Review Magnum P.I. (2018)

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
The only chance of a new Magnum P.I. series working is if they make it a continuation set 30 years after the original and get Tom Selleck (and his moustache) back. The original show, while fun, was really only a hit because of the charm of it's lead actor.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
CBS has handed out TV pilot orders for reboots of iconic 1980s franchises “Magnum P.I.” and “Cagney and Lacey,” two of six new pilots ordered by the CBS network for the Fall 2018 TV season.

The new “Magnum P.I.” changes the character of Higgins, played by John Hillerman in the original, into a disavowed female MI6 agent. The original starred Tom Selleck as a former Navy SEAL who now runs a PI frim from the guest house of a Hawaiian beachfront estate.

The new take explores the brotherhood forged by the trauma of combat, what it means to return home an ex-soldier, and a commitment to continuing to serve while in the private sector.

“Hawaii Five-O” duo Peter Lenkov and Eric Guggenheim will executive produce for CBS TV Studios and Universal TV. Selleck has reportedly given his blessing, but will not be involved.

Meanwhile “Cagney and Lacey” will, like the 1980s original, follow two female police detectives in Los Angeles. Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless co-starred in the original, while the new take will be produced by CBS TV Studios and MGM Television.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
The new “Magnum P.I.” changes the character of Higgins, played by John Hillerman in the original, into a disavowed female MI6 agent. The original starred Tom Selleck as a former Navy SEAL who now runs a PI frim from the guest house of a Hawaiian beachfront estate.

The new take explores the brotherhood forged by the trauma of combat, what it means to return home an ex-soldier, and a commitment to continuing to serve while in the private sector.
Still not doing anything for me. May or may not be a good show but it doesn't sound like Magnum PI to me.

Doctor Omega

Justin Lin To Direct “Magnum P.I.” Reboot

Justin Lin (“Fast Five”) will direct the pilot for CBS’ “Magnum P.I.” reboot from CBS TV Studios and Universal TV Studios.

Co-written by “Hawaii Five-0” showrunners Peter Lenkov and Eric Guggenheim, the reboot of the classic 1980s Tom Selleck series features the same central quartet of characters as the original but disavowed MI6 agent Higgins has been gender-swapped and will now be a female role.

Magnum takes on the cases no one else will, helping those who have no one else to turn to. It will also explore the idea of a brotherhood forged by the trauma of combat and what it means to return home an ex-soldier working in the private sector.

Lin, John Davis and Danielle Woodrow will also executive produce. Lin has previously helmed the pilots for CBS’ “S.W.A.T.” and “Scorpion”.

Doctor Omega

Jay Hernandez Is The New “Magnum P.I.”

jay-hernandez-is-the-new-magnum-p-i-696x464.jpg

Jay Hernandez (“Suicide Squad,” “Bright”) has been tapped to play the lead role of Thomas Magnum in CBS’ drama pilot reboot of the iconic 1980s action series “Magnum P.I.”.

CBS wanted to add a twist to the classic character played by Tom Selleck in the original. This has included making former MI:6 agent Higgins a woman and now Magnum himself won’t be a moustached hairy caucasian.

In the new take, Hernandez’s Thomas Magnum is a decorated ex-Navy SEAL who, upon returning home to Hawaii from Afghanistan, repurposes his military skills to become a private investigator.

With help from fellow vets Theodore ‘TC’ Calvin and Orville ‘Rick’ Wright, and Higgins, Magnum takes on the cases no one else will and helps those who have no one else to turn to.

Peter Lenkov, Davis Entertainment, CBS TV Studios and Universal TV Studios will produce. Lenkov and Eric Guggenheim penned the pilot with Justin Lin set to direct, and all three will executive produce alongside Danielle Woodrow, John Davis and John Fox.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Perdita Weeks Is Higgins In “Magnum P.I.”

perdita-weeks-is-higgins-in-magnum-p-i-696x464.jpg

British actress Perdita Weeks (“Penny Dreadful,” “Grantchester”) has been cast as Higgins in the “Magnum P.I.” pilot for CBS TV Studios and Universal TV Studios.

The new series follows Thomas Magnum (Jay Hernandez), a decorated ex-Navy SEAL who, upon returning home from Afghanistan, repurposes his military skills to become a private investigator.

With help from two fellow vets and disavowed former MI-6 agent Juliet Higgins, Magnum takes on the cases no one else will, helping those who have no one else to turn to.

Higgins, a man in the original and a female in the new take, is the property manager for the large Hawaiian estate of writer Robin Masters, for whom Magnum ostensibly works security and lives in his guest house. Justin Lin and Danielle Woodrow executive produce.

The original Higgins...

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Zachary Knighton Joins “Magnum P.I.” Reboot

zachary-knighton-joins-magnum-p-i-reboot-696x464.jpg

Zachary Knighton (“Happy Endings,” “The Hitcher”) has scored the major role of Rick Wright in the “Magnum P.I.” reboot at CBS.

Jay Hernandez takes on the role of Thomas Magnum, a decorated ex-Navy SEAL who, upon returning home from Afghanistan, repurposes his military skills to become a private investigator.

Knighton plays Orville ‘Rick’ Wright, one of two fellow vets who help him along with disavowed former MI-6 agent Juliet Higgins (Perdita Weeks). Rick is a former door gunner with the Marines and now runs Oahu’s coolest nightclub. He’s also a well-connected enabler.

The key fourth lead role, the other veteran Theodore ‘TC’ Calvin, has yet to be cast. Peter Lenkov and Eric Guggenheim are penning and executive producing while Justin Lin, Danielle Woodrow, John Davis and John Fox will also serve as executive producers.

The original Rick.....

Doctor Omega

Stephen Hill Cast In The “Magnum P.I.” Pilot

stephen-hill-cast-in-the-magnum-pi-pilot-696x464.jpg

Stephen Hill (“Luke Cage,” “Lewis & Clark”) has scored the final key regular role in the upcoming “Magnum P.I.” pilot on CBS.

The reboot of the classic 1980s Tom Selleck series sees Jay Hernandez taking on the role of Thomas Magnum, a decorated ex-Navy SEAL who, upon returning home from Afghanistan, repurposes his military skills to become a private investigator.

The show will feature the same central quartet of characters as the original with Jay Hernandez as Magnum, Perdita Weeks as disavowed MI6 spy Juliet Higgins, and Zachary Knighton as Magnum’s old Marines pal Orville ‘Rick’ Wright.

Hill will play Theodore ‘TC’ Calvin, a former Marine Corps chopper pilot who runs the smallest but best helicopter tour business in Hawaii. He’s also one of Magnum’s group of loyal friends who bonded when they were all POWs in Iraq.

Lenkov and Eric Guggenheim co-wrote the project which will be directed by Justin Lin. Peter Lenkov, Davis Entertainment, CBS TV Studios and Universal TV Studios are producing.

Doctor Omega

Magnum P.I.
“The Hangover” star Ken Jeong and action legend Carl Weathers will guest star on the first season of CBS’ “Magnum P.I.” reboot. Jeong plays Lee Ji-Won, a local old-school private investigator who plays poker with Magnum (Jay Hernandez).

Weathers is Dan, an old-school Marine with integrity who is struggling to pay his bills as a fisherman and asks Magnum for help finding a 350-pound tuna he caught that was been stolen. The new series premieres September 24th.

Doctor Omega

CBS
CBS has renewed its Dick Wolf procedural “FBI,” the comedy “The Neighborhood” and the “Magnum P.I.” reboot for second seasons. The orders come as the network already picked up “God Friended Me,” seemingly cancelled “Happy Together” and is undecided at present on “Fam”.