News Matthias & Maxime (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0000000.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

The story focuses on friends in their late 20s and all the hallmarks that come with that age.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

First Photos: Xavier Dolan’s “Matthias & Maxime”

first-photos-xavier-dolans-matthias-maxime-696x464.jpg

Even though his first English-language film has yet to premiere, Quebecios filmmaker Xavier Dolan is already at work on filming his next feature titled “Matthias and Maxime” with the first set photos released today.

https://imgur.com/a/FALOpGJ#wGKRR0h

The story focuses on a group of late-twentysomethings living in Montreal and includes his past “Mommy” co-stars Anne Dorval and Antoine-Olivier Pilon along with Gabriel D’Almeida Freitas, Pier-Luc Funk, Samuel Gauthier, Adib Alkhalidey, Catherine Brunet, Marilyn Castonguay, Micheline Bernard and Dolan himself.

Speaking about the film back in January, he told THR: “I’ve been writing about kids and adolescents but lately I have been confronted with such mature material, like Boy Erased, CMBYN and God’s Own Country, and that gave me the desire to talk about homosexuality from an adult, and not a post-adolescent, point of view and to talk about my generation and my friends and my friendships. It made me want to write about two best friends falling in love who had never realized they could have a preference for men. I want to talk about true friendship and true love.”

Dolan says the film is a combination of “Tom at the Farm” aesthetically and “Mommy” in terms of energy and spirit and he wrote a bunch of it whilst filming an onscreen role in the upcoming “Boy Erased” recently. The project also marks something of a reunion for Dolan and Dorval who will once again play mother and son on screen in the film like they did in Dolan’s first film “I Killed My Mother” a decade ago.

Dolan’s previous film “The Death and Life of John F. Donovan,” starring Natalie Portman, Kit Harrington, Susan Sarandon and Kathy Bates,has been hit by behind-the-scenes troubles in post which saw some delays. That film, however, is now ready to premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in coming days but hasn’t set a theatrical release as yet.

Doctor Omega

New Details On Dolan’s “Matt and Max”

new-details-on-dolans-matt-and-max-696x464.jpg

Currently putting the finishing touches on his first English-language feature “The Death and Life of John F. Donovon,” prolific French-Canadian auteur Xavier Dolan has lined up his next project – a Quebec-set intimate family drama titled “Matt & Max”.

Dolan will play Max and his regular muse Anne Dorval will play his mother, just like in Dolan’s first film “I Killed My Mother”. The French-language drama will focus on a group of friends in their late twenties and was heavily inspired by the recent surge of acclaimed queer dramas like “Call Me by Your Name,” “God’s Own Country” and the upcoming “Boy Erased”.

He says the central aim of the story deals with two adult male best friends who fall in love but who had never previously realized they could have a preference for men. Dolan says: “I want to talk about true friendship and true love…[and] to talk about homosexuality and how we live with it, how we see it, how we label it, how we organize it as a society”.

Dolan wanted to do it with ‘Donovan’ but that project evolved into something different: “more of a homage to the family dramas of the nineties rather than a profound reflection on what it is to be gay.” Kit Harington, Jacob Tremblay, Natalie Portman, Susan Sarandon, Kathy Bates and Jessica Chastain star in ‘Donovan’ about the secret correspondence between a Hollywood TV actor and a young fan.

One big difference between ‘Max’ and his previous work is he intends to write from a truly adult point of view as opposed to his previous films which focused on post-adolescent and young adult characters. He also says the film will have the ‘energy and spirit’ of “Mommy,” and the aesthetics of “Tom at the Farm”. The script was reportedly finalized earlier this month, and Dolan plans to shoot the film in the Fall.

Doctor Omega

GzrIyCc.jpg

Despite all those negative reviews for “The Death & Life of John F. Donovan,” you can’t keep filmmaker Xavier Dolan down and the actor gives us a double dose this year with the second being this much more intimate French-language indie drama that re-teams him with his “Mommy” stars Antoine Pilon and Anne Dorval while “Beach Rats” breakout Harris Dickinson also stars. The story focuses on friends in their late 20s and all the hallmarks that come with that age.

Doctor Omega

Trailer and poster......

max.jpg