Poll Miscast Classic Doctors?

Who Should Never Have Been Given the Job?

• Hartnell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Troughton

• Pertwee

• Tom Baker

• Peter Davison

• Colin Baker

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Sylvester Mccoy

• Paul McGann

• Don't be stupid! They were all well cast!

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I used to believe that Colin was miscast. I spent years hating his portrayal. Then a couple of years ago I sat and rewatched him, and realized that, under different circumstances, he could have been absolutely brilliant. The problem was not with Colin, but with how the powers that be didn't know how to make the show right. He's actually fantastic in the role when you see the nuances he injects into the role.

I also wasn't originally sold on McGann when they announced him, but again, he shines in terrible writing. Half human Doctor indeed. What shit.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I used to believe that Colin was miscast. I spent years hating his portrayal.

Funnily, I have actually had the reverse experience, CSM. I spent years absolutely accepting Colin as the Doctor (even loving the coat) and thinking that his woes in the role were completely the fault of others. But quite recently I have started to be less forgiving of his telegraphed acting; pulling faces and mugging responses to everything around him and the silly shouting. (Unstable?!? Unstable!!!?!?I am also profoundly unconvinced by Colin's retroactive claim that there was any kind of plan to "peel the banana" and show the Sidney Carton hero under this unpleasant exterior.

I think the mistake was in giving the role to an actor best suited to the theatre. Colin also tended to accept and happily go along with - and indeed relish - moments that pulled into question the morality of his Doctor. The acid bath quip for instance, which I think all the other actors in the Classic run would have refused to say - and Colin has said he wished he could have pumped more bullets into the Cybercontroller etc.

As a man he is witty, charming and a great ambassador for the show - albeit seeming to have a Tom Baker grudge. But as a Doctor, I feel he was as much the architect of his downfall as the forces around him.

I am also, lately, wondering more and more who could have been handed the assignment in his stead? It seems that JNT gave the role out on this occasion to the first person he found amusing in his orbit, when really he should - as a professional - have cast his net wider as a matter of form.

So, though it nostalgically pains me to do so, I now have to vote miscast for old Sixie.

But I have absolutely no quibbles with any of the other Doctors.*

*And, even though I feel that JNT cast Davison simply because he was flavour of the month and popular at the time, the fact is that Davison also happens to be a remarkable actor and was able to bring qualities to his Doctor that a lesser actor would not have.

(There remains to me the lingering possibility that, had Tom quit a year later, JNT might have cast a different flavour of the month actor who did not have Davison's talent.

So either JNT was astute or lucky in this regard. I am not so sure of his astuteness and am leaning more towards lucky.)

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

I am also, lately, wondering more and more who could have been handed the assignment in his stead? It seems that JNT gave the role out on this occasion to the first person he found amusing in his orbit, when really he should - as a professional - have cast his net wider as a matter of form.
Since I just watched the season premiere of The Flash, I am pondering the multiverse, and curious about an Earth where JNT handed the role to a brilliant but mostly unknown Shakespearean actor by the name of Patrick Stewart, the events of which would cause a horribly miscast Jean-Luc Picard. And that, my friends, is how horrible fan fiction gets written.
*And, even though I feel that JNT cast Davison simply because he was flavour of the month and popular at the time, the fact is that Davison also happens to be a remarkable actor and was able to bring qualities to his Doctor that a lesser actor would not have.
We are certainly lucky that Davison had the chops for the role. And I always liked him on the show. It's funny, because my parent were both fans of All Creatures Great and Small, so I knew him from that, and it helped in the transition, because I didn't think Tom was replaceable. Also, when I went back not too long ago to watch some ACG&S, I now know that my uncaring for the show wasn't because I was a young child, but because I really couldn't give two shits about veterinarians. Apologies to the animal lovers in the crowd.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I love the idea of Colin getting the role of Captain of the NCC 1701D.

Poor Deanna.

CAPTAIN COLIN: Nothing?!?! Nothing?!?!? YOU FEEL NOTHING?!?!?!?!?!?

(Proceeds to strangle her.)

chainsaw_metal1

Wait!

The Valeyard was an evil version of The Doctor!

Shinzon was an evil version of Picard!

Tom Hardy played Shinzon and Venom!

Venom is what caused the Fifth Doctor to regenerate!

This means...something!!!

chainsaw_metal1

Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant were on Star Trek!

Patrick Stewart was in Hamlet with David Tennant!

And both actors were in Marvel projects!

This goes deeper than any of us could possibly grasp!

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
As I said on the other thread, I don't think any Doctor was miscast. Both 6 & 8 were poorly served by their scripts (and in 6's case, most of the production qualities) but both have gone on to prove they were well cast in the Big Finish audios. The only classic era Doctor I had any real struggle to enjoy was Sylvester McCoy, who got dudded because he was stuck with Mel, had the awful Rani story as his first episode and found himself going up against my late teenagerhood and my reluctance to embrace the pantomime elements that had crept into the show. His second and third seasons were significantly better, but I was only watching sporadically in season 25 and I don't believe I even saw season 26 until many years later (not sure if the ABC even showed it at the time here in Australia since it had already been cancelled by the time they finished airing season 25).