Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BMTk5ODk1NDkxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTA5OTY0OQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,676,1000_AL_.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie....

Clark Kent, one of the last of an extinguished race disguised as an unremarkable human, is forced to reveal his identity when Earth is invaded by an army of survivors who threaten to bring the planet to the brink of destruction.

On to the next movie......

BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE (2016).....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-2016.607/

Back to the previous movie....

SUPERMAN RETURNS (2006).....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/superman-returns-2006.901/

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
It had some good ideas and I quite like Henry Cavill in the role. But it was a bit too depressing for my tastes and the fact that it was an origin movie made it hard to take, since we didn't really get to see Superman (as the character we know and love) at all. It might have been reassessed if we'd seen a better Superman in the sequel but the Superman in Batman v Superman still wasn't the Superman I'm looking for.

Doctor Omega

Vaughn Seems To Confirm “Man of Steel 2” Talks

vaughn-seems-to-confirm-man-of-steel-2-talks-696x464.jpg

Having tackled three comic book properties with “X-Men: First Class,” the first “Kick-Ass,” and both “Kingsman” films, it wasn’t a huge surprise when a rumor went around that British filmmaker Matthew Vaughn’s name was in contention for another.

That film? The sequel to Zack Snyder’s 2013 Superman reboot “Man of Steel”. At the time the rumor was Vaughn was at the top of the studio’s list to helm the movie.

This week, the director has now seemingly confirmed that he’s indeed in contention. Speaking with HeyUGuys, he was asked about the possibility of taking on Superman to which he said:

“I am planning another Kingsman, I’ve written the treatment and some of the scenes…I don’t know what I’m going to do next but I have had chats about Superman, I love Superman. If somebody asks me to do Indiana Jones, most of the superheroes or Star Wars the fanboy in me can’t help but be excited.”

For now there is no production or release date set for a “Man of Steel” follow-up, the studio previously indicating they intend to make it but aren’t seemingly in a huge rush to move forward on it.

The trailer for Man of Steel 1....

Doctor Omega

Vaughn Talks Doing A Positive Superman

vaughn-talks-doing-a-positive-superman-696x464.jpg

The other day filmmaker Matthew Vaughn (“Kingsman,” “X-Men: First Class”) made a comment about how he had a meeting regarding the “Man of Steel” sequel in the works at Warner Bros. Pictures.

It was an in the moment remark, no indication of how the discussion went down and if Vaughn might actually want to or was asked to be involved in any capacity in a Superman film. Nonetheless that story went everywhere.

Cut to today with Vaughn still doing interviews for the “Kingsman” sequel and was asked if he was given the opportunity to direct a Superman movie, how would it go tone-wise. He tells Collider:

“Weirdly if I did do Superman – and I made the mistake of telling someone yesterday I have spoken about it and then wallop (laughs) – I think my main take would be, it’s really boring but make a Superman film. I just don’t feel a proper Superman – I think Donner did it to perfection for that time. Just doing the modern – I wanna do a modern version of the Donner [version]. Go back to the source material… For me Superman is color, feel-good, heroic. He’s a beacon of light in darkness. And that’s what I think Superman should be.”

Henry Cavill’s Superman has been mostly a brooding character, though his appearance in Zack Snyder’s “Justice League” is expected to change that. That film opens November 17th, no word on when a “Man of Steel 2” might go into production.

Gavin

VIP
“Weirdly if I did do Superman – and I made the mistake of telling someone yesterday I have spoken about it and then wallop (laughs) – I think my main take would be, it’s really boring but make a Superman film. I just don’t feel a proper Superman – I think Donner did it to perfection for that time. Just doing the modern – I wanna do a modern version of the Donner [version]. Go back to the source material… For me Superman is color, feel-good, heroic. He’s a beacon of light in darkness. And that’s what I think Superman should be.”
Somebody hire this man immediately. Imagine someone directing a Superman film who actually understood and appreciated the character!

Doctor Omega

Cavill, McQuarrie Have Talked “Man of Steel 2”

cavill-mcquarrie-have-talked-man-of-steel-2-696x464.jpg

More and more there seems to be a serious push to get Henry Cavill back in the Superman suit for a direct “Man of Steel” sequel. The actor has previously revealed there has been plenty of discussions regarding the possibility, and he himself has some ideas for where the sequel could go.

Superman was last seen in “Justice League” and came back a lighter and more positive version of the character than seen in the previous films to date, and one closer to the classic Superman of the comics. Speaking with Collider on the red carpet at CinemaCon this week, Cavill says he hopes to continue that tone moving forward:

“I’m having a lot of conversations, behind-the-scenes, with certain people and we will hopefully be having conversations with other people who are also behind-the-scenes to make things start happening. It is very much in my desire to do a Man of Steel 2, a direct sequel to Man of Steel, and there is a whole bunch of Superman story that I want to tell. There is a whole style of Superman’s character that I’m very keen to tell and I’m looking forward to the opportunity.”

Cavill most recently worked with filmmaker Chris McQuarrie who was also at CinemaCon to promote their collaboration on “Mission: Impossible – Fallout”. McQuarrie spoke with ComicBook.com and revealed he and Cavill discussed the Superman character and franchise at length, and he also mentioned a recent tweet in which he said he was open to the idea of directing “Man of Steel 2”:

“Henry Cavill knows what it would be like. We had a lot of time hanging out on set, and Henry’s a huge fan of Superman. I can’t help but talk story to people, so he told me his take on Superman and I thought it was really great, and I gave him my two cents. The tweet you’re referring to is somebody asked ‘Would you do it?’ and I said ‘Hey, they know where to find me.’ Nobody’s asked, but you know.”

Whether Cavill’s contract to return to the DCEU is still in place is uncertain. As part of that aforementioned CinemaCon interview, Cavill says he’s uncertain if he’s contracted for one more film, or if he’s done, but either way he indicates he’s steadfastly committed to stay in the role if he can.

Gavin

VIP
More and more there seems to be a serious push to get Henry Cavill back in the Superman suit for a direct “Man of Steel” sequel.
I certainly hope so. In Justice League we finally got to see what a real Superman could be like with Henry Cavill in the role and I for one would definitely like to see more of that.

Doctor Omega

James Gunn Nearly Helmed “Superman”

james-gunn-nearly-helmed-superman-696x464.jpg

Earlier this week came word that former “Guardians of the Galaxy” writer/director James Gunn had been set to direct “The Suicide Squad,” a part-sequel and part-reboot of the 2016 DC Comics film at Warner Bros. Pictures.

Now, THR adds that Warners initially approached Gunn to offer him his pick of DC properties, including the possibility of helming a “Superman” film. Gunn reportedly never seriously considered the Man of Steel, though he reportedly did research the comics at least.

Ultimately he decided to tackle the ‘Squad’ follow-up, one that will relaunch the franchise with mostly a fresh band of misfits, and that film is opening August 6th 2021. In addition, Zack Snyder and his wife/producing partner Deborah Snyder have been confirmed to be serving as executive producers on the new film.

Whether Margot Robbie will reprise her role of Harley Quinn in the film is unclear but the actress is currently back in the role for “Birds of Prey” which is now filming.