Spoilers Marvel Shared Universe

Discussion in 'Marvel Universe' started by Doctor Omega, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Paltrow Retires As Pepper Potts… Mostly

paltrow-retires-as-pepper-potts-mostly-696x464.jpg

As part of a long interview with Variety this morning, actress Gwyneth Paltrow says that after this Summer’s “Avengers: Endgame” she’s planning on retiring her Marvel Cinematic Universe character of Pepper Potts – the love interest of Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.).

Paltrow has played the role in all three “Iron Man” films, “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” and three of the four “Avengers” films including ‘Endgame’. She tells the trade: “I mean, I’m a bit old to be in a suit and all that at this point. I feel very lucky that I did it, because I actually got talked into it.”

While Paltrow won’t commit to any more sequels, she does leave open the possibility that she could make a cameo down the line so long as it’s a short one: “I feel honored to be a part of something that people are so passionate about. Of course, if they said, ‘Can you come back for a day?,’ I will always be there if they need me.”

Paltrow spends most of her time now running her lifestyle brand Goop.

2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Don’t Expect Marvel “X-Men” Films Until 2022?

dont-expect-marvel-x-men-films-until-2022-696x464.jpg

The Fox-Disney deal is complete with the “X-Men,” “Fantastic Four” and “Deadpool” franchises now officially back at Disney and under the purview of Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige like fans have been apparently clamouring for.

However, those hoping to see a new Wolverine joining the “Avengers” anytime soon – you’re in for a long wait. A new report in THR indicates the challenges of the two studio’s integration has only just begun with producing deals on the franchise needing to be either untangled or resolved first – including Lauren Shuler Donner and possibly Simon Kinberg’s deals.

Marvel Studios has not publicly revealed any plans for integrating Fox’s Marvel characters into its cinematic universe as yet, though Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige is said to have “met with several members of the “X-Men” old guard in recent months”. One is Noah Hawley who was penning a “Doctor Doom” film for Fox and has downplayed the seriousness of those discussions.

Disney’s release schedule contains five untitled Marvel movies – two in 2020 and three in 2021 – but it remains unclear if an “X-Men” or “Fantastic Four” movie could make it onto the calendar in time. “Black Widow” and “The Eternals” are looking the likeliest to take the 2020 slots while “Shang-Chi,” “Doctor Strange 2,” “Black Panther 2” and “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” are all seemingly being lined up for 2021 and potentially spilling over into 2022.

This would suggest Marvel, unless it has something ready to go, won’t be utilising the newly arrived heroes in full force until probably 2022. The new characters arrive as “Avengers: Endgame” is expected to be the swan song for some of the key characters who helped launch Marvel Studios with Chris Evans’ Captain America and Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man likely to bow out.

Disney has also inherited five projects from Fox that will be made – the currently filming adaptations of R.L. Stine’s “Fear Street,” the Ryan Reynolds-led ‘guy living in a video game’ film “Free Guy,” the Matt Reeves-produced comic adaptation “Mouse Guard,” Steven Spielberg’s upcoming “West Side Story” remake, and Kenneth Branagh’s Agatha Christie adaptation “Death on the Nile” with Gal Gadot and Armie Hammer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 8

If you guys haven't read any of these books, you owe it to yourself to find them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Chris Evans Talks “Endgame” & His Politics

chris-evans-talks-endgame-his-politics-696x464.jpg

The Marvel Cinematic Universe features actors who seem very much like their characters in real life – Robert Downey, Jr. is flippant and charming, Chris Hemsworth is a godly physical specimen of good humour, and Chris Evans is seemingly a noble symbol of doing what’s right for the little guy.

Evans, in particular, is famous for not staying silent on social media. The actor uses his Twitter account on a daily basis to offer education and inspiration. He also doesn’t keep his political opinions to himself, including his dislike of the current Trump administration in the United States, and interestingly neither Marvel Studios or Disney has tried to censor him so far.

Speaking with THR, Evans discussed why he refuses to stay silent:

“You don’t want to alienate half your audience, but I’d be disappointed in myself if I didn’t speak up. Especially for fear of some monetary repercussion or career damage – that just feels really gross to me. Marvel has never said anything. On the contrary – when I bump into Kevin Feige [Marvel Studios president] the first thing out of his mouth is ‘Man, I love what you’re doing [on Twitter].'”

Kevin Feige himself is all for it, saying to Evans: “I don’t see it as trash-talking. I see it as very astute, very honorable, very noble, very Cap-like. Commentary and questioning. I’ve said to him, ‘You’re merging! You and the character are merging!'”. Evans responded to that saying: “The characters I play do a lot of that heavy lifting. If people knew me – I’m just an a–hole.”

Evans also discussed the emotional final chapter of the MCU’s current saga with “Avengers: Endgame” and says “this one’s really good. I choked up like three times” and he can’t believe they cut together a trailer because “so much of it is a visual spoiler”.

“Avengers: Endgame” will hit theaters on April 26th.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Russos Re-Affirm “Secret Wars” Desire

russos-re-affirm-secret-wars-desire-696x464.jpg

Filmmakers Joe and Anthony Russo are stepping away from Marvel Studios after “Avengers: Endgame” with no immediate plans to return for more films with the company for the next few years.

The pair, who’ve directed four of the biggest films in the franchise, the last two back-to-back, need an understandable break. If they were to return however, it would have to be for something big and recently they reconfirmed to MTV Newstheir desire for an adaptation of the ‘Secret Wars’ storyline from the comics:

“I keep saying Secret Wars ’cause that was one of the first books that I really fell in love with as a kid…this notion of event storytelling. That’s part of the reason that we gravitate so strongly towards these event films and these ensemble films is that the notion that you can contain so many different characters, and so many different points of view, and galvanize them around a story point is really compelling to us.”

In that twelve-issue crossover story, Marvel heroes are pulled into the alternate, wartorn dimension Battleworld by The Beyonder where it becomes a battle between a team of heroes (Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic 4 & Spider-Man goodies) vs. villains (Doctor Doom, Ultron, Doc Ock, Enchantress, Kang, Klaw, and in part Galactus).

The storyline, along with DC’s Crisis on Infinite Earths, birthed the cycle of major crossover events tied to comic book lines.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

secret-wars-no-1-cover-captain-america_u-l-f8a6ju0.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  7. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

SW1.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 8

My only issue is that they've already done Venom, so they can't include the black suit in the story. Otherwise, I say do it!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

10. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

11. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Disney Denies the Request of a Grieving Father