Review Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Oh Tom! You are so greedy?

Or is that your scientology friends demanding that you bring in the cash for them?

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
With a potential title like MI6, why do I get a feeling that this is an opportunity to do a crossover with James Bond?

I wonder what George Lazenby is up to these days? :emoji_wink:

Doctor Omega

Angela Bassett Joins “Mission: Impossible 6”

ABass.jpg

Angela Bassett is set to join the cast of Christopher McQuarrie’s currently in production sixth film in the “Mission: Impossible” franchise. Bassett will take on the role of the director of the CIA in the film, a role she’s familiar with having also played the director of the CIA in M:i-6 producer J.J. Abrams’ spy series “Alias”.

Tom Cruise, Henry Cavill, Rebecca Ferguson, Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames, Alec Baldwin, Vanessa Kirby, Sian Brooke, Frederick Schmidt and Sean Harris star in the Paramount Pictures and Skydance production.

McQuarrie, who previously helmed “Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,” is once again writing and directing the sequel. “Mission: Impossible 6” is set to debut in cinemas on July 27th 2018.

Source: Heat Vision

Doctor Omega

McQuarrie Extensively Talks M:I-6 Plans & Tone

mcquarrie-extensively-talks-mi-6-plans-tone-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Christopher McQuarrie is currently filming the sixth entry in the “Mission: Impossible” franchise following his success with the previous outing “Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation”. That makes him the only director to ever helm two films in that series to date and recently he appeared on the Scriptnotes podcast (via Collider) to discuss his approach to the film.

Conducted in the midst of a seven-week filming stint on the project in Paris, McQuarrie confirms the next film won’t be jumping around geographically as much as the most recent two entries in the series have:

“I was determined, unlike the last movie, to spend more time in one location. I went back and I looked at the first movie, which started in Prague, and realized that they’re in Prague for the first half of the movie. So, I sort of pulled back a little bit on the globe-trotting. I think in Rogue Nation I think we might have been in six countries in the first ten minutes of the movie.”

Along with a smaller overall scope, a big aim of the new entry is to give Ethan Hunt a more emotional story this time around – though that doesn’t mean they’re skimping on the action:

“The problem with something like Mission, the action is dictating the narrative. And I was determined to change that in this movie. And I started with that. I started with more of an emotional story for this character and more of a character arc within it. It’s definitely more of an emotional journey for Ethan Hunt in that movie.

But then the action comes in. And the ambitions of that action, so there’s a sequence at the end of the movie which is fabulous. It’s never been done. It’s all photo real. It’s going to be incredible. You then have to create the contrivances for that sequence to happen.

Then there’s only a few locations in the world where you can shoot that sequence. So suddenly you find yourself going, well, I have this resource and that resource, and I have to put them in my movie. Why are they in my movie? And now I’ve got to explain that.

The franchise is also set to go in a different direction tonally:

“We had a big conversation about tone. Because [Ghost Protocol director] Brad Bird really changed the tone of the franchise and Rogue Nation embraced that tone completely. At the beginning of this I said to Tom, ‘I don’t think we can do that three in a row. I think now it’s going to become cute. I think we need to take it another direction still.’ And we did.

But now we find ourselves going, you know, are we going where Bond went where Bond became – serious. It’s another kind of tone. Which, by the way, has not hurt their bottom line at all. They’ve really found their place. But we can’t go there. We were sort of laughing because we were looking at Rogue Nation and saying, “Well thanks, Bond, for not doing that anymore, so we’ll do it. Now we’re looking at it and going, ‘But we can’t keep doing that’.

We suddenly hit that same wall and understood why Bond went the way they did. And we’re at this kind of emotional crossroads with the franchise saying well how dramatic can you take Mission? It’s not going to a dark place. It’s going to a more emotionally dramatic place.”

The filming in Paris that he’s been doing has been mostly action in fact with barely any dialogue scenes which allows him more time to further craft the more dramatic material in between sequences:

“We’re very fortunate in that as long as we’re in Paris – we’re here for almost seven weeks, I only have three dialogue scenes in Paris. Everything else is action. All of the – the interior action in Paris will be shot in London. And what that allows me to do is play with the characters on a very, very, very minute scale and start to find what the movie looks like and know that, oh, I don’t have to explain what happens in this scene until the end of the summer when I’m in London. So it allowed us to sort of prioritize what did I really need to know in Paris before I left and what does that tie me into. And what we’re always trying to do is leave ourselves as many outs as possible.”

McQuarrie is also adopting a different visual approach thanks to “Ex Machina” cinematographer Rob Hardy:

“I said I want to do a very different Mission: Impossible. The franchise relies on a different director every time. That’s what it’s sort of become known for. And so I want to maintain that, even though I’m coming back. And to that end, I’m going to defer to you on certain things. Rob said, OK. I said, so how do you like to shoot?

He said, ‘Well, I tend to shoot pretty much on a 35 and a 50mm lens. Everything.’ Which terrified me, because I tend to start at 75mm. And so 30 and 50 I reserve for very specific things. He shoots everything. He covers scenes in it. What was really interesting was on our second day we were shooting this car chase and we were into the hood mounts on the car chase. And Rob pulled out the 100mm lens. And the 135. And he was sort of shocked to find himself compelled to do it.”

The new style also applies to the way scenes are unfolding with McQuarrie relying more on long takes and less editing. That led to changes such as Tom Cruise and Rebecca Ferguson first meeting in this film suddenly involving less dialogue:

“Rebecca Ferguson’s character is back in this movie and her introduction in the movie was originally this page of dialogue when Ethan runs into her at this event. I also am working with a new cinematographer. And we kept talking about shooting things in longer takes, oners, less editing. And I realized that the scene that I had written for the two of them forced me to cut back and forth. And I was very frustrated in the last movie that every time people started talking, it eventually – the movie just stopped and turned into – just coverage. Just coverage, coverage, coverage.

And I thought how do I get out of that. I want the camera to feel lighter. I just want the scenes to feel lighter. So, I realized this scene between Tom and Rebecca was going to just drag me down into coverage. So I started taking away the lines of the scene that weren’t necessary. And one by one I cut away every line until there was nothing left in the scene. And what happens now is Rebecca just bumps into Tom. Tom sees Rebecca. Rebecca sees Tom. And they have this whole moment. There’s a whole story between the two of them and there’s another person standing there. And she can’t say what she wants to say. He can’t say – and they just behave the scene. And it was really liberating. So we’ve gone in and done a lot of that. We’ve just sort of chipped away.

McQuarrie also says Vanessa Kirby’s character changed dramatically from what was on the page once the actress showed up to set: “Vanessa just found this beautiful tone that she played with Tom. And now I know how to write the rest of the movie.”

“Mission: Impossible 6” is currently in production and opens in theaters on July 27th next year. You can hear the full podcast here.

Doctor Omega

Monaghan Returns For Sixth “Mission”

monaghan-returns-for-sixth-mission-696x464.jpg

Michelle Monaghan is set to return for the sixth film in the “Mission: Impossible” franchise following a major role in the third film and a cameo in the fourth.

Monaghan’s character was married to Tom Cruise’s Ethan Hunt in J.J. Abrams’ “Mission: Impossible III” which gave Hunt a wife and a backstory that seemingly only consisted of the idea he liked holding barbeques with friends.

After that, she was mostly used as leverage. In Brad Bird’s “Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation” it was revealed they had separated and she had gone into hiding for her own protection.

Now she’s back for Christopher McQuarrie’s new film which is said to be a darker, more serious and more emotional tale than the two most recent entries.

Rebecca Ferguson, Henry Cavill, Vanessa Kirby, Alec Baldwin and Angela Bassett also star in the new film which is scheduled for release on July 27th 2018.

Doctor Omega

Baldwin’s Here In Sixth “Mission” Set Photo

Filmmaker Christopher McQuarrie keeps posting lovely behind-the-scenes photos from the upcoming and currently in production sixth “Mission: Impossible” feature

Alec Baldwin’s CIA Director Alan Hunley, who joined the franchise in “Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation,” returns for the new film and the actor can be seen, as can co-stars Tom Cruise, Angela Bassett and Henry Cavill.

Filming on the project began in April in Paris, then relocated to New Zealand, and is now underway in London. Rebecca Ferguson, Vanessa Kirby, Simon Pegg, Michelle Monaghan, Sean Harris, Ving Rhames and Sian Brooke co-star in the film which opens July 27th 2018.

baldwins-here-in-sixth-mission-set-photos-696x464.jpg

Doctor Omega

Tom Cruise Suffers Injury While Performing ‘Mission: Impossible 6’ Stunt

tomcruise2-f2794db5-a472-4325-a6f6-d49dfaa3807b.jpg

Actor, Tom Cruise has suffered an injury while shooting Mission: Impossible 6 in London.

The 55-year-old actor, who has performed his own stunts for years, slammed into a building as part of a stunt on Sunday, but it did not go as planned.

While he had tried to run and jump from a platform onto another structure while wearing a safety wire, TMZ reports with exclusive footage available at their network that he appeared to “leap too soon,” hitting the building.

Cruise is then seen pulling himself up and limping over to the film’s crew members, who are just feet away. One of them notices and helps to maneuver him back to the platform, where he is then guided off set.

While the extent of his injury is unknown, his rep and manager did not provide any comment to press.

Cruise has become renowned in going to great lengths to execute his own stunts, including a plane crash in zeo gravity for the recent reboot of the “The Mummy,” which he says took 64 takes to get right.

Mission: Impossible 6, starring Cruise, Simon Pegg, Henry Cavill, Alec Baldwin and Michelle Monaghan, is slated to hit theaters July 27, 2018.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Sixth “Mission” Production Delay Confirmed

sixth-mission-cast-depart-new-zealand-696x464.jpg

Following rumors yesterday, it is now confirmed that production on the sixth “Mission: Impossible” film is being halted to give Tom Cruise time to recover from an on-set injury.

The actor hurt himself doing stunt work on rooftops for the film last weekend and one source close to production says Cruise may have broken his ankle in two places and hurt his hip.

In a statement, the studio has now said: “During production on the latest Mission: Impossible film, Tom Cruise broke his ankle while performing a stunt. Production will go on hiatus while Tom makes a full recovery, and the film remains on schedule to open July 27th 2018. Tom wants to thank you all for your concern and support and can’t wait to share the film with everyone next summer.”

Variety adds the stoppage is expected to run between six weeks to three months according to four people with knowledge of the situation. They say production could still wrap in a timely manner if scenes with Cruise are left for the end of the shoot and the focus is put on post-production elements during the hiatus.

The main issue will be scheduling issues for cast members such as Simon Pegg, Henry Cavill, and Rebecca Ferguson who are slated to start filming other projects as soon as “Mission: Impossible 6” wraps.

Paramount is also concerned filming of Cruise’s “Top Gun” sequel could be delayed.

Doctor Omega

Sixth “Mission” Wraps Norway Shoot With Stunt

sixth-mission-wraps-norway-shoot-with-stunt-696x464.jpg

After stopping for over a month so Tom Cruise’s ankle could recover, shooting resumed on “Mission: Impossible 6” a month ago and now it looks like some filming in Norway on the project is wrapping up in the series’ typical style – with an insane stunt.

Actor Henry Cavill, director Chris McQuarrie and cinematographer Rob Hardy have all posted photos from the location shoot in the past week and now video has popped up of Cruise scaling the side of the steep cliff of Preikestolen.

Cavill’s Instagram photo also confirms he performed some sort of action sequence atop the cliff. The overall shoot is expected to continue on for a few more weeks with the movie still targeting a July 2018 release.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Mission: Impossible – Fallout” Finally Wraps

mission-impossible-fallout-finally-wraps-696x464.jpg

Filming began last April and now, ten months later, production has FINALLY wrapped on “Mission: Impossible – Fallout,” the sixth film in the action thriller series.

Director Chris McQuarrie posted a photo from the end of filming along with the caption that says the wrap comes after “3000 setups, 13 helicopters, 6 pregnancies, 5 hiatuses, 4 weeks of aerial photography, 3 continents, 2 winters, and 1 broken ankle.”

Star Tom Cruise’s ankle injury in August effectively shut down the production for two months, which is why this hasn’t wrapped sooner, though the time allowed McQuarrie to get to work on some of the post-production on the film early – meaning this will go through post much faster than other films of this size. It will have to though in order to make its late July release around much of the world.

A splinter unit will continue filming a stunt sequence for the next several days, but no principal cast members are expected to be involved.