Fun Social Media

SOCIAL MEDIA: A Blessing? Or a Curse of Modern Life?

• Blessing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Curse

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
RED’s Hydrogen One Releasing Friday

reds-hydrogen-one-releasing-friday-696x464.jpg

AT&T, WarnerMedia and the makers of the famed RED digital cameras which are used heavily by the likes of David Fincher and Peter Jackson, have teamed up to create a super-high-end mobile phone – the Hydrogen One – which has just been officially announced for release this Friday.

Priced at an eye-watering $1,295 US dollars, the phone will launch Friday in AT&T stores and is being marketed as a “creative leap” beyond the top of the range phones on the market today – specifically Apple’s iPhone XS and Samsung’s Galaxy Note 9.

The phone includes a holographic ‘4 View’ screen which aims to deliver 3D experiences without glasses and 360-degree sound with or without headphones. The phone also boasts a rugged aluminium body with Kevlar panels and battery life said to be superior to the iPhone XS,

Movies available at launch which will make use of the glasses-free 3D include “Ready Player One” and “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”. So far only one review is up as of the time of publication, an in-depth video review which can best sum up the phone thus: “a complete mess”.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
It doesn't seem too long ago that the only way to phone someone - as we didn't have a house phone - was to nip to either the phone box a street or two away - or down to the launderette to use the coin-phone in there.

A communications device - usually taking the form of a futuristic wristwatch - where you could even see the other person on the other end speaking to you, while you were wearing a Flash Gordon helmet and were telling the household robot to get on with the cleaning, was literally a science fiction dream.

But now we have that technology on tap. (Except for the robot butler and the helmet.)

But I sometimes long for the comparative sanity of the times where people in a social setting would have no option but to talk.

Yes, throwing away all of this handheld technology would mean that lots of people would never survive a heart attack because you couldn't find a coin for the launderette payphone, but at least people would communicate more rather than disappearing onto twitter and facebook. Or photographing every meal that is put in front of them and sharing it with an uncaring ocean of non-friends.

There is no going back now, of course and throwing away the technology once coveted has become a longed for dream ironically. But our path seems to be a fairly insane one, where someone will film a car crash victim's last moments rather than call for help.

Or am I being too bleak - and the glass is half full rather than half empty?

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
It’s both. A cell phone is handy if your car breaks down, and I use it at the airport to get a taxi home (this cab service has an app). And hopefully if there’s a car crash a bystander will have the brains to call for help. But teenagers have back problems nowadays from looking at their phones all the time and annoying people block walkways because they have to take a picture of every damn thing. But I think if you’re an extrovert, you’ll still be social.

Over $1000 for a phone? Well there are people who will spend that much. Some people always need the latest thing with the most gadgets. I personally keep something as long as it works.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Giving up social media would be so hard for me. Healthy, but hard. Facebook can worsen my mood, actually, and I find myself sharing too much. It’s useful for some things though.

Twitter? I love Twitter. And I get so excited whenever somebody follows me or retweets something I’ve tweeted. Damn, I’m pathetic.

Btw I’ve tried to advertise this forum on social media. My friends don’t seem to be interested in forums like this.