Review Marnie (1964)

Hux

Member: Rank 6

One of my favourite films. I know a lot of people think Hitch had lost it by the time he made this but I personally love it. Some will point to the stylized backdrops that had long since gone out of fashion, as well as the simplistic psychological aspect of Marnie's trauma.

Then of course, there's that "rape" scene.

On to the next movie.....

TORN CURTAIN....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/torn-curtain-1966.6046/

Back to the previous movie....

THE BIRDS....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-birds-1963.2221/

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol

Member: Rank 5
I know a lot of people think Hitch had lost it by the time he made this
Really? I never knew that, and can't think why they would. First saw this, probably way too young, so the fact Marnie has a complicated back-story about S.E.X. was gob-smacking to someone still reading "Jackie". Also the first film I saw where Sean Connery demonstrated he wasn't just Bond.
Ages since I saw it though - so not sure about a "rape" scene - why the quotation marks, please?

Hux

Because there are those who say it was rape and those who say it wasn't as simple as that. She's essentially catatonic and traumatised in the scene (refusing to even speak) but clearly in love with him and clearly very attracted to him.

It's almost impossible (certainly by modern standards) not to view it as rape and yet it's obviously more complicated than that due to her psychological state.

If you showed it to a jury today, he'd absolutely be sent down but... I dunno, it's tricky to watch it and see him as a rapist.

Her being damaged goods is one of the things that appeals to me.

Carol

damaged goods
Woof! 21st century shitstorm alert!

But, yes, point taken. Way back then - early sixties - not even sure marital rape was legally a "thing". I think you raise a very useful point about historical context in watching any older film (or well-researched historical film) today. I remember lots of frothing at the mouth on the extinct Boards which will be Nameless, e.g. about Pride - a smashing film set during the Miners' Strike of the 80s but attracting a comment thread attacking its "whitewashing" of history, by people who were clearly unaware of the simple, historically-attested lack of non-white residents of the small south welsh town involved.

Hux

I don't even think marital rape was made illegal in the UK until... eek... 1991.

In the modern context, there's no doubt he raped her but when I watch the movie, I just don't want to acknowledge that. I want it to be more complicated.

Carol

Eek... indeed, then - and I'll raise you a gah!

OK I know Hitchcock has a slightly shady reputation for treating actors as as cattle overall and specifically creating the role of the Hitchcock blonde, but I think I'm enough of a feminist to say "jobsworth".

Grace Kelly ended up a card-carrying Princess (without ever working for Disney)
Quite a few of his blondes were actually brunettes - just with localised chemical assistance
He put quie a few leading men through quite a few ghastly predicaments, too, so , assault by Sean Connery v. being hung out to dry on Mt. Rushmore....debatable. Please guys, debate!