Poll Miscast Modern Doctors?

Who Should Never have Received that Phone Call?

• Eccleston

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Tennant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Smith

• Capaldi

• Whittaker

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Another stupid Poll! They are all great, numb nuts!

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
ECCLESTON

I think it was a mistake for Eccleston to put his name forward for the role. And I think he quickly realised his mistake.

Now we are stuck with an opening series that has a guy in it who can't do the lighter stuff, choosing instead to grin like a t**t.

He clearly now hates RTD and all the people who were around him seem to hate him. The Northern accent I feel was also a mistake. One cute line about it doesn't make up for the daftness of this jarring voice imo.

A lot of people say about how he had to be the way he was, having emerged from a Time War, but Tennant could have played a wounded survivor as well - or even better - than Eccleston did. A wasted regeneration imo.

I think RTD allowed the idea of casting someone of the caliber of Eccleston over-ride what was needed re: the character of the Doctor. Better they had skipped straight to Tennant, I feel.

TENNANT

Tennant gave a good performance in the role, but I never felt that his character was informed with any natural eccentricity. It was, to me, like watching a master craftsman doing a very good job. And a master craftsman at least can be relied on. So I would say he was not miscast.

SMITH

When I first saw Matt Smith being interviewed I was pretty aghast to be honest. Who was this kid they had cast?

He proved me wrong. He actually possessed that natural eccentricity that was so the Doctor. And it really did feel like there was a very old person inside there.

CAPALDI

Capaldi... This is the most painful one of all. I feel he was far and away the best actor to be cast in the role of the modern era. Then he was treated like Colin Baker, but - unlike Colin imo - was in no way to blame for what happened.... Curtailed seasons, terrible scripts. He was given a Doctor with abrupt social skills to start with and seemed to be relegated out of the way of the stories half the time.

Then, despite the scripts he started to flower and his farewell utterance of "Doctor, I let you go!" was a sad tribute to an actor who I don't think was ever allowed to get proper traction with either the show or his Doctor.

(There were moments, yes - although I am not sure about that Hell Bent episode. I will have to give it another watch.)

So yes, the most perfect casting of the modern era imo. And the worst treated.

WHITTAKER

And so I come, with trepidation, to Whittaker.

I have to come absolutely clean and say that I think that the casting of a woman in the role of the Doctor - who is now strangely gender-fluid after an incredible 12 regenerations - has not been done for the right reasons - or, indeed, done with any brilliance, cleverness or wit. Hammering us over the head in the last few years with unsubtle references and smart-alec lines has been tiresome to endure.

In terms of the narrative, I feel that if the Doctor really were gender fluid, he/she should really have been flip-flopping genders all the way through the run from 1963. Instead we had a completely male regeneration cycle and now, suddenly this has happened. I get a distinctly overwhelming smell of ultimately silly ret-con!!

And, in terms of the actress cast, I also am not seeing the brilliant new interpretation of the Time Lord that I am being told about in umpteen reviews. I see someone doing an impersonation of sometimes Tennant/sometimes Smith. Again, no natural eccentricity underlies her performance that I can (yet) see. And, unlike Tennant, I do not feel she is a master-craftsman, so there is nothing to make up for that lack of natural eccentricity.

To my mind so far, she is just one of a multitude of actresses that could do a credible impersonation of someone who has previously played the Doctor. But I don't see her Doctor there. At least not yet.

The fact that Jodie has not bothered to look back at the Classic Era Doctors at all upon gaining the role rankles with me somewhat. And her recent statement in a recent magazine interview that "Doctor Who always celebrated the white male viewpoint!" (when she has apparently not even looked at the show in any great depth: she saw it now and again when her thespian mates were in it.) has not helped matters for me.

I cannot shake the feeling that Chibnall's priority was to cast someone he knew was thick skinned and staunchly feminist enough to weather any and all flak. I am not sure, however, that enough thought was given to casting an actress who was actually right for the role.

The accent, once again, I feel is a profound mistake. Can one imagine Romana talking like this? All Gallifreyan qualities evaporate every time Jodie opens her mouth. Do any of us truly think that she sounds like an ancient alien in any way, shape or form? I think this stems from her not approaching the role with any great observation of - or even respect for - the character's mythos. Jodie saying that changing her accent would have been tough and adding that she so admires Tennant's ability to do so also calls into question for me her credentials as an actress. It's part of an actor's tool-kit, love!

If one is going to cast a female Doctor, I would be thinking more along the lines of Helena Bonham Carter or the lady who played the Tardis in the DOCTOR'S WIFE episode. An ethereal, ditzy, otherworldly quality that is underlying the performance. Not an acted eccentricity which is what I feel we are getting now.

Which brings me to another thing that has come to bother me. The sheer unpleasantness of the fanbase these days.

This whole gender changing business has seen a definite division in the fanbase and I have seen and learned new phrases along the way. How many times have we all recently seen the following.....

"RIP DOCTOR WHO 1963-2017".

"SJW's have killed DOCTOR WHO!"

or the flip side....

"Don't let the Tardis door bang your arse on the way out."

"Good riddance, you won't be missed."

It's all come a long way from when I just enjoyed the show - or the novelisations - all those years ago. And now seems to be a battleground. Which brings me to another point.

Each time the Doctor is cast from now on it will surely be a battleground for pressure groups. Each feeling passed over, no matter who is cast, whether it is a man or woman, or white, black or Asian.

The Doctor, I feel, is turning into a symbol of equality, rather than what he (or okay, she) used to be: a brilliant fictional character.

Maybe the only answer is to call it a day?

Either as programme makers - or, at the very least for me personally - as a fan.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Maybe the only answer is to call it a day?

Either as programme makers - or, at the very least for me personally - as a fan.

Having said all that, and in immediate complete contradiction of myself, I will continue to watch the show.

I think it's hard-wired into me. :emoji_robot:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

The two I voted for, together in another setting.....

Jodie Whittaker And Christopher Eccleston Arguing - Antigone

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
The only thing I don’t like about Eccleston is the fact that he wouldn’t play the War Doctor. That threw off the whole timeline. And RTD shouldn’t have gotten rid of Gallifrey in the first place - but hindsight is 20/20, isn’t it.

Gavin

VIP
There's not one single Doctor that I think was miscast. Some have been poorly served by scripts, but everyone has brought something good to the role. The only one I had any struggle getting used to was Christopher Eccleston, who (for me) took a while to settle into the role. He probably wasn't helped by the fact that the production team were still finding their way but by the end of the season I was disappointed he was leaving. I think he'd have been improved in my mind by getting a second season, and he hasn't helped himself by his attitude to the role since he left. It's clear he didn't understand how important the role was to the fans or if he did he didn't think that the revival would catch on to the extent it did.

The Seeker

There's not one single Doctor that I think was miscast. Some have been poorly served by scripts, but everyone has brought something good to the role. The only one I had any struggle getting used to was Christopher Eccleston, who (for me) took a while to settle into the role. He probably wasn't helped by the fact that the production team were still finding their way but by the end of the season I was disappointed he was leaving. I think he'd have been improved in my mind by getting a second season, and he hasn't helped himself by his attitude to the role since he left. It's clear he didn't understand how important the role was to the fans or if he did he didn't think that the revival would catch on to the extent it did.
I was so disappointed he wasn’t in the movie. I liked John Hurt but his casting threw the whole Doctor count off. Not to mention it was a stupid decision by RTD to destroy Gallifrey in the first place.

Gavin

VIP
Not to mention it was a stupid decision by RTD to destroy Gallifrey in the first place.
I didn't mind that so much. It was simply a way to de-complicate the mythos for new viewers at the time and gave the Doctor some angst. I was less keen on the way it was undone, meaning 3 Doctors suffered believing they'd destroyed Gallifrey for no reason. I'd have preferred a solution where they'd still had to destroy Gallifrey and later found out that some people had escaped and rebuilt Time Lord society on a new planet (which they still could have called Gallifrey).

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I'd have preferred a solution where they'd still had to destroy Gallifrey and later found out that some people had escaped and rebuilt Time Lord society on a new planet (which they still could have called Gallifrey).
Maybe a plot where the remaining Time Lords had to destroy the previous inhabitants by terraforming the planet, and The Doctor has to save the day by breaking Rassilon's neck.

No, that sounds kinda dumb. No one would ever put that into the continuity of a beloved sci-fi/fantasy character. :emoji_wink:

I wasn't overly hip on them destroying Gallifrey, but it did add some interesting dramatic moments, like Tennant waxing poetic about his home to Martha on New Earth, or his reveal of its destruction to The Master. Again, this brings me back to my comments on Moffat and his inability to kill anyone in a meaningful way. RTD made the bold decision to destroy the planet, and Moffat comes in with his "everybody lives" mentality, and it comes back, but he doesn't really do anything with it.

The Seeker

I didn't mind that so much. It was simply a way to de-complicate the mythos for new viewers at the time and gave the Doctor some angst. I was less keen on the way it was undone, meaning 3 Doctors suffered believing they'd destroyed Gallifrey for no reason. I'd have preferred a solution where they'd still had to destroy Gallifrey and later found out that some people had escaped and rebuilt Time Lord society on a new planet (which they still could have called Gallifrey).
Well, that’s an idea. I just think he got rid of a lot of potential storylines by doing that. Not that Moffat used Gallifrey at all after he brought it back.