Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
Andrews Won’t Cameo In “Mary Poppins Returns”

View attachment 1808

While Julie Andrews has given her endorsement to the project, director Rob Marshall has confirmed that the legendary actress and singer will not be appearing in the upcoming “Mary Poppins Returns”.

Marshall tells EW this week that Andrews, who played the titular magical nanny in the original 1964 classic, was offered the chance but turned it down and explained that it was essentially not to step on the toes of the new Mary Poppins, Emily Blunt:

“Julie was incredibly gracious, and we talked about it in a very general way but she made it clear right up front. She said, ‘This is Emily’s show, and I really want it to be Emily’s show. I don’t want it to be, ‘Oh, here comes that Mary Poppins.’ I don’t want that. I really want her to take this and run with it because she will be brilliant.”

While Andrews won’t appear, Dick Van Dyke from the original film is slated to pop up in the film which is set in 1930s Depression-era London and sees the now grown up Banks children Michael (Ben Whishaw) and Jane (Emily Mortimer), three children and their housekeeper.

After Michael suffers a personal loss, the enigmatic nanny (Blunt) re-enters their lives and, along with the optimistic street lamplighter Jack (Lin-Manuel Miranda), uses her unique magical skills to help the family rediscover the joy and wonder missing in their lives.

“Mary Poppins Returns” is set to open in theaters on December 25th 2018.
Best guess is that what Julie really means is: she doesn't want to touch this stinker with a barge pole.

I like 'incredibly gracious' as a euphemism for this, however.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
A DENGO AYTE MAH BAYBAY!
Mummy, make it stop! :emoji_anguished:

Make the nasty lady go away! :emoji_cold_sweat:

Damn... Sorry about that. You seem to have triggered some sort of a flashback...

It seems that I suffer from PTSD - Painfully Tortured by Streep’s Dialect.
Yes, I enjoy much of her work (okay, there was Ricki and the Flash), but I tend to think she's rather vastly oversold on her ability with accents.
Unfortunately, it might be quite some time before I can bring myself to watch her in a film again... :emoji_cry:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Mary Poppins Returns
A new photo of Lin-Manuel Miranda as a lamplighter named Jack in the upcoming Disney film “Mary Poppins Returns” has arrived via Empire. Miranda is effectively serving as this film’s version of Dick Van Dyke’s chimney sweep from the original, though Van Dyke himself has a cameo in the new film.

quick-news-mary-wild-cam-lady-spriggan-696x464.jpg

Doctor Omega

quick-news-mary-noxon-moon-dead-696x464.jpg

Mary Poppins Returns
A month out from release, Disney has unveiled a new featurette for Rob Marshall’s “Mary Poppins Returns” which looks at the casting of the anticipated sequel, the elaborate musical numbers, the extended animation sequence and more.

Emily Blunt takes on the iconic role from P.L. Travers’ books made famous by Julie Andrews in the original 1964 film. Rob Marshall helms the film set in 1930s London as Jane Banks (Emily Mortimer) and Michael Banks (Ben Whishaw) are now grown-up with Michael still living in the house on Cherry Tree Lane with his three children and a housekeeper named Ellen.

After Michael suffers a personal loss, Mary Poppins comes back to the Banks family with street lamplighter Jack (Lin-Manuel Miranda), and eccentric cousin Topsy Turvy (Meryl Streep). The film is slated to open in cinemas late December.

Doctor Omega

Disney’s “Mary Poppins Returns” has been screening the past few days and has emerged as an unexpected awards contender with guild screenings yielding lengthy standing ovations and emotional reaction which usually goes over well with Oscar voters.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Ugh. Looks dreadful. That idiot Michael Phillips, who has utter disdain for Bohemian Rhapsody, will probably give this drek three or four stars. The pathetic state of American cinema today!

Doctor Omega

It would be great if more people posted on the whole of the site, but we seem to have a situation of a permanent 30 or so guests. who either never sign in or have yet to sign up.

There is a nucleus of no more than a handful of regular chatters on here, (who are listed if you click the members bar at the top), but most people just seem to like to read the promo stuff or watch the various videos.

Hate to resort to begging, but if there is anyone out there reading this, do please sign up and either post your thoughts on whatever thread you fancy - or start a thread of your own. We could definitely do with some new regular voices. :emoji_head_bandage:

As to Mary Poppins, I haven't seen it myself yet - and I thought it sounded a terrible idea when it was first touted, but it seems to have met with huge success.