ross Poldark and Harry Pearce (for starters): top blokes all and happy to know them!

Carol

I liked Klinger better when he was trying to get a section 8.
Agree totally, but Max was too smart to keep it up forever (he might finally have succeeded in wearing Henry down though...). But I get it that, back then, Jamie Farr didn't want his kids to be bullied at school because their dad was on TV in a frock.
What for you was his best Section 8 stunt? I'm torn between the camel and the pole-sitting stunts...

Carol

Not after they have me over to babysit....

Sorry Seeker - been meaning to compliment your Queen avatar - have many Brownie points for good taste

chainsaw_metal1

Both AMC and Sundance have been showing MASH lately, with Sundance doing a recent 48 hour marathon. Re-watching many of these episodes has reaffirmed what I've always believed, which was that Charles is a really great character. I loved Frank Burns, but he was a one trick pony. There wasn't anything else they could have done with him, which of course led to Larry Linville leaving the show. There was no room for growth or sympathy with Frank, and had he stayed, the character would have dragged the show down.

Charles, on the other hand, was brilliant. Yes, even up until the end he was a narcissist, a boor, and had a superiority complex. But then we get some truly moving moments with the man. The episode where threatens the CO of a man with a stutter, only to find out his sister is a stutterer. The Christmas episode where he gives the candy to the orphanage. The moment between Charles and Hawkeye where he tells him that "where I had a father, you had a dad". And even in the finale when he shows his pain at the death of the musician. And let's not forget his first appearance, when he sneaks the snake that Hawk and BJ put in his bed back into Hawkeye's. No matter how bad those two dished it out, he could always give it right back.

Carol

And I will always love the fact that, while it was always such a well-balanced ensemble show, in Hotlips it had a hugely under-praised leading lady from beginning to end. Lots of regular nurses, occasional girlfriends and (I think) the odd nun passing through, but - although I know it's a bit of a cliche, Margaret's whole journey is a bit gobsmacking. Top blonde (and that's coming from a redhead).

Carol

Ta gladly for the like, Chainsaw. Totally agree about Charles - he was initially a pompous Bostonian prat, redeemed by interesting plot developments. (Last one I saw repeated was Charles acting as Klinger's flunky to repay a timely rescue, finally shredding a pulp thriller in defiance of his indebtedness. The jury may be out, but I am forever Team Klinger.

As for Frank, a pillock well-spurned?

chainsaw_metal1

As for Frank, a pillock well-spurned?
Indeed. They had, within just the first season, pretty much cemented his character. One of those cases where a little knowledge can be very dangerous. What he lacked in medical skills, he thought he made up for with bravado. No common sense, but rather over zealous in patriotism and religious fervor. I'm reminded of the episode where he wanted to report a patient because he found out the lad was gay, but had no problem continually cheating on his wife with Hot Lips (and, as he revealed when he had the flu, his assistant back home). Could they have tried early on to give him more character development? Sure, but as the show was structured, they needed him like that as a foil for Hawkeye and Trapper.

I do feel bad for Larry Linville, because he grew to really hate playing the character. And others in the cast said it was cruel, because he was a really great guy, then they had to spend their time on the show being so horrible to him. And then after leaving, he never did attain any role that matched the popularity he had on MASH. He did, at least, have a good career in theatre, so that's a win for him.

The jury may be out, but I am forever Team Klinger.
Klinger was a wonderful character. I hated what they did to him in AFTER MASH, having him wind up in legal trouble right after getting home from Korea.

chainsaw_metal1

I believe you can still watch them all on YouTube, but the quality is shit. It wasn't a terrible series, but when you follow up a show as brilliant as MASH, you have to do better than they did.

chainsaw_metal1

Thanks, I'll give that a go and report back sometime - from what you're saying it probably doesn't deserve its own thread!
Only if we were to discuss it as an oddity, or in conjunction with the original series, and how it could have been better. The premise was good, but the execution was less than stellar.

I still think the saddest character was a patient at the VA hospital that Potter was working at. He had served with Potter in WWI, and had been in the hospital ever since because of exposure to mustard gas. The thought that this young boy went off to war and then spent the rest of his life in a hospital because of that war just makes me want to weep (yeah, I know, stupid liberals and our stupid thinking).

Carol

A hundred years ago this year my grandad fought at the Battle of Ypres - was gassed and caught enough shrapnel to give him life-altering injuries (as they didn't say back then). So no, petal, not stupid at all... and what's wrong with being liberal anyway? Liberation and liberality are also fine by me.
Anyway he made it back, married my grandma and the rest is family history, so considerably happier than that MASH story.

chainsaw_metal1

I've been told that I can be too liberal. Like, after five or six Jack & Cokes, I get a little too liberal with the Jack.

Not really a problem, but as I've found out, once you hit your forties, it's awfully hard to bounce back the next day like one did when they were 19.

Carol

Ah yes, the mixed drink featuring bubbles - treacherous stuff, just like the ice cubes - that's why I take my scotch neat. British beer, of course, strives to avoid the bubble problem altogether and usually succeeds.